General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

sv650s vs honda f4

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:07 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: sv650s vs honda f4

Apples to oranges my freind. The sv is a standard not a race rep. like the cbr so of course it will out handle the sv. As far as comfort as with any bike it is realitive to what feels most comfortable for you.

Power wise you are talking about a twin cylinder bike of about the same cc's againts a four cylynder bike, thats not really fair. That would be like putting the superhawk againts a gsxr 1000. In tight coners I can keep up with a gexer but there's no way in hell I could in a straight line.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Squid

v2weapon
Girl, he's riding a SUZUKI! Dump him quick.

I think you just got a crash course in what many of us already know; the SV may look like a VTR and sound like a VTR...but it's a Suzuki. Among the import sportbike makers, Suzuki is at the bottom of the food chain. Even their flagship GSXR1000 got dissed by the ZX-10R TWICE on motorcycledaily.com. And the Motorcyclist magazine editorials showed the staffers preferred the CBR1000RR as a better street bike.

Honda builds better bikes than Suzuki, period. Having said that, keep in mind that the VTR comes with softly sprung forks, also. Homologated "race replicas" do get better suspension pieces, fact of life. CBRs like yours have donated their forks to many a Superhawk as a cheap racetrack upgrade...mine included. And mine is about to get a GSXR front end...how truly ironic. Plus, suspension setup (if he's even bothered dialing it in) for a 6'2" man is going to be very different than for a 5'7" woman...unless he's seriously thin, or you're carrying lead in your pockets.

...but seriously, did you KNOW he rode a Suzuki before you started dating him???? I hope, for your sake, that if you ever ride two-up, it's on the CBR. At least then you won't both end up walking. :P
Old 07-04-2005, 09:23 AM
MotoGP

Yeah my buddy has the sv650s and I had the same feeling. Great for beginners but I thought it would get old quick. Another freind has the sv1000s which was alot nicer but I agree Honda fit and finish is superior in my opinion.

As far as the ZX, all I keep reading about them is they need steering stabalizers BADD!! The RC51 on the other hand is alot more secure feeling as well as the different power delivery. Could be another reason he liked the RC better.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:54 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I read somewhere that RC's suck for wheele'ing which I figured would be the opposite.

The SV badly needs front suspension work and with a pipe and jets set up properly, they go much faster than they have any right to. IMO its an extremely user friendly bike that expert riders can still get a kick out of.

Can't really compare it to an F4. Its whatever your taste is.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:06 AM
MotoGP

Sorry I ment the 650 on the street in stock form. I know people who ride them on the track and in the corners they are faasst. I mean impressivly fast like with an expert rider can kick my butt fast.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Back Marker

thegreep
Welcome to feeling the red as well as riding red . . . I have had a lot of bikes both on and off road, and Honda is still the king in my book too.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:35 PM
MotoGP

I started on a Yamaha yz 80 back in '79 it was a 78 and I was 9 yrs old. moved up to a professionally raced '82 Yz 80 that had all works performance suspension. The kid I bought it off rebuilt the engine but didn't hone or bore it so I seized it shortly after. Blessing in disguse, bore it out to the limit and was smoking 125s and keeping up to 250s!! The yzs had a wacky power band and my brother who always rode red was a wheelie king of our neighborhood he rode cr250. Anyway he took my bike tried to show off doing wheelies and it fliped him over and broke his colarbone.

That story was kinda outa no where but still makes me laugh. I started out on I fours as well then had a v4 interceptor 1000 for a while then back to an i4 600 but got tired of revving and shifting thats why I like the vtwin, set it and forget it. The horespower #s are actually sim. to your cbr it just has more of it's power down low where it's more useable.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:22 AM
MotoGP

Use this to go to motorcyclest scroll down. They have the numbers for almost any bike you could think of.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/performancedata/

Happy searching.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:24 AM
MotoGP

Sorry much too late to be spelling correctly.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Squid

Quebecer
Well I got to say that you guys are right. When I'm not driving my Firestorm (Damn Canadian winter !!!) I drive a Honda Accord and when I want to hit the woods, I get on my 1979 Honda XL 185 (that bike i never gonna die, put some fresh fuel and oil and your back on the track).

These asian guys know what their doing!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

People always hate what they can't understand or are jealous of. But seriously I think honda was so big and on top for so long people just started hateing them. But how do you argue with success!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Squid

v2weapon
What totally cracks me up is when someone says they bought a GSXR1000 over a CBR1000RR because a magazine review favored the gixxer by a couple horsepower, or a couple pounds. Get real, on the street nobody can tell a difference between a 390 lb bike and a 400 lb bike, or feel a difference between 120 hp @ 10k rpm and 125 hp @ 11k rpm. Honda is never that far off the bleeding-edge standard that I would consider another brand. They're all good, but Honda's quality, reliability, fit and finish are always superior. (BTW, I honestly think ALL the current I-4 liter bikes are so much overkill on the street it's hysterical. Unless your last name is Hayden or Rossi, you'll never come close to approaching the capabilities of these bikes on the street.)

