General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Sold my vtr and got another bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Squid

Becky B is on a distinguished road
Sold my vtr and got another bike

Sold my vtr over the weekend got fed up with the thing have since brought another bike which i will be picking up on wednesday hopefully

Name:  e3f44fcd.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  7098c541.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  20.2 KB

Name:  63449a9c.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  20.3 KB

I hope to get another vtr for a second bike one that actually works lol
Old 04-26-2010, 03:59 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
you were having problems with your vtr?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:30 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
vtr like dogs... no bad vtr, just bad vtr owner! maybe not you, p o perhaps. is that a TL that you bought?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
When I was looking at picking up a bike (which eventually led me to my VTR), I looked long and hard at both the VTR and TL. MY eventual choice is obvious but I hav always like the TL too, especialy the honkin' engine the first ones had.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'd gladly take a first year TL and throw that abysmalic rotary damper away and have an excellent track weapon...
Old 04-26-2010, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
When I was looking at picking up a bike (which eventually led me to my VTR), I looked long and hard at both the VTR and TL. MY eventual choice is obvious but I hav always like the TL too, especialy the honkin' engine the first ones had.
And aren't you happy you made the right choice considering all the intellectual, freindly, helpful, edifying, interesting, thoughtful, and generally wonderful people, me excepted of course, that you never would have had the pleasure to meet. And, those TL people are bad people and possess none of the aforementioned redeeming qualities of the illustrious SH forum membership.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
I'd gladly take a first year TL and throw that abysmalic rotary damper away and have an excellent track weapon...

I had a friend who picked one last year with just that mod performed. Unfortunately, I never got to ride it before he re-sold it to buy something else (he intended on keeping it but someone made him an offer he couldn`t refuse....). I remember seeing dyno sheets for the early ones and they were making about 114-115 hp with 74 lb-ft (about what my VTR is making now after semi-significant mods).
Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
And aren't you happy you made the right choice considering all the intellectual, freindly, helpful, edifying, interesting, thoughtful, and generally wonderful people, me excepted of course, that you never would have had the pleasure to meet. And, those TL people are bad people and possess none of the aforementioned redeeming qualities of the illustrious SH forum membership.
I have no regrets for my choice of bike (although I must confess to being slightly less than impressed the first few rides on the VTR, the seamless power delivery seeming lethargic compared to the frantic I4 rush I was used to). I also really enjoy this forum and the people on it. Like a second home of sorts, lol
Old 04-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yeah... About 115 at the rear wheel stock, and around 140-145 with minor engine mods... A friend has one, with those mods (and nixed rotary) and it absolutely screams on a track... It's a tiresome beast to ride on the road, very digital throttle, but it givs most RC's a run for their money on track...
Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Hey Becky, did you get the VTR back running? If I recall you had a CCT failure - right? Anyway, I think that the more bikes on the road of any kind, are good for all of us. Keeps the cagers aware. The only riders that bug me are those that wear sneakers. Harley riders are ok too, I am one of them sometimes. Your VStrom looks nice, post some photos here once in a while. JB
Old 04-26-2010, 06:58 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Yeah... About 115 at the rear wheel stock, and around 140-145 with minor engine mods... A friend has one, with those mods (and nixed rotary) and it absolutely screams on a track... It's a tiresome beast to ride on the road, very digital throttle, but it givs most RC's a run for their money on track...
what do you mean by minor mods? Those are impressive numbers for a liter-twin, even getting that out of an RC takes some doing....
Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Sorry the VTR didn't work out. You did the right thing. If it's not fun to own and ride, sell it. The TL1000S should be very entertaining.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 AM
MotoGP

TL1000S = sweet, TL1000R = possibly one of the Top 10 ugliest bikes ever sold (IMO)
Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 AM
SpellCheck
Squid

SpellCheck is on a distinguished road
I considered the TL before buying the SH. I was warned that early ones had a problem with the frame cracking. Can't confirm that, but some were recalled in the US for a fuel problem.

Here's an article on the replacement for the rotary shock:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...00s/index.html
Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by SpellCheck
I considered the TL before buying the SH. I was warned that early ones had a problem with the frame cracking. Can't confirm that, but some were recalled in the US for a fuel problem.

Here's an article on the replacement for the rotary shock:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...00s/index.html
Thanks for your replies yea one brought is early model has had frame and fueling sorted has paperwork for it, I repaired the ccts on the bike but there's some thing just not right with the bike that's why I got rid because I need to know a bike is running right to ride it.

I love the tl had one before was awesome piece of kit I am looking at getting another vtr as I really enjoyed riding it but will look very carefully at what i'm buying this time as one I had hadn't been looked after at and was a bit of a dog and to get it looking how I want would be a waste of money.

So when I am looking for another vtr I shall post my finds on here and see what you all suggest I love this forum people are great and really helpful

) becky x
Old 04-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
I believe as I recall that the rotary shock mount was suspect. My friends TL-S had to have the shock mount rewelded as it broke.

Last edited by skoshere; 04-30-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by skoshere
The believe as I recall that the rotary shock mount was suspect. My friends TL-S had to have the shock mount rewelded as it broke.
Yea there is mod u can do to convert it
Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg
Hey Becky, did you get the VTR back running? If I recall you had a CCT failure - right? Anyway, I think that the more bikes on the road of any kind, are good for all of us. Keeps the cagers aware. The only riders that bug me are those that wear sneakers. Harley riders are ok too, I am one of them sometimes. Your VStrom looks nice, post some photos here once in a while. JB
She had very bad luck and had two go on her. Can't blame her for abandoning the VTR after that. It is the main worry to watch out for, but get bitten by it twice and I'd not like the bike either. That's why I went APEs before they failed.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your new ride. I also like those old TLs. You don't see many around which is cool.

For anyone who's interested in a TL track weapon take a look at this.

Tray Batey's Vesrah superbike. Been for sale on the WERA forum for quite some time. I came close to making the call a few times but oh well... maybe somebody here can use it for what it was intended for.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php...hlight=tl1000r
Old 04-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Squid

Gilson is on a distinguished road
Hi Becky, a mate of mine replaced his with a Biturbo one specifically design to replace it. They make it to your weight and riding style too. I think they are Dutch.

He was impressed with it...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Becky B
Yea there is mod u can do to convert it
what is this mod you speak of, i would like to pass it along to my friend. I would imagine besides a Bitubo ( which he has a line on one for 500 or so.) what else can be done?