General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Is it Suspention or Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
Is it Suspention or Tires?

Hi guys, so i am having a bit of trouble.
I don't have allot of time to ride so in almost 5 years of riding i put only 4K miles or so between two bikes.
Almost two years ago i had a small crash on a left had turn and have not been able to get back in to proper riding since, (still afraid in my mind), hve problems turning. However, yesterday i think i also may have found additional cause for me not being able to relax on the turns.
I have noticed that at speeds of 40 and over the steering wiggles a bit. Also when going on and off the Highway ramps my steering wobbles, half an inch or so (naturally gets me scared and uncomfortable). Then on the highway going about 100 i kept slowing down around small bends because it felt like allot of side wind pushing me out of the lane and my cousin who was right behind me told me he was perfectly fine and no side wind.
i know what i had yesterday is not in my head, it has to be the bike.
Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
possible, steering bearing ? is there play or wiggle in the head post ?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Not enough saddle time.. I was riding again before my staples were removed after my accident largely so as to not have the fear issue.

As for the "wobble" it could be tires or the steering bearing, or it could just be normal as the bike will react to the environment. Is it always the same stretch of road that the bike wobbles over 40? Or is it anywhere?

I would look first at the tires, proper inflation and no cupping etc.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Back Marker

Head post is solid, tires are less than 700 miles new, proper inflation. wiggles all the time, no matter where, sometimes very subtle sometimes a bit more.
And yes not enough saddle time for sure, but i permanently screwed up my knee with that fall and it's just something i'm still fighting with in my head.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Even with newish tires if the tire is worn to have ridges it can cause nice little wobbles like that...

A lot of highway miles or corners?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
You are describing headshake, which indicates there is something amiss. The VTR is normally stable and not prone to this.
I would check the front end very carefully, removing the wheel and forks, and checking all components for straightness. Also do a front to rear alignment check.
In my case I found the left lower fork bushes were worn. Check the wheel balance and mounting too.
Reassemble, paying particular attention the the bolt tighening sequence.

Hey Tweety, your avatar needs attention, doesn't match your current bike!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:36 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by revhead1957
You are describing headshake, which indicates there is something amiss. The VTR is normally stable and not prone to this.
I would check the front end very carefully, removing the wheel and forks, and checking all components for straightness. Also do a front to rear alignment check.
In my case I found the left lower fork bushes were worn. Check the wheel balance and mounting too.
Reassemble, paying particular attention the the bolt tighening sequence.

Hey Tweety, your avatar needs attention, doesn't match your current bike!
The VTR will also exhibit signs of "headshake" when you have ridges on the rear wheel...

Yeah, but the avatar is there for nostalgic purposes...
Old 06-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Back Marker

well mostly straight riding, and i got these front and back...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx
Old 06-19-2010, 11:53 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

did it do before the somewhart aggressive tread was on ??? if not did those tires seat on the bike during your down time ?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
I would replace your steering stem bearings too, they could cause a bit of a shake if the cups are dimpled.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:53 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
here's some help with the doubts about your riding skills...there's lot's of pointers on looking where you want to go, decreasing radius turns etc...helped me quite a bit...there's some superfluous stuff in there, so make sure you check out all of the pages...

http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle_riding/index.html
Old 06-19-2010, 01:58 PM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
here's some help with the doubts about your riding skills...there's lot's of pointers on looking where you want to go, decreasing radius turns etc...helped me quite a bit...there's some superfluous stuff in there, so make sure you check out all of the pages...

http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle_riding/index.html

Really an amazing site to check out.....
Old 06-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Squid

midwest22 is on a distinguished road
Ive been on a lot of bikes. Without a dampner you may find a little headshake on the road. An excessive amount is something you should investigate. Check all the components of your suspension.

As for your comfort level after an accident, I can understand. While this is advice is probably too late, you should always get back up as fast as you can. The longer the wait, the more you stand to burn the fear in your mind. After a stupid mistake I made that lead to riding off a cliff in 2001 I got right back on the bike, once I was able to walk again (3 months). Then I rode the same spot where the accident occurred over and over until I was able to convince myself that I could overcome the fear.

Last year my g'friend got her license and has been having a hard time getting over her fears of the twisties. You might want to take the advice I told her, sing! As you are approaching something that makes you nervous, start singing a song you enjoy. It will take your mind off the fear.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:25 PM
MotoGP

A stock VTR is rock solid without a steering damper... No headshake what so ever... Not needed unless you kan get your knee down on a track...
Old 06-19-2010, 07:52 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
If your tires are newly installed(700 miles?), check that the line next to the rim is even all the way around both front and rear wheels. Drop your pressure 5 lbs. Is the mark on your top triple centered when you riding straight? can you take your hands off the bars while your going downhill and stay straight consistently? Are your tires/wheels balanced? When you're approaching a stop sign on front brake, is te front smooth or rough?

Concerning your fear, you need to understand that it has a purpose: i.e., so you don't exceed yourself and get hurt or killed. Fear needs to be put on the backburner in favor of focus. You just need seat time to get your **** back together. Analyze the accident you had and figure out why it occurred and how it could have been prevented and learn from it. Discipline yourself to practice by riding the same curvy road back and forth repeatedly till you feel comfortable and remember,"go slow to go fast".

