General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tack day prep

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Tack day prep

Well for those of you that read about me leaving for the Air Force, that got delayed due to a shoulder injury so.... A track day may be in my not so far future. My question is what should I do to prep my bike aside from the the normal maintenance, air pressure, chain tension/lube, check all fasteners, etc? I have a PR3 on the rear and a PP3 on the front. Would I need to change the rear to a PP3 or should I get a set of track only to match front and rear? I have mirror block off plates, and know to tape the lights and wheel weights. I do not have water wetter in it yet, but that will happen. What am I not thinking of?
The suspension in the front has DMr internals
I have a Baxly sport chock, pit bull headlift, and Cycle grear rear lift, but I do not have tire warmers, are they needed?

On the protective side I'm set: Full leather suit, race boots, Snell/ECE helmet, back pro and good gloves.

As always with my quandaries; all input, advice, rude comments, or stories are welcome.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Safty wire the oil fill plug, its easy and the most common thing to back off while on the track if not safety tied, I normally do all my street only bikes as well in this spot because its such an easy problem to remedy and cheap insurance. Also safety tie your oil filter, Some K&N filters are set up to be easily tied but if not all it takes is a hose clamp thats big enough to go around the filter and some bailing wire (the oil drain plug is no more than some bailing wire and a small drill bit just big enough for the bailing wire, some people put a safety pin through the hole rather than the bailing wire but I don't like that method as much because I worry about the pin failing and causing someone else to have a blowout if it winds up in the track)

Remember that even though its a track and you can go as fast as possible, you also don't have to. Its more fun to ride a little slower and go home with your bike in one piece than to ride as hard as possible and come back with a pile of parts. Ride your own ride and don't let ego take hold if you get passed, just let them go and continue going at your own pace
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
You riding or trailering the bike to the track day?

Being exhausted riding home at the end of a track day is a bad idea' in the event of a get-off, even minor, you may or may not be able to ride the bike home anyways, due to injury or damage.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Superstock

I wouldn't think of riding to a track day. The plan would be trailer the bike there and spend the night before in the grandparents 35 ft 5th wheel to get a good rest before the day.

I will safety wire the filter and plug, thanks!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Do you have tire warmers? If not, try to borrow some. Go on the BARF forum and find the correct track pressure for you tires as its nowhere near street ones. Remove all rings and leave at home.

Bring zip ties and duct tape. Basic tools, scissors, windex, paper towels. A fan, extension cords and splitters. Canopy if no garages. Gas can. THE BIKE KEYS (dont ask how I know that one). Folding chair. GATORADE even though you think you wont need it. Lots of water. Protien bars, ear plugs (for equlibrium mgmt) A cooler, ice, etc.

Dont leave stuff to chance. Make a checklist and use it. You want your focus on the riding.

Remember, pretty much all the squids out there with you DONT know what they are doing, what the lines are, etc. Try to consult an instructor for that. Track days are like the blind leading the blind. Ride at your own pace and stay clear of the squids. Its not a race and those guys are NOT racers and may take you out at any minute.

Dont try heroic (or iffy) passes. Look UP the track. Be smooth on controls, light on bar input and relaxed. Better slow in hot out, than hot in and crash.

If no warmers, try extended lean and slowly increase pace.

If I think of anything else I will log back on.

.......................have fun. (or its a waste)
Old 09-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Superstock

Thanks for the input! I would be doing it through 2Z track day schools, bring a generator for fan/warmers (if I get a pair, can usually find for 100 on CL), canopy, and water/food (I'm over the top with this usually, too many range days in the sun). That was the input I was looking for, and I am there for me and my bike, not to impress the guy behind or infront of me. I'll be having fun just being there, same with dirt tracks. I go and pit for my friend just to be out there!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 AM
MotoGP

Oh and this may be the first time in history a shoulder injury caused a track day instead of prevented it.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Oh and this may be the first time in history a shoulder injury caused a track day instead of prevented it.
Yaaa.... I've never been a normal one. Got to take advantage of every situation. Good or bad right?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Superstock

One more directive question for now, Tires; I know this is a dangerous question. Will the PP3 and PR3 be ok and be streetable after the day or would it be prudent to get track tiers for the day and remount the tires I have now after. Also recommendations for track day tires would be appreciated if they are needed.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 PM
MotoGP

From what I know of the pr3, its a sport touring tire. I wouldn't consider it ideal for the track. It for sure is usable and buying a set of tires for one day isn't an attractive idea.

