General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Stolen Red VTR1000F 4/7/2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 AM
Squid

warsaw1776 is on a distinguished road
Stolen Red VTR1000F 4/7/2013

Well, owned the bike for 3-4 weeks and it was stolen but my place just outside of boston. video showed them drive up in a mini van, load it up quick, and take of. heres the infor

1998 red VTR1000F
duel carbon Scorpion exhaust
flush mount front signals
Tinted windscreen
16,000 miles

Let me know if you see something so i can report it to the local PD.

here is a picture:
Name:  superhawk.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  145.9 KB
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
That sucks. Hope they find it soon before they just find parts of it. Im just saying the bike thefts are up big time. Did you have insurance?

Always keep mine under lock and key.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Is it just me or are there more and more guys joining the forum as their bike is stolen? (or maybe becuase of it?)

Sorry for your loss. Can you give details? Where was it? Was it locked, covered, alarmed, etc?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Back Marker

Seams like its more and more smokinjoe. At least it wasnt posted in every category.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Whoever stole it probably didn't know what it was.....
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Squid

not sure about the smoking joe comment.....

but yes it was insured thankfully.

no lock (aside from steering lock), no cover, however it was in a gated garage, tucked away. it would have been impossible to get the bike out of where it was without breaking the steering lock. no way to lift it out or anything.

according to the cameras, guy drove up at about 3am in a dark minivan. went straight to the bike. cant see what he does except that he is loading something(my bike) in the back. gets back in his van and takes off. took about 10-15 minutes.

Bike was located in north Quincy, a town just south of Boston.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
After we spoke on Sunday, I was wondering, how the hell this guy got into the gated garage in the first place? Could have been an inside job?
About a month ago another friend of mine lost his 2007 Gixer right under his nose in what suppose to be the safest town in the north east, so it seems like the theft doe's pick up significantly this year... Not good! Because of these AHoles we all going to pay more to insurance now
Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 AM
Back Marker

Some one either you know or they have been watching your bike for a few days and knew right where to go. Thats that bs . Especially custom bike are watched. Im not a busa fan but a guy at work had his custom busa jacked from his place. Although it was a apartment complex not garage kept .
Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by NHSH
After we spoke on Sunday, I was wondering, how the hell this guy got into the gated garage in the first place? Could have been an inside job?
About a month ago another friend of mine lost his 2007 Gixer right under his nose in what suppose to be the safest town in the north east, so it seems like the theft doe's pick up significantly this year... Not good! Because of these AHoles we all going to pay more to insurance now
I am assuming someone tipped him off or he/his people make a habit of walking through the garage. there are A LOT of nice cars parked in this garage, Aston martin, Maserati, Nissan GT-R, tons or Porsche and Mercedes.

how did he get in? he drove through the gate. by drove i mean he rammed it, completely destroying it.

the insurance part of it is what sucks the most. they aren't going to be happy they i bet the year in full, which was only about $300 for full coverage and are now writing me a check three weeks into it. Oh well though.

biggest issue for me is do i risk getting another bike? its a tough call but if i do i guess it got to be a beater and under a cover and what not or perhaps just a track bike that i store in someone elses real garage.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 AM
Back Marker

Any one put lowjack on their bike? Or another tracker system?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
My buddy had a lojack on his f4i. Didn't do much good. They found his frame and motor at the bottom of the Hillsborough river in Tampa along with about 17 other stripped chassis. He suspects a local shop that's quite popular among the squidly types in the area who actually did the lojack installation.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 AM
MotoGP

Warsaw, didnt mean to sound insensative, there have been a bunch of stolen bike posts on here that seemed odd or sketchy.

I am surprised someone entered a garage to steal a bike. The last bike I had stolen was my race bike. I loaded it and all my tools into my van with warmers, leathers, helmets, camping gear, etc for a race wknd. The whole van was stolen. It was a total loss.

