General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SOLD THE SHIT HAWK! THANK GOD!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i miss mine occasionally, but i love the new bike. the old bike had the maintenance issues addressed before they became issues but i had multiple rr issues with it, still a fun bike to zip around on, a buddy owns it now so i can take it out anytime im in his area. things are only as shitty as you let them be
Old 04-23-2012, 04:54 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
That's kinda defeats the purpose, don't you think? Why wearing a jacket if you don't wear your helmet???
Yeah that was kind of my point.

And people need to get the bike they want. R1s are nice bikes. However, goin on a certain forum and trashing on the bike that everyone else on the forum seems to like is just poor taste.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Sounds like he is a liar and only got an r6, according to the guy who bought his shithawk.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
I love how its always the vehicles fault... as an auto shop owner its amazing how people say this (car truck motorcycle) is a piece of **** when they haven't done any maintenance whatsoever most vehicles are built pretty well if there was no ******* owners there would be very few piece of **** vehicles... this appears to be one of those situations...
Old 04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
OK guys so here's the question. I'm the sucker that bought the bike, though I really don't think it's a piece of ****. Just needed someone who know what they are doing to work on it. So I bought it and 2 days later the front cam chain tensioner came completely out of the bike while I was cruising down the freeway. Looks like the bolts were just left loose. I asked if he had it off and he said no. I found his threds on here and he denied having worked on it and said that his posts were for his buddies bike. Now I'm no idiot but I'm not going to make any accusations.

So yes it bent the crap out of the intake valves and it cracked the valve guides. No piston dammage thank God! Parts are running $210 and labor to have the guides replace and the seats ground is going to run anotehr $60. So I'm out another $270 to fix this.

He's saying it's a craigslist sale, as is, and he's not obligated to pay for anything but he's willing to kick in $130-$140 toward the parts. I'm pretty sure based off the facts that I've seen on this forum and our text conversations that I'd have a case in small claims court where I could probably get parts, and labor for the whole thing which would probably come out closer to $600+ when facoring in shop labor to do the job.

I really don't want to go through all that hassle and I'm trying to be cool about it. What do you guys think you'd do? Take the $140 and/or see if you get get him closer to $150-$160, or tell him to pay for all the parts or you'll try to recoup even more through legal action?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
I'd say you should have checked and adjusted that after buying the bike...it sucks, but if its an as is sale...

Sorry about your luck though, I hope you get it fixed and enjoy the bike!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

With that mentality I guess you check over every last nut and bolt on every vehicle you've ever purchased? I get stuff happens and had the clutch went bad, or something just broke or failed I'd say that sucks to be me and would have had to fix it. Only reason I'm even asking him for money is it's pretty obvious by reading on here he just left the bolts loose and they backed out.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
With that mentality I guess you check over every last nut and bolt on every vehicle you've ever purchased? I get stuff happens and had the clutch went bad, or something just broke or failed I'd say that sucks to be me and would have had to fix it. Only reason I'm even asking him for money is it's pretty obvious by reading on here he just left the bolts loose and they backed out.

ahh ok, yes well in that case I can understand where you're coming from...sorry, should have paid more attention to the entire post.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
IMO the last thing this country needs is more legal action. I'd take the money that he's willing to fork over and leave knowing that you only had to interact with the guy for a month. 3-400 bucks isn't worth any kind of court case to me unless your livelihood is at stake. It won't teach anyone a lesson and just validates an already trigger happy system.

It'll be your bike that you fixed, and from your other posts it sounds like you appreciate what it takes to work on a vehicle. Forcing money out of someone would just leave a bitter taste for the start of a great ride with a great bike.

Last edited by 7moore7; 04-23-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Squid

Carolinaboy is on a distinguished road
I saw his bike for sale when I was shopping for my SH a few months ago. It had some decent upgrades, so I wanted to meet up and check it out with the intent to buy.

I waited for him for 2 hours in Lynnwood. He stopped answering my calls and texts. When I joined up here, I saw a few of his posts. After learning that he bought the bike for $1,000 I was glad that I didn't purchase it for the $2500 he was asking.

I was even more glad I didn't buy it when I saw his recent CCT problems. I dodged a bullet on that one. Sorry you inherited the problems, GTS.

In the end I bought my '98 that already had the manual CCT's along with the mosfet r/r and cbr1000 stick coils. I've been very happy with no issues other than a carb cough at lower rpms. Hopefully a jet kit will solve that. I'm thinking jetting wasn't addressed after the baffles were removed.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
I would be very surprised if you got a dime out of him without a court case. If it's worth it to you to go through the hassle, maybe it will teach him a lesson. Not a terribly painful one either, but one to tell the truth when selling vehicles, nonetheless. An important lesson to learn.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
but one to tell the truth when selling vehicles, nonetheless.
Well, really the "lesson" would be not to get caught doing so. In other words not posting the bike's problems on a public forum. That way he can still sell on CL and claim "I didn't know it was broke" under the implied buyer beware clause and not actually make any inherent personality changes. If this kind of thing were a habit for him, and I'd be taking a lot of liberties if I suggested that it was, it won't change easily...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:07 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
this guy sounds like a dick eater i say you stick it to him
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
That's the risk of Craig's list. Never trust anyone on there. And unless you have witnesses and a ton of proof your case will get thrown out. Sorry man that sucks.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
Take what he has offered and chalk it up to a lesson learned... the classified section on this forum is your friend im sure someone here has a head you can just swap on... manual ccts installed correctly are your friends... kriegers are less than $100 for the set and work great
Old 04-23-2012, 04:23 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
This chap is getting "douchier" by the minute..... fix the bike, then get a balaclava.... you know the rest..... f***in' bottom feeder......
Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
then get a balaclava.... .
Haha, dude, at first I thought you meant this:

Then I remembered what the one that you spelled was...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:29 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
You get those AFTER the job is done...... sort of like the cherry on the sundae......
Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Yum! That's it, I'm going home to dinner!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
OK guys so here's the question. I'm the sucker that bought the bike, though I really don't think it's a piece of ****. Just needed someone who know what they are doing to work on it. So I bought it and 2 days later the front cam chain tensioner came completely out of the bike while I was cruising down the freeway. Looks like the bolts were just left loose. I asked if he had it off and he said no. I found his threds on here and he denied having worked on it and said that his posts were for his buddies bike. Now I'm no idiot but I'm not going to make any accusations.