How many miles/how old are your tires? I have instructed at ducati track days with guys on their street bikes and tires. You can definitely find the limits of them on track.

For sure the dunlop qulifiers (q2s) are over 90% the grip of race tires. They are also streetable so you could use them on the track and have them be your next set of street tires.

At Loudon and NJMP the dunlop truck is there and will swap them out for free if you buy them there but maybe $10 if you bring them.

The ideal way to do it would be to buy some good take offs for like $100 a set. Lots of fast racers use them for practice or one race & sell them off with tons of life left. The dunlop guy usually has some for me if I need them.

As for michelin, you could just get another ppower. They are much softer than dunlops in the carcass and sidewall. Not as confidence inspiring to me. I have raced michelins, they grip great....until they dont, then just let go.

The dunlops will grip great, but slide predictably and forgive you.

Its a tough call. It depens on how you ride. The 2 arguments are: you will go too slow to even notice (which is true) and grippier tires will give more headroom for mistakes (also true).

98% chance you will be fine on what you have.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Superstock

I like the idea of using the tires I have for the obvious reason, cost effective. I just wanted to check to see if the sport touring would be a big red flag. I'll look into once used on CL, I would just be reserved to wait till the track day and count on them being available. Thanks for the great input. It would run 250 shipped for Q2s front and rear, or 165 shipped for PP3. So I will probably go on what I have and if I have to replace the tires after its a learning experience on durability. Main goal of the day is to learn and not leave a very expensive black and yellow trail of paint and plastic, red leahter, and ER trips on the track.

Last edited by KCCO; 09-27-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 PM
MotoGP

Wow, I always thought of michelins as more expensive.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Wow, I always thought of michelins as more expensive.
The 165 shipperd is for the rear only. The michelins are more expensive.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by KCCO
I like the idea of using the tires I have for the obvious reason, cost effective. I just wanted to check to see if the sport touring would be a big red flag. I'll look into once used on CL, I would just be reserved to wait till the track day and count on them being available. Thanks for the great input. It would run 250 shipped for Q2s front and rear, or 165 shipped for PP3. So I will probably go on what I have and if I have to replace the tires after its a learning experience on durability. Main goal of the day is to learn and not leave a very expensive black and yellow trail of paint and plastic, red leahter, and ER trips on the track.
Do you have a cycle gear near you? Mine is running an in store only deal that most of them are supposed to be running for a COMPLETE set of Parelli Diablos or Bridgestone BT016's front and rear for $215 for the pair. I hate the Bridgestone Buttcrax tires They took forever to warm up and had no feel to them on my ancient tech 2000 YZF600R (that was designed in 96 originally, pre R6) But I love the Parelli's (and I think the Parelli's were $10 cheaper)
Old 09-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Superstock

Hmm.. I do, and that sounds reasonable for a track day tire. Should I expect to get a few track days out of them? I know I wont be riding too hard. Anyone have experience on the Diablos with the SH? Also looking at revzilla I can get the Q3s within dollars of the Q2s... Too many options.

Last edited by KCCO; 09-28-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Superstock

Quick email to Jamie gave the recommendation of Q2, Q3, or BT016. So it looks like Q3 will be the winner! My only reserve would be that the tire truck that will be there is Pirelli and they can offer rider support (starting PSI for the day etc) if I run their rubber.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Superstock

Quick email to Jamie gave the recommendation of Q2, Q3, or BT016. So it looks like Q3 will be the winner! My only reserve would be that the tire truck that will be there is Pirelli and they can offer rider support (starting PSI for the day etc) if I run their rubber.
Q3's over Q2's or Buttcrax for me, but the Diablo's are a good choice as well. The diablo is a good track day tire and is in the same catagory as the q3's and battalax tires. In the end it all boils down to personal preference of brand. Everybody is going to have a different opinion on all the brands and the Battalax tires I had problems with were an older higher mileage generation that came factory on the YZF, nobody liked them from what I recall. But I never liked bridgestone in General and honestly Dunlops have always been my tire of choice, and I know there are A LOT of people who would disagree with me I always ran D205's and when they were phased out the D220 (which I didn't care for as much as the 205) I'd run the 220's on the hawk if they made a rear big enough for it but they don't recommend the tires for liter bikes because they are a very hard rubber and easy about slipping under load.

