General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Stupid Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Squid

Meierznutz is on a distinguished road
Stupid Question...

My Hawk didn't come with an owners manual.... where is the petcock? Yup, I know its stupid but I haven't found it yet. Since I am going to go right to stupid, how big is the reserve on these tanks? I just changed the chain and got the bike running smooth. I also picked up some spare parts like a volt reg, 2 front cowls, and a few other things. If anyone has a spare owners manual, PM me and if its a fair price I'm in.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
You won't find that info in the usermanual, since you aren't supposed to fiddle with the petcock unless you are removing the tank, it's vacuum operated on the VTR...

The "reserve" is the RLOD or "Red Light Of Death", ie the LED on the gauge that lights up when you need to go find a fillingstation... Usually about 1 gallon or a little less of the total 4.2 left when that comes on...

But as for finding it, well... The petcock sits underneath the fueltank, and is operated by a wrench once you have lifted the tank... Simple as that...

The usermanual is rather useless, at least in Swedish, so go download the servicemanual from the link here in the forums instead, much more usable info in there...
Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Superstock

kmm996
The petcock is under the tank. You can't get to it with out raising the tank. I know my 2000 doesn't have a reserve. When the fuel light comes on, better start looking for the nearest gas station.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
You didn't say what model year you have. The later models with the digital temp gauge, clock and fuel gauge have a 6 bar fuel gauge. When it gets down to "reserve", the lowest bar on the gauge will begin flashing red.

The only time I intentionally take it that low is when I'm going to remove the tank. I get 100 to 120 miles max before it starts flashing red.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:01 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
If you do remove the tank be sure the vacuum line to the petcock goes back on the right nipple - its easy to put it on the wrong one and then you don't get fuel flowing to the carbs.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Squid

Meierznutz is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. My Hawk is a 1998 with 31000 miles. Got it on a trade for a Miata with 235k miles. I know the car was worth the trade so neither of us is out of luck on the deal.
I have had other bikes and do know about the vac line goof on these, just thought there was an old school valve for the reserve.
How many miles can I expect from a full tank before the red light comes on?
I can't wait for the weather to break and the sand to come off the roads, but with 53* temps comming this week I may take her out for a careful spin.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Meierznutz
How many miles can I expect from a full tank before the red light comes on?
About 100 miles you should start looking for fuel.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:07 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The miles vary hugely city to highway. If you gas it alot around town you can get the light to come on in like 60ish miles.