General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Starting a project

Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Starting a project

Haven't rode at all yet this year. During the wet season here I found a few issues with my 98 Hawk. Rear sprocket SHOT! The cause....Scot oiler vacume silicone "T" has a crack and caused a huge vacume leak. No oil going to chain/rear sprocket! Pulled the carbs to fix a stuck float valve. Cleaned carbs. All brake fluid changed. Pulled calipers and cleaned them.

Was thinking of all the miles she has on her.....ordered MCCT's and a sprocket tonight. Get to start gettin her all set up for that. Hope to be back on the road next week!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
you probably need to replace the chain and other sprocket unless you had one of those buttery soft vortex sprockets i got from scum of all parts a couple years back.

wet season! What the hell are you talkin about?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Back Marker

Chain has a bit of wear, very little. First CCT done. Rear one was a snap to do.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Back Marker

Been busy this past week, but fired her up today! Noticed less rattle right off the bat. Test ride and adjustment(?) after work Monday. Oh...after blood drive for my Uncle.

Fish
Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fish
Haven't rode at all yet this year. During the wet season here I found a few issues with my 98 Hawk. Rear sprocket SHOT! The cause....Scot oiler vacume silicone "T" has a crack and caused a huge vacume leak. No oil going to chain/rear sprocket! Pulled the carbs to fix a stuck float valve. Cleaned carbs. All brake fluid changed. Pulled calipers and cleaned them.

Was thinking of all the miles she has on her.....ordered MCCT's and a sprocket tonight. Get to start gettin her all set up for that. Hope to be back on the road next week!
I was thinking that a can of spray on chain oil would have fixed your problem a long time ago if it went so long to ruin your sprocket.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Back Marker

A Scot Oiler is an automatic chain oiler that I've used (issue free) since I got it in the UK in 1999. Never bought a can of spay chain lube since. Fill R up and oils the chain for ya. Dried out vac line caused me the problems.
I bought the bike new in 97 and on my third chain set.

Just doing the CCT's to get rid of the cam chain rattle. Was easy to do. Suggest it for anyone who has a bit of rattle......of for peace of mind.

Fish