General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

sooooooooooo happy :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 04:04 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
sooooooooooo happy :)

Hi everyone,

While mid-April weather around the Montreal area is typically cool, we have been blessed with some very nice and warm days of late. So, in order to take advantage of this unseasonally warm temperature, I took the afternoon off and went riding. I just got back from a leisurely 200 mile ride and am so impressed with my VTR. Thanks to the insight and advice from many members here (and the vtr1000.org site, and of course, Roger Ditchfield from Revolution Racing), my bike is the stuff of dreams. While the whole "v-twin thing" took some getting used to initially, I am now hooked on the casual loafing nature of the bike as it cruises along at 4000-5000 rpm. Not frantic, just soothing. I also love the way it lunges ahead when I turn the throttle. Again, no out of control wheelspin, just a controlled thrust that gets you around traffic and out of corners with surprising authority. The re-worked suspension, fork brace (thanks superbling ) and steering damper make the bike feel so planted, it just flows in and out of corners. Handling is wonderfully neutral and confidence-inspiring. Braking too is precise and responsive (braided lines, HH pads, RC51 front MC).

It's a good thing I had a dark visor on during my ride so I was able to conceal the silly grin I was wearing for most of the ride. IN truth, the worst part of the ride was returning home. I have been riding bikes now for 28 years and my passion for this wonderful sport/activity/mode of transportation is stronger now than it has ever been. Yep, I love my VTR. I can only hope and wish that each of you will feel as good about your bikes as I do about mine.

SAfe riding everyone

Mikstr
Old 04-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: sooooooooooo happy :)

Glad to hear your upgrades were a great success.

Now remember.....BIG SMILES!!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 05:13 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

sounds like you are enjoying the mods... keep the rubber side down

Rick B
02 SH
Old 04-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Squid

VTR69

Sounds like you got a bad case of perma-grin, Mikstr. BTW, what kind of fork brace did you get ?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:32 AM
MotoGP

Yep, happy indeed. I just have to figure out a way to take it with me into the after-life, lol

In regards to the fork brace, I believe it was a "one-off" of sorts made by Summers Racing Corp (SRC) (owned by famous desert racer Scott Summers I believe). They specialize in making fork braces for off-road bikes. I picked it up from Superbling and really like the extra surefootedness and feedback it gives the front end. I believe that Superbrace makes one for the VTR (more aesthetically pleasing too)

cheers
Mikstr
Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

In regards to the fork brace, I believe it was a "one-off" of sorts made by Summers Racing Corp (SRC) (owned by famous desert racer Scott Summers I believe). They specialize in making fork braces for off-road bikes
For clarification Scott Summers is from KY (same as SRC) and he is a 6 or 7 time GNCC Cross Country Woods champion. Far from a desert racer. GNCC events are typically held in tight eastern woods.

I have one of the SRC fork braces as well and it is a nice add-on to the Gold Valve and spring mod to the front end. A bunch of us went in on a group buy on an now extent SuperHawk site known as RLZ. I think 10 or 15 of us bought out the remaining stock they had for somewhere around $70.00 if i recall correctly. You might Google SRC and give them a call to see if they might still have one. They are a good bunch of guys. I usually deal with a guy named Kevin for all of my CRF450R parts.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Squid
Squid

caffeine-racer

Here's the SRC fork brace.
It comes with neopream fork tube protectors which I think are kind of nifty!
When you install the fork brace .
Do it with the forks on the bike and the springs out.
That way you can move them though their travel and check for stiction while shimming the fork brace to get minimum stiction.
My bike has .010" shim stock on both outboard sides.

~Jeffers
Old 04-22-2006, 10:13 PM
MotoGP

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for my error in stating that Scott was a desert racer

I can tell you with certainty, however, that most, if not all, of his success was achieved riding big-bore Honda XR's :wink:

BTW, I got my brace anodized black so it looks less conspicuous. I also kept the stock protectors; I simply slid them up and mounted the brace underneath. Regardless of the look, it works well

Mikstr
Old 04-24-2006, 07:07 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for my error in stating that Scott was a desert racer

I can tell you with certainty, however, that most, if not all, of his success was achieved riding big-bore Honda XR's

BTW, I got my brace anodized black so it looks less conspicuous. I also kept the stock protectors; I simply slid them up and mounted the brace underneath. Regardless of the look, it works well
Forgiven

Yep big old XR600 / XR650 / and then to the modified CRF450

Bet the black looks kewl

I did the same, i tossed the neoprine stuff, not really needed if you put the oem plastic guards back on