General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

sv650s vs honda f4

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Back Marker

thegreep
Re: sv650s vs honda f4

All the bikes are good these days, and I would never give any rider (except maybe those Harley freaks) any crap, because generally the only one that will help you when you need it is a fellow rider.

However, Just to talk a little about reliability, I just sold my 1984 Interceptor 700 with 50000 miles on it. This is the third time I have parted with it (and I imagine it will eventually come back to me again), and through all the owners very little has needed to be done to keep it on the road.
The only things I've ever done were for performance and looks save for adding a switch to manually turn on the fan. The thing was bulletproof, and I heard rumblings when I bought it (the first time) about 10 years ago That they had oiling problems on the front cyl bank, but no problems with mine.
Regular oil changes with a good oil makes tons of difference I think, as well as just plain keeping it clean. I would challenge anyone else with a different make bike to say that they have had to do virutually no maintence on that age of bike.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

My one buddy with the sv and gsxr1000s is real **** about his bikes. The gsxr has about 23000 miles on it and it still looks like the day he brought it home in 2000. So obviously he does all preventive matainence even before it's recommended.
He owned an 1100 and a TLs before those and I really can't remember him having problems. I'm not going to judge all the suzukis by his experience though as I already said that my other freinds sv650s is broken just after a year and it was new as well.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

Hey greep I had an '84 vfr1000f I think it had about 32000 when I sold it! My brother had the 500 as his first street bike. Light weght and 16in front wheel don't go good together!!! Less then 6 months on crappy Connecticut roads and it tankslaped him off.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:52 PM
MotoGP

Ask v2weapon he just sold me some Jardine high mounts for a hellava deal!! Thanks again DR. Or since I gave you money can I call you Adam now?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:00 PM
MotoGP

Sorry did that sound rude I've never had any coif.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Squid

v2weapon
Jardine is the official race exhaust for Honda. 'Nuff said! 8)

Remember, your exhaust will sound totally different from our VTRs. The Jardine Race systems are loud, but very nice on a V-twin. On a CBR I'd say the Jardine standard systems would probably sound best. The Yosh pipes are metallic sounding and shrieky, which appeals to some, but not me. The Jardine standard slip on will give your bike a deep, low growl that will not increase in pitch a lot as you wind it up, which is the most annoying thing about most I-4 slip-ons. And if you have a choice between polished or painted, choose the painted can unless you like playing Karate Kid (wax on, wax off) to re-polish the can once a month.

And I'm Adam here...unless you work for me. If you work for me, and you're watching this forum, get back to work, slacker. Only the boss gets to play. 8)

BTW, ekathryn86, are we calling you Kathryn, Kathy, Katie, E-girl, or what?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:46 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

back on the topic of the sv650... back when it first came out, and for a few years afterwards... i really liked the sv... it was lite.. and really fun to ride around town... i don't know about taking it on long trips... but i prolly wouldn't do that with any 600cc bike. but today... man is it ugly.. i was at the dealership today checking on out while i waited, could not believe how ugly they have become...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:04 PM
MotoGP

And I'm Adam here...unless you work for me. If you work for me, and you're watching this forum, get back to work, slacker. Only the boss gets to play.
My friends call me Adam.
It's Doctor Bradley to you. Thanks Adam Ineeded a laugh.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Squid

Quebecer

Even though I like the looks of some other bikes out there, some are really ugly. That called personal taste and can't be discussed, I can't judge someone's bike caus it doesn't look good to me. Though we certainly can judge reliability. Hondas are like tanks. I ve been riding my 1979 XL 185 in the woods for about 8 years. I use it about 10 times a summer and the engine will start at first kick (clean the spark plug, put a little fuel in cylinder and it's ready for the season). I think we all had the good reasons to pick Honda for our bikes.

Even if my opinion for other bikes isn't that positive, yesterday while riding my brothers Camaro I passed a ZX-10 and it was very cute girl driving. God that was nice. I only wish I was on my bike at that time !!! I cute girl on a sportbike is one of the sexyest things you can imagine whatever the bike she is riding.

Us guys are really competitive between each other but when it comes to a girl rider, we don't giva a crap what she's riding, she already won our heart.

A lot of the guys out there never rode a R1 before buying one. People think that bike is cool because of the marketing around it, and yes it does impress people. Does it mean the bike is good and powerful ? NO . When you see a guy on his R1 you think : dumb innocent showoff !!! But when you see a girl on the same bike you think : Damn that chick is wild!!!