Also for what its worth I always have about 1-2 inches of chicken strip on my tires. I've never pushed a bike very hard and probably should be riding a cruiser and not a sport bike But I'm all about wearing race leathers all the time and would look pretty goofy riding a cruiser

Last edited by insulinboy; 09-29-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 AM
MotoGP

Not to sound biased but I hate pirelis. I garage with 6 racers at the track. The 3 who tried pirelis actually pitted right back in thinking the had a flat. (these guys were 5yr licensed racers)

Only after much suspension tuning with the pireli and gmd guy could the come to terms
Old 09-29-2013, 01:31 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Take someone with you to help lots of things to do and you will need to rest in between sets dont drink the night before be clear headed. look way in front of where your are it slows things down watch twist the grip or read it before you go good way to wake the brain up

I found out if you have forgot something if your wife or gf is hot they tend to be able to get to barrow stuff you would not get. LOL I know Men are weak but same ideal at the bar female bartender men gets the drinks male bartender female gets the drinks faster.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Superstock

Stumpy, I am underage so on beer for me. Thanks for the heads up on bringing someone with me. For the book are you talking about a twist of the wrist?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
I ran the Mich Pilot Road 2 rear and a Pilot Power front on my Blackbird for a trackday.
I brought the pressures down a bit from street pressure. The rear was fine running slower "I"ntermediate pace. If this is your first trackday, you most likely would be in a novice group and might be fine with the PR3 rear.
The Power3 is a very good tire for the track.

Now, about the Diablo. If it's just the Pirelli Diablo - it ain't a deal at $20, let alone $200.

I currently use the Diablo Rosso Corsa for my SH (trackday only bike). The are great tires, great wear. No tire warmers needed. I am now running about mid-intermediate pace.

So, depending on your riding "pace"....if you've never done a TD, your current tires will probably be ok.
If you're a genuinely really fast street rider, you may be a little quicker than the PR3 can deliver grip for you on the track. In that case, another Pilot Power 3 would be a good choice (to match your front).

Good Luck & have fun!!

(I second the suggestion to NOT forget your key!!)
Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Superstock

Thanks for the input, I will be in a nocive group with a track day school, Z2. I'm not saying that I'm fast, I just want to error on the side of caution when it comes to grip. I was looking for someone who had experience with the PP3, as that would only be one tire and not two.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Stumpy, I am underage so on beer for me. Thanks for the heads up on bringing someone with me. For the book are you talking about a twist of the wrist?

Yes twist of the wrist LOL
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
then get the Power3 rear. Those are really overkill for most novice groups.
That tire is the replacement for the Pilot Power Pure, btw.

A few guys I ride with use the PP3's for trackdays. Very good feedback on them.
You should be fine on those.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Superstock

Thanks for the info again. I know the PR3 could do it, but I dont want to tear up my road tire there. The PP3 it shall be. I'm hoping for this to be the first of many track days. I have a feeling that I will be hooked....not that I have an addictive personality at all (insert the mods and work to the street bike, truck, dirtbike, and hours spent shooting and climbing)
Old 11-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Superstock

So to revive a older thread. I ended up getting Superbike pros under some bad advice, only paid 70 for a good pair though... Good thing my neighbor set me right before I hit the track. BUT it ended up good. I am trading them for a set of Rosso 2 with a ton of tread left all over. Not too bad of a deal in the long run, just took a while.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ay-tips-14792/
Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Superstock

Thanks for the input! I would be doing it through 2Z track day schools,
Awesome place to do your first track day (sorry I just saw this part of the post) I have a friend Kevin Fanady that does Photography with 4theriders.com that shoots their events. He does awesome work and will make you look like you're going a lot faster than you are
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I take it he photoshops all the bikes yellow?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
I take it he photoshops all the bikes yellow?