He's saying it's a craigslist sale, as is, and he's not obligated to pay for anything but he's willing to kick in $130-$140 toward the parts.
I really don't want to go through all that hassle and I'm trying to be cool about it. What do you guys think you'd do? Take the $140 and/or see if you get get him closer to $150-$160, or tell him to pay for all the parts or you'll try to recoup even more through legal action?
It wasn't his bike that was a POS, it was him. Sorry to hear about your troubles and I would take what I could get out of the sorry SOB. I'm sure his squid ways will catch up with him and all his new friends at the GSXR circle jerk.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:58 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Yeah I was pretty much just figuring on taking the $150 and being glad I got it. Just figured I'd see what you guys say. I'm pretty sure I have a case if I did want to pursue it and if I had to go that far there would be labor costs based off flat rate and local labor rates so it'd probably be at least twice if not three times that. I really don't want to go through all that hassle and I'm not out all that much other than a day of work and just over $100 more. This also got me into the carbs so I can get them sorted out. Looks like it's got a factory jet kit and the jetting seems a bit off with 50 pilots and 175/178 mains with the full M4 system. Going to follow the directions in the carb tuning thread on here and I should have it all dialed in in no time!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
GTS, Sorry to hear about your troubles bud.. As you have already found out this guy is a douche.... What you will come to find out even though you have to repair stuff on your bike is that this forum is full of friendly knowlegdable people whom are ready to help a fellow hawk rider with anything that may arise. Just know that because one person on this orum did you wrong doesnt mean we all are like that on here... Plus... there are quaite a few guys on here that live in WA state on the west sie that woul be more then willing to help out.. I was once a new owner my self and didnt know squat... i only learned what i know from the good guy on here... sorry to thread jack.... This forum rock... Go "ShitHawks" LOL!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:21 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Thanks crakerjack. I'm seeing a few guys on here from the area. You guys ever get together to ride?

I may not have a ton of specific VTR knowledge as I haven't worked on a ton of them, though I have a few, but I was a motorcycle tech for just over 7 years so let's just say I know my way around a wrench. I worked at I-90 Motorsports for about 4 years, though I'm not to proud of my time there. Got sick of the BS and shoddy work they'd make us do there. I remember one time I was telling the manager I wouldnt' replace a valve guide because we couldn't cut the seat and he all got in my face and told me to do it anyway. I'm actually in the process of starting my own mobile motorcycle repair biz now.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Cool... an dI just actually posted in the group ride section of the forum to try and get a Seattle group ride going... Feel free to post in there.... and give your thoughts on where we should go and when... And Yes.. I wont go to I-90 Moto... I dont like the quality of work they do... No Offense... i can do better work myself... lol... =) Also another pointer I will point out is to download the VTR service manual... It is your friend and can help out when you get stumped... Off to make steaks.. and the wifey just came home... Im out guys...
Old 04-23-2012, 06:10 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I sure have had fun riding my "Shithawk" for the last 59,129 miles.
thats rad.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Oh, no offense taken! I agree. It's been since '04 that I was working there but that's why I said I'm not to proud to admit I used to work there. My standards were higher than their expectations for sure!

I'll check out that forum for sure! Maybe we should start an official VTR meetup group! LOL!

Originally Posted by crackerjackman
Cool... an dI just actually posted in the group ride section of the forum to try and get a Seattle group ride going... Feel free to post in there.... and give your thoughts on where we should go and when... And Yes.. I wont go to I-90 Moto... I dont like the quality of work they do... No Offense... i can do better work myself... lol... =) Also another pointer I will point out is to download the VTR service manual... It is your friend and can help out when you get stumped... Off to make steaks.. and the wifey just came home... Im out guys...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Sorry to tell you, but you don't have a case. I know because I have taken business contract law classes that were part of my paralegal degree. The sale was private party, buyer beware, with no contract pertaining to the condition of the bike or any warranty. The seller wasn't trying to hide the problems based on his posts, so you cant use that argument either. I would take the money from him before he changes his mind and you ate sol.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

If you guys want to see some of the pics of the bent valves and cracked seats click here.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Man. Everything about the OP/old owner of your bike screams "Douchebag". I'm glad that you're righting his wrongs and giving this bike the respect and love it deserves. After what you've found on the bike though, you're no doubt going through the whole bike with a fine-toothed-comb. Best of luck. If you need to borrow the service manual or compare anything in question to a good running '98, I'm in West Seattle.
Cheers,
R
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Thanks Ross! I found a manual online. I could have sworn I had a factory manual before when I had my old SH but my dad couldn't find it (all my old manuals are stored at my parent's). I did find the online manual here. Hopeing to have it together this weekend. All depends on how quick my machine guy can get the new guides in. Parts should be here Friday.

You should check out the Seattle ride thread!

Quick Reply: SOLD THE SHIT HAWK! THANK GOD!!!!!!