You'll never get over the fear with the miles you're running. You need to ride to get good, so get your *** in gear and ride that dam thing everywhere, and then if your still tenative, find another sport.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:48 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm... I suprised no one has stated the obvious. You shouldn't be going 100 (I'm assuming mph not kph as you live in IL) on a bike that your not comfortable with. Anybody can twist the throttle in a straight line. Based on what you have said above, sooner or later you will reach a curve you are not prepare for. I'm not knocking your skills or your bike, but as you've said, there is likely something that needs to get sorted.
Have your buddy ride your bike - and you ride his. Take it easy, but see if you find the same instability on his bike. Then talk about it with him. Find out if he feels anything wrong with your bike.
I'm relatively new to the Shawk myself only had it a little over a year. Been riding for many years on and off but was new to a relatively light sport bike, so what your saying is familiar to me. If your buddy finds nothing wrong with your bikes handling then simply get more time in the saddle. AND stay sub tripple digits until you are comfortable with the handling. It is far more satisfying to master 60mph twisties then a 100+ straight line.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Syclone
I would replace your steering stem bearings too, they could cause a bit of a shake if the cups are dimpled.
Bingo...that's the first thing I thought of. My Bandit started exhibiting the same behavior years ago, and I thought I could adjust the bearings, and when I went to, I discovered that the races were dimpled. When you are riding, and the bearing race isn't smooth, those small dimples start acting as steering inputs, and cause a feedback oscillation. It will likely only get worse. Get this checked out, and try to relax when you ride. If you are tense, you are only putting more unwanted control inputs into the bars.

-R
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by malahhaor
well mostly straight riding, and i got these front and back...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx
That doesn't look like the best tire choice for a SuperHawk, in my opinion. Very blocky tread, and it has a center groove, which will track in rain grooves or any irregularities or ridges in the pavement.

And +1 on not gripping the bars like you're trying to squeeze a lemon.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Squid

Sometimes I think forums cause more issues than they solve (if you have OCD). My SH is new to me (only put on around 200 miles). Its in the same situation as the original poster: newish tires (Dunlop D208's I believe), with minor shaking. However, the shaking only occurs between 40 - 60 mph. Anything above or below and its fine. I dont know much of the history of the bike other than it has zero signs of being down and its got 16k on the odometer.

Im used to an '08 600RR with a stabilizer so its rock solid. And Ive got an old '85 VF500 that shakes like a wet dog if you arent hanging on (but never cared about it since its the trainer for the g'friend and she cant seem to keep it up right). And I cant remember if my '98 VFR ever had the same issue...which with my OCD it leads me to believe it didnt.

Anyone in the Orange County, CA area with a Superhawk care to trade bikes for few miles to see if its just in my head (no pun intended).
Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by midwest22
Sometimes I think forums cause more issues than they solve (if you have OCD). My SH is new to me (only put on around 200 miles). Its in the same situation as the original poster: newish tires (Dunlop D208's I believe), with minor shaking. However, the shaking only occurs between 40 - 60 mph. Anything above or below and its fine. I dont know much of the history of the bike other than it has zero signs of being down and its got 16k on the odometer.

Im used to an '08 600RR with a stabilizer so its rock solid. And Ive got an old '85 VF500 that shakes like a wet dog if you arent hanging on (but never cared about it since its the trainer for the g'friend and she cant seem to keep it up right). And I cant remember if my '98 VFR ever had the same issue...which with my OCD it leads me to believe it didnt.

Anyone in the Orange County, CA area with a Superhawk care to trade bikes for few miles to see if its just in my head (no pun intended).
Shake at the speed you mention, not above or below, indicates a balance problem. If you have a front stand, set it up, then push the brake pads back so they aren't touching the rotors. Then rotate the wheel 90 degrees. If it stays put, balance is okay, but if it rotates there is a heavy spot which will end up on the bottom. Repeat this check, 90 degrees at a time, until you've gone through a full revolution.

My '05 is solid as a rock, without a steering damper and with over 40,000 miles. I have seen an indicated 135 mph with no shake, just a little *** puckering due to a gusty cross wind.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:03 PM
MotoGP

Not half an hour ago I did 125'ish indicated, on a smooth newly re-surfaced highway, middle of the night dead calm, no wind and I know the road... Balanced myself with the knees, and took my hands of the bars (lifted them until they just about didn't touch...) and coasted about a mile... Not a shimmy... Then I turned of next exit and caned it throught the twisties home...

And my bike is setup with a raised *** and slightly lower fork... I would say in comparasion to stock it's outright twitchy... And no I'm not running a steering damper, and I won't unless someone hands me one for free... Or if I go racing with the bike...
Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Shake at the speed you mention, not above or below, indicates a balance problem. If you have a front stand, set it up, then push the brake pads back so they aren't touching the rotors. Then rotate the wheel 90 degrees. If it stays put, balance is okay, but if it rotates there is a heavy spot which will end up on the bottom. Repeat this check, 90 degrees at a time, until you've gone through a full revolution.

My '05 is solid as a rock, without a steering damper and with over 40,000 miles. I have seen an indicated 135 mph with no shake, just a little *** puckering due to a gusty cross wind.
Great, now I need to invest in a front wheel stand. But, Im glad to hear that it could just be the tire/rim as opposed to the bearings. So, anyone around me have a stand I can use for a few mins until I get one?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by midwest22
Great, now I need to invest in a front wheel stand. But, Im glad to hear that it could just be the tire/rim as opposed to the bearings. So, anyone around me have a stand I can use for a few mins until I get one?
why don't you get yourself a jack. then you can lift front or rear or both.