If i knew nothing about mechanics and my only demand in a bike was good looks, I would probably look at the R1 too. Guys riding Yams and Kawas is the same phenomenon as people driving Tiburons, it looks good but is as reliable as mexican VW.

A lot of people want to have the nicest, most powerful bike out there but dont even stop a second to investigate on it's reliability. I personally don't give a crap if my bike is not a fast as a gixxer 1000 or if people prefer the R1's looks, in the long run i'll be riding on my machine while these guys wait for their's to be repaired.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Back Marker

thegreep

Speaking of the looks of hte R1, although it's off subject, I think that is the best looking new bike out there this year. If looks were all that mattered, though, I would not be in a very good place in life. . . .
Old 07-08-2005, 07:35 AM
MotoGP

I have always liked the looks of the R1, it's sexy yeah baby and now I'm spent. Sorry brain full off useless movie quotes.

I was going to buy one instead of the hawk but comfort and insurance changed my mind.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:58 AM
MotoGP

Don't sweat your choice Kathryn, just about all of us here learned on 600 I-4s as you should. The cbr is one of the best 600s out there in all regards and as it was stated before a woman on a sport bike is one of the sexiest things on the road!! IMHO
Old 07-08-2005, 08:23 AM
Squid

v2weapon
You thought out your choice more thoroughly than most guys. I've watched guys who've never sat on a bike before walk into the dealership with the newest issue of Motorcyclist Magazine under their arm, and walk out with a payment book and insurance bill for a new liter bike. One guy was leaving the parking lot on his new GSXR1000 (after talking his wealthy fiance into paying cash for it) and plowed into the side of a parked Tahoe...which happened to belong to the sales girl who had just sold him the bike. Since he paid cash, he had no insurance, the bike was totalled, her Tahoe had $3000 worth of damage, and he got to spend the night in the hospital. He owned the bike for a total of about 20 minutes, and it ended up being a $20k mistake...not to mention the suffering and recovery time of his broken bones, and the money lost from time off work.

Your choice is a good one, Kathryn. Now go get that Jardine system and ride that *****.

Oh, and BTW...

*****WE*****
*****WANT*****
*****PICTURES*****
*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*****
Old 07-08-2005, 09:03 AM
MotoGP

Yeah I have a similar story. My brother used to be in motorcycle sales and he was one of the few with a conscience. A guy came in to buy a Hyabusa so my brother asked what kind of exp. he had, the guy told him none. Long story short my brother refused to sell him the bike so the guy asked for another sales rep. This salesmen didn't care about anything but the allmighty dollar so he sold him the busa. Ironically he ended up in my wifes truma unit two days after stumbling and stalling out of the parking lot.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Squid

Quebecer
suprise suprise
Old 07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Back Marker

thegreep

I hear you, while not as far north, at 4200 feet SLC gets about the same, I often have to stop by the end of october and don't start until late march or early april. My rule of thumb-If it's withtin 5 degrees of freezing in the morning the ride won't even be enjoyable.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:03 PM
MotoGP

I had a rule when I lived in Conn. 50f or above we ride anything elese is too cold.

Now that I live in FL. it's 60 or above the blood has thinned out since moving!!

Also riding weather is backwards here can't ride as much in summer due to extreme heat and rain!! But that leaves the rest of the year!!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Adam, or should I say the doctor.
I would like to see pictures of your new CBR, you mentioned that it had a nice paint job.

So where is it?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:57 PM
MotoGP

Easy gentlemen Kathryn might be a little camera shy. Not to mention you all sound like a bunch of whinning dogs!!

But seriouslly Kathryn were's the pics.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:47 PM
MotoGP

can you tell this is a mostly male dominated forum??? hah!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Squid

v2weapon

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Not to mention you all sound like a bunch of whinning dogs!!
Whining dog is a step up for me. Flattery will get you nowhere!
Old 07-08-2005, 10:18 PM
MotoGP

yeah.. i was about to say... i really like the paint on that bike.. flat black is cool though.. but only if the entire bike is flat black.. frame swing arm... like i said, i really like that color!
Old 07-09-2005, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

Looks good, What they do is use the yellow as a base color and then layer the paint to get the effect, otherwise known as "flipflop" or "pearl".

My old man has a mystic mustang with a green to purple effect, and yes they are a pain to touch up! All blacked out would look interesting though.

Quick Reply: sv650s vs honda f4