That was the worst but have had 2 other steetbikes stolen(they were on the street). I know the heartbreak. Keep after the ins co. They are rarely forthcoming about these things. It doesnt sound like you were very high risk, but covers are the #1 form of security.

Guys rarely covet what they cant see. I have to think the building owner or manager has some liability (expressed or implied) for the vehicles within.

I eventually had a local welder build me a cusom huge lock an poured my own concrete pad next to the sidewalk with steel bars sunk into it for an anchor.

I'm sure you reported it to the cops but you should notify local papers & see if they will run a line about it.

Master lock sells an anchor to chain bikes down to. Locks Amp Security Kryptonite Stronghold Ground Anchor Search - Base Layers Compression

With some security that wouldv'e slowed them you wouldve prevented it. I've had bikes sitting right next to mine get stolen while mine was untouched. Mine was covered, alarmed and chained to the ground.

I know its a pain but the world is that kind of place. Makes you miss the 10 commandments.
I would still rather ride than not. My last garage in Brooklyn was behind 2 locked roll gates and I still floor anchored the bike to the floor.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Back Marker

Security devices are great for keeping honest people honest. But if someone wants it bad enough there is no way to stop it only slow them down. Hopefully long enough to where they get caught or sh0t.
The worst type of people are liars and thiefs
Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
That Sucks

Crossing fingers U get it back in 1 piece & that it never happens to me.

******* thieves

I'm taking it that by ur statement - U live in a complex of some sort?

I would have locked it to something & covered it.

For the rest of the class that lives in a solo residence - I would suggest getting motion detectors as garage lighting (at a minimum) and possibly a video setup outside. By using motion detectors might scare someone off and its always nice to come home & ur lights come on automatically, w/out leaving them on & costing U $$. They are cheap - U can get em at Home Cheapo or bLowes for less than $100. But YMMV

Good Luck Warsaw
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 AM
MotoGP

But pro, the principal is that if we get caught in the woods & chased by a hungry grizzly, I dont have to out run him, only you.

That inevitable theft mentality is no different than the inevitable crash mentality. For that, just stay home.

Someone has to win, just stack the deck in your favor. Bullys rarely pick on the kid who might break thier nose so just make you bike more unstealable than the others and you win.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Super Hawk Pro
The worst type of people are liars and thiefs

Thieves yes - hmm liars - thats a stretch - I lie to women all the time
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Squid

All great suggestions and i appreciate the input.

I am not expecting to ever see the bike again. it looked like the guy loaded it in the back of the van on its side so it would prob be a total loss from that damage alone, not to mention the million pieces it prob already in.

a cover and lock/chain were deff on my list soon. i thought i would be safe for a couple weeks though. my fault. but the bike was parked in a place that was nearly impossible to notice unless you were looking so i though i was safe. i think they for sure have a spotter, thought it was an easy grab, and went for it.

I do live in an apartment complex with a large gated garage. not optimal but its what i got. housing is retarded expensive here in boston, so finding somewhere with a garage was not possible. if i get another bike i may just drill a hole in the ground in the garage floor or a concrete wall and not say anything. they wont know the difference.

Completely agree about i would rather be riding than not, however i am thinking about sticking to track while i am in boston. just gotta find someone who can store the bike for me safely in their garage. not sure how easy that will be.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by warsaw1776

biggest issue for me is do i risk getting another bike? its a tough call but if i do i guess it got to be a beater and under a cover and what not or perhaps just a track bike that i store in someone elses real garage.
I dont know anything about the boston area,, so it may be a lame idea...

but in most places I have lived, there is an abundance of self storage places...Gated, video surveilled, many times environmentally controlled.

I keep several bikes in one myself, less for theft protection and more for just basic protection, and lack of good storage room at the house...

Perhaps find such a place close to your home? And at least for a few months store your new bike there... PIA I know,, but less painful than losing another bike.

Not sure what i would do if I had to live in a high theft area... I guess lose a lot of sleep,, and be out some money in remote alert alarm systems.

lojack is a good option IF YOUR AREA IS COVERED.
I was going to have it installed on my Shelby and other mustang,, but when i checked the coverage areas, I realised it would do me no good.