And if you really want to see me laugh, join into the chorus of critics who call the RC51 "heavy." Swap on a carbon fiber exhaust system and a few other bits (like EVERYBODY does) and suddenly it's within a couple pounds of any other liter bike out there. Heavy? Try a Vulcan 2000...THAT'S heavy.

Over the years I've owned every brand out there, including H-D, Buell, Triumph, and Aprilia. When you find a winner, you stick with it. Is the Hayabusa faster than the Blackbird? Yes. Given the choice, would I buy a 'busa over an XX? Nope. I don't ride a spec sheet. Honda rules. My VTR has over 20k miles on it, and spent the last 3 years on a racetrack getting continuously hammered...and it purrs like a kitten (roars like a lion). Try that on a Suzuki. 8)
Old 07-07-2005, 11:23 AM
MotoGP

By the way one of my buddies owns the sv650s it's just over a year old, (which is when the warranty runs out of course) and he's already having a charging problem!!! Suzuki told him bring it down we'll look at it, for 85 bucks an hour WHAT!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Squid

Quebecer

I think I just doesn't make sens asking Honda guys what's better : Kawa, suzuki or Honda. Of course their all gonna say it's Honda. Go on the SV Forum and ask them which is better. On my side, I'm really happy that some guys ride Kawas and suzukis, if everybody was riding Honda, the motorcycle world wouldn't be what it is right now. Competiton between the constructors is what gives us better performance, comfort ,technologie and better prices of course. I don't want everybody to ride a Honda, I want to keep kicking these Katana and ninja owners asses.

Harley Davidson enthousiasts complained in the 90's that Honda shadows looked and sounded like Harleys. At that time H-D was very close to bankruptcy. They had no choice to develop better quality and better image of their bikes. H-D riders should be happy to see a Shadow on the street, if it wasn't there, his H-D would still be in the garage being repared for another stupid unreliable part.

Plus, I think a tight competition is what biking is all about, what would you talk about when you meet your fellow motocyclists if they are all riding the same bike as you.

Thank god for suzuki, Kawasaki and all the other bikes we wouldn't want to own or ride, they make us different and better.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
MotoGP

I agree with everything you said, in my opinion everyone on two wheels is a brother, sorry, or sister.

Personally, whenever I ride I give a freindly wave to every bike that goes by no matter what the emblem on the tank says. But it's kind of funny that for the most part the ones that say HD. and BMW are the ones that rarely ever wave back.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Squid

Quebecer
I also noticed that, I think these guys think they are from a different breed. I also wave any rider out there, but don't normally expect a wave back from these in my opinion snobbish motorcyclists. I mean, there is a bike for everyone out there, either you have a scooter or a trik, w'are all brothers aren't we?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:13 PM
MotoGP

Ya nailed it SNOBS!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ekathryn86";p=&quot
Yea, I knew he was into bikes and Suzukis.
I've got a buddy who just got a ZX-10, he doesn't know if he likes it though. He went from an RC-51 to that soo I'm thinking he misses power wheeling in 3rd. Crazy bastard.
a stock ZX10R will power wheelie at 230km/h in 3rd gear. An RC will not, without lots of mods.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

The great debate continues.......... I have to again be the voice of reason.

Its nice that your bike has 10 more horse power than mine, too bad the rider is 25lbs heavier than I am Do you think that matters?!!

I think its great that you bike has more hp than mine, too bad you cant crack the throttle in corners, and power out like I can.

What a shame that I dont have your bike.

Spec sheets are nice but there are variables.

I will anyday take a bike that is better on the street than on the racetrack. How often are you on the racetrack? How often do I ride on the street.

Katheryn -

I am glad that you got a new bike and all is well with you. A CBR was my first bike and I still have fond memories of it. I sold it with 36K miles on it - it was still going strong.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:04 PM
MotoGP

I have owned all types of bikes in many different brands. My first dirt bikes were all Yamahas. I've owned a couple of Suzuks, a Kawaski 750 turbo and a bunch of Hondas. I ride with my brother who rides Buell and my best freind has both the sv1000 and gsxr1000.

Bikes are like anything else they are bought and ridden for peoples own personal tastes. There is nothing wrong with me thinking all choppers should burn in hell even though they are the most popular things out there right now. Just as it is fine for all the brainwashed chopper lovers to love them.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Squid

v2weapon
Freedom of choice is great, and I'm all for it. My g/f works at a Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki dealership, and one of my best friends is a mechanic at the same shop. Anybody care to guess which of the four brands has the poorest reliability record? That would be Suzuki, boys and girls. And the numbers don't lie, despite the members of svrider.com and gixxer.com shouting their protest. And FYI, it's not about being a snob. I'll ride with Suzuki owners. I'll drink with Suzuki owners. I even help my friends fix their Suzukis...again...and again...and again.

I agree with Quebecer, it's nice to be distinguished from the poor fools who don't know better. It just saddens me to see enthusiastic riders lingering around the Service department in hopes that their broken Suzuki will finally be back on the road...for a while. I feel this compulsion to discourage anyone from buying one. It's all in vain, because obstinate kids will buy what motojournalists hype, even if it's destined to end up in the salvage yard around the time the last payment is made on it.

Quick Reply: sv650s vs honda f4