General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

how did i do.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Squid

justin a. is on a distinguished road
how did i do.

So Monday i bought a 99 Honda superhawk 996 with 21,000 miles on it for $1200. While im not a new rider this is my first owned bike. How do u think i did did i get ripped off or did i make out ok? I also had a few more questions the front brakes are getting low there floating rotors is there a certain pad i need to get whats good. it has a dyno jet stage 2 kit in it but the previous owner said i had to go to a stage 3 to run the K&N air filter i got with the bike is this correct? And any more info u could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome Justin, you can drop the 996, not many original Honda Superhawk owners here, so we all know there is a 996.

Brakes, jetting, filter, well those are wide open questions and you will get lots of opinions on all those here.

Brakes, depends on what calipers you have, are the stock calipers or something else like GSXR or CBR moded.

Is the bike running bad? if not why are you ready to jump into jetting and filter stuff already.

$1,200 for a running and ridable bike is a great price, unless there is some hidden problem that is about to explode on you.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
well,for 1200,thats dam good.depends on how it looks and functions tho.
what bits and pieces came on/with the bike.if you have pics,post them up.let us take a look.
as for brakes,ebc hh are good,galfers.theres another type some riders us but dont know the name off the top of my head.
most peps have tried to use K&N and had no true success,most have stage1 kits and run oem filters.with fine tuning,it will run good.but what kind of exhaust is on it.
first things to look at is the cct's and the R/R.these are the parts that are always questionable.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Squid

well thanks for the replies i have the original calipers on it. I'm not planning on messing withe the carb or jetting its has a stage two already in it. the only reason i ask is the air filter in it now is pretty bad and i have a new k&n i got with the bike. i was told i could only put it in if i went to a stage 3 jet kit. it just sounded fishy to me but if its true ill just get a oem replacement. i have a jardine exhaust system on the bike ill work on getting some pic up. thanks again.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Squid

here's some pics sorry there a little dark i work all day and its pretty dark when i get home. what do u think i loved this bike the moment i saw it there's not alot of them around here.
Attached Thumbnails how did i do.-img_0407-mod.jpg   how did i do.-img_0410%5B1%5Dmod-.jpg   how did i do.-img_0412%5B1%5D-mod.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by justin a.
here's some pics sorry there a little dark i work all day and its pretty dark when i get home. what do u think i loved this bike the moment i saw it there's not alot of them around here.
Yep a steal, I got same exhaust, if you never plan to double, loose the rear pegs and mounts. Will clean the rear up a bit.

Others will differ, but if you have the K&N and feel inclined to try it as is with the jetting go for it. What do you have to lose other than a little time to go back in and remove tank and put an OEM back in if it doesn't work for you. Or you can of course go the majority route and buy OEM filter and get rid of the K&N. If you go that route and want to trash the K&N give me a shout, i can always use a spare.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Back Marker

Partsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome color...You did well..I just picked a similar one up in New Hampshire with bent valves.....for a running riding bike, especially one as cool as the Hawk you lucked out on a great deal from what I can see.....congrats..
Old 12-01-2011, 03:28 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Wow! If the engine internals and tranny are good, I'd say you got one hell of deal. Nice Bike. Welcome to the forum, you'll find a lot of useful information here.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 AM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
You did real well, that hawk looks pretty clean!
Can't go wrong for a running bike in that condition for that price.