Check your area here
https://www.lojack.com/Buy-LoJack-Pr...Check-Coverage
Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez

but in most places I have lived, there is an abundance of self storage places...Gated, video surveilled, many times environmentally controlled.

I keep several bikes in one myself, less for theft protection and more for just basic protection, and lack of good storage room at the house...

Perhaps find such a place close to your home? And at least for a few months store your new bike there... PIA I know,, but less painful than losing another bike.

Not sure what i would do if I had to live in a high theft area... I guess lose a lot of sleep,, and be out some money in remote alert alarm systems.

I was going to have it installed on my Shelby and other mustang,, but when i checked the coverage areas, I realised it would do me no good.

Check your area here
Good suggestions. i will have to look into it. thank you.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Back Marker

Simply just stating if some one wants something bad enough they will find a way to get it.

Im all for preventing with locks . As far as the crashing goes you know the dangers of riding before you learned how to ride . Just like me you accept that some $hit happens yet we still mount our bikes 1 leg at a time. And no one stays at home.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Squid

Simply just stating if some one wants something bad enough they will find a way to get it.

Im all for preventing with locks . As far as the crashing goes you know the dangers of riding before you learned how to ride . Just like me you accept that some $hit happens yet we still mount our bikes 1 leg at a time. And no one stays at home.
Very true about someone wanting it enough....

but where did the crashing comment come from?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Back Marker

Smokinjoes last comment
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road

Check your area here
That's actually a valid idea if you decide to just keep a race bike, I know another dude in the Boston area that keeps several bikes in storage of that type.

As for the lost bike, don't know if that will do anything to expose the thieves, but maybe looking out for some ebay store based in the area that suddenly have many VTR parts for sale.
I know of a motorcycle store that was exposed this way in NY a while back, they had an FBI raid and the owner was arrested.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Squid

Check your area here
thanks for this suggestion but i looked into it and it is just too expensive. maybe if i could find 1 or 2 others who want to do the same thing and split the cost.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM
MotoGP

Just get another bike with the ins $ and make it more unstealable. Avoid letting the PO bring it to you actual home.(use a local gas station, risk the plateless couple blocks).

Ok, so yeah. IF they want it they will get it is the first logic (and defeatest). I am taking it the next step and making them NOT want it bad enough to attempt a 2 hr extrication.

In this case there was no stumbling blocks. I've had bike hotwired and running but the thief couldnt get away due to a padlock on the disk so I kept the bike.

A cover locked on and some chains & $90 cobra alarm and you'd for sure still have the bike. They knew it wasnt secured.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Just get another bike with the ins $ and make it more unstealable. Avoid letting the PO bring it to you actual home.(use a local gas station, risk the plateless couple blocks).

Ok, so yeah. IF they want it they will get it is the first logic (and defeatest). I am taking it the next step and making them NOT want it bad enough to attempt a 2 hr extrication.

In this case there was no stumbling blocks. I've had bike hotwired and running but the thief couldnt get away due to a padlock on the disk so I kept the bike.

A cover locked on and some chains & $90 cobra alarm and you'd for sure still have the bike. They knew it wasnt secured.
You are completely correct. that is what i will have to do. thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM
MotoGP

To go ahead and beat a dead horse, my brother had his gsxr stolen in a similar way. He is in federal law enforcement. He just had it sitting there naked so it could be scoped out & eventually it was nabbed.

I mentioned to him that at that point a 15 yr old couldv'e just pushed it home. One the steering lock is defeated who would stop someone pushing a bike?
Old 07-15-2013, 04:48 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Security devices are great for keeping honest people honest. But if someone wants it bad enough there is no way to stop it only slow them down.
Actually not true. For $75 you can get a game camera and when it senses motion it takes a picture. A friend of mine did this after repeated thefts. The bitches are still in jail and still trying to figure out wtf happened.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:08 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk, awesome story. Justice.