General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Swingarm/linkage

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 02:34 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Swingarm/linkage

So time to lube my swingarm & linkage. Its been so long that I forgot whats in there. Do I need to press or tap out the bearings or just pack them with grease?
Partzilla for the needle bearings?
Old 04-12-2019, 02:41 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewt...p?f=31&t=11809
Old 04-12-2019, 05:02 AM
MotoGP

I went ahead and ordered the swingarm bearings but looks like the linkage may be the culprit. Hmm.

Wicky thank you for the link.

Has anyone done this job with a drift like head bearings or do I need the bearing puller?
Old 04-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I went ahead and ordered the swingarm bearings but looks like the linkage may be the culprit. Hmm.

Has anyone done this job with a drift like head bearings or do I need the bearing puller?
Getting the old bearings out is the easy part, installing the new ones without damage the harder part. Personally id chose not to do it if I did not have the proper install tool. No doubt someone will be along to "Mechanicsplane" (New word I just made up) how they have installed many thin shell bearings with just a claw hammer and piece formica cut from dads workshop bench...and I applaud them if it worked.

I have neither the time nor inclination to try it like that... Id rather pay someone if needed then bodge the job and have to do it twice.

If you choose to try and hammer in new bearings, Id suggest you heat the link to 200 deg f or so, and freeze the bearings. Pre plan and test your driving tools and how far you plan on seating the bearings, how you will hold the link...,,,and once everything is ready, be quick, aggressive and drive the bearing in.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73

Mine many moons ago were very corroded - once the core of the needle bearings was removed (literally fell out) it neded careful use of a dremel to carefully thin the outer diameter of the bearing so they could be more easily removed. New ones were hydraulically pressed in. It's in the thread I linked to.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

Wicky that is a really long thread and the pics don't come through. Good info & thanks.

Where did the bearings in the pic come from? Swinger or linkage?
Old 04-13-2019, 02:54 AM
SuperBike

Linkage

New bearings sourced from your average commercial bearing factors at half-third of cost of OEM.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:23 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
Linkage

New bearings sourced from your average commercial bearing factors at half-third of cost of OEM.
True of your prices for OEM stuff in the UK, much less so for us in the US. And depending on what part of the US or even what part of the US state your in, its highly likely there will be no local bearing supplier.
I live in Texas, its an hour to the nearest bearing supplier, one of the US biggest names and international as well....if it is common bearing like say a wheel bearing, they will likely have it on hand, a thin shell needle bearing used on power sports toys, not likely, and the torrington bearing? Be lucky if they can source that at all, and if so, its an order deal.. so two trips to the store....

On the other hand I can order OEM parts for pennies on the dollar for what you pay for them in the UK (WTF is up with that, its an imported part to either the US or UK from Japan why are UK blokes paying 2 or 3 times the cost) and have the parts in my hands in a few days, no fuss, no wrong parts, OEM quality