Motorcycle helmets and glasses

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Motorcycle helmets and glasses

I just drifted off into day dreaming at work, so surly my boss will look over my shoulder while I'm writing this. But dreams of riding this spring have taken over for the moment.

Anyway...I have a new AGV Ti-tech helmet and my glasses fit under it very poorly (I know, I didn't try it on, it was on e-bay and I NEEDED a Rossi Gothic). On my Shoei there's is a gap in the padding where they fit, but not on the AGV. The AGV matches my new Roadcrafter so I would like to use it. I was thinking about taking a utility knife and cutting the padding so it matches the Shoei. Has anyone done this or have any better solutions before I cut the padding in a brand new helmet. I was hoping it would break in to match my glasses, but is showing no sign of it so far. It's very uncomfortable to turn my head in it right now, which doesn't make me feel very safe.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I don't see a problem doing this, only you might get fraying etc, so can you cut the foam padding and not the cloth covering (if it has cloth).

I have a scorpion helmet and am quite happy with it, fits my glasses quite well.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
As one who wears glasses (and contacts) I can relate.
I have trimmed the foam a little in the past and never worried about it.

The little groove in the padding sure is nice. But even then, some just seem to work better with eyeglasses than others.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Depending on how long you go without wearing it, you could also get a good piece of cardboard that's just a bit wider than the padding would allow for, and let it sit in there for awhile. Once you've done that, and so long as you ride enough with the glasses or just put the piece back in each night, you'll have a semi-permanent indent without having to cut anything.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:39 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
lasik surgery???? Just had it done and loving it.
Bill
Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
lasik surgery???? Just had it done and loving it.
Bill
Had mine done 6 yrs ago. Went from a 20/200 (yes, I could not read the big E), to a 20/15. Loving it.........
Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Okay, I'm not getting the lasik just yet, but at least it turns out that you can pull the foam out of the check pad cloth and backing at least far enough to cut the strip of foam where my glasses fit. The backing basicly has tabs and slots to hold the cover on. I guess with race helmets they thought people might modify the foam.

Anyway it's a 100% improvement. Thanks for everyones input as always.

Now I'm getting anxious for spring. I almost pulled the cover off the bike and dropped the battery in when I got home today, but then though it can at least wait for the weekend. Stupid Wisconsin.