General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

The Sigma 18.12 MOTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
The Sigma 18.12 MOTO

The Sigma MC_18.12 MOTO… A new Gadget
Preface: Speaking with a warranty manager at Sigma Corp. last week, concerning an issue with my Bicycle computer, the BC 8.12, I learned they now offer a Motorcycle specific computer. Currently it looks like it is only available in Europe, but soon to be coming to the U.S.A.
Some quick specs;
6.1 General functions
The general functions such as:
-- Trip distance
-- Trip time
-- Avg. speed
--Max. speed
-- Acceleration measurement
-- Highway acceleration measurement
-- Braking coefficient measurement
-- Braking distance
-- Drag racing
All are reset (zeroed) by pressing the RESET button. Each function must be reset
Individually.
6.2 Mode 2 functions
The Mode 2 functions
-- Total time
-- Total distance
can only be reset in setting mode.
In addition to acceleration measurements from a dead stop, (0-60, 0-100, etc. user adjustable), and roll on measurements, (e.g. 40-60, 60-80, 60-100, again all user adjustable), I found the braking coefficient and braking distance most interesting. Here is an excerpt from the manual;
5.8 Braking measurement
The MC 1812’s braking measurement measures the braking coefficient ‘brake (m/s˛)’ and the braking distance ‘brake dist.’. The measurement is triggeredvia a freely configurable minimum deceleration value (see basic settings). The minimum deceleration is needed to prevent the braking measurement from beingtriggered when the rider simply releases the throttle. During the measurement, ‘calc.’ appears on the display. The measurement resultis displayed in the format xx m/s˛ for the braking coefficient and in xx m for the braking distance. The speed range in which the measurement took place is alsodisplayed.
This provides you with information about your braking behavior so that you can optimize it.

The owner’s manual in pdf. Form:
http://www.sigmasport.de/de_media/produkte/motorradcomputer/mc1812/Manual_SIGMA_MC_1812_EN.pdf
Here are a few links to the product:
http://www.louis.de/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10034540&lang=en
http://www.motorkit.com/en/speedometers-and-rpm-meters/10877-product.html

I am curious if any of our members that have this available to them have tried it out?
Oh and BTW, the customer service at Sigma for my BC 8.12 was stellar. He upgraded me to a BC 16.12, even though mine was out of warranty. I may try one of the new MC 18.12 MOTO’s when they become available in the states.
Thanks

Old 01-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Very similar to my Vaypor VR3 gauge. Looks to be a bit cheaper though.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Verrry Interesting

but disgusting...Laugh-In 1969

I've run a Sigma BC1200 (the original model) since about 2000 and it still works fine. The functions on the featured unit seem helpful but for the money maybe not as practical as a regular BC or inexpensive GPS (i.e., Garmin Nuvi 765T)
Old 01-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Superstock

Suggested retail, $74.95 US, again when it becomes available. About 25 bucks more than the cost of my replacement BC 16.12.
Just thought it might be useful to someone wanting to check their own 1/4 mile times, roll on times, and braking distance. Might be interesting to use before and after performance mods, as a reference only.

Last edited by Upland111; 01-31-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Superstock

I was informed the Sigma MC 18.12 is now available in the States. FWIW
Motorcycle Computer
I may try it.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Give it a try. I absolutely love my Veypor gauge and this Sigma looks like it has a few of the same features as mine that I play with the most. It's cool making little changes to your bike and then going out for a ride to see if it made any difference at all.

Unless you have a later model VTR, there is one feature that I use the most that I wouldn't mind paying a little more for, and that's a fuel gauge.

If you get one, try to do a review for all of us.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:27 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I have used similar computers built for bicycles. If it has a fuel guage, I dont see how it can work. You cant base it on miles since the hawk milage varies hugely based on how you ride.

My issue was they dont register high speeds (this may be different).

To me I liked the digital speedo the most. After that I did a swap to a cbr600rr which has digital plus fuel guage.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Superstock

The Sigma 18.12 does not have a fuel gauge. I think CruxGNZ was thinking if it was equipped with one that would be a nice feature. Just guessing here.
I am ok with the six segment gauge on my 05', although I can see a gauge being really nice on the pre-01's.
Joe the CBR600RR dash is really nice. That is one of the reasons I added a Bicycle Computer 16.12, the digital speedo is nice, and accurate too.
To answer your other question, maximum speed for the MC 18.12 is 250mph, if you take a look at the pdf. file attached to the product under "more info", it gives you all the details.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Joe, I'd get that CBR gauge just for the cool way the needle swings around and back when you turn it on! You got the best toys on your bike.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The Veypor gauge uses a tach signal, MPH and accelerometer (I think) to "learn" how much fuel is being used. The fuel gauge is suprisingly accurate.

I was just saying earlier that it would be a great feature if the Sigma had a fuel gauge. But, since it doesn't, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a gauge that does have one.

Upland111, are you planning on supplementing your current gauges with the Sigma or are you looking to eliminate the entire gauge cluster and just use the Sigma?
I eliminated my entire gauge cluster (mine were damged & crappy lookin' anyways) and used the Veypor as my gauge and some super bright LED's for the idiot lights (Post #64. I just saw that you were the one helping me with the magnet placement. Thanks again ). Also, with the Veypor, you get a gear indicator, which comes in handy more times than you would think.

After reading these posts, it looks like I'm telling everyone to buy a Veypor gauge and not a Sigma. I am not.

Like I said earlier, the Sigma has some of the most used features on the Veypor, but the Sigma is cheaper. The Sigma may not have a fuel gauge or a gear indicator, but it is still a nice option for a motorcycle gauge. I'm sure that I am not the only one that wants to hear a review of this Sigma gauge.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 02-02-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:39 PM
Superstock

I am just using the BC 16.12 (formerly the 8.12),to supplement my gauges. As most of you know the speedometer on the 01-05's is useless as **** on a goose.
I might purchase the new MC 18.12 just so I can measure roll on acceleration and braking distance. I have not checked out the Veypor gauges but I feel those would be better for a complete replacement as Crux suggests.
You can see where I mounted my BC next to my gauges in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails The Sigma 18.12 MOTO-p1020566.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Squid

armeet is on a distinguished road
Sigma

Hello everyone,

I have a spare sigma 700 with me. Wanted to fix it on my firestorm but some how never understood on how to fix the magnetic sensor on the wheel. It would be great if any one of you could post some pics of the sensors attached to your wheels and also what is the wheel size measurements that needs to be punched in for the vtr 1000 firestorm.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Here is some not great pics of what I did.

You can be creative and this is a bike computer but I just drillled a tiny hole in the carrier.

You can also get a rare earth mag from depot but be aware of the spinning forces on the hardware.

This worked perfectly for a year or so til my cbr600rr dash swap

Also added a little led powered by the dash power to light it up at night.
Attached Thumbnails The Sigma 18.12 MOTO-speedo-002.jpg   The Sigma 18.12 MOTO-speedo-005.jpg   The Sigma 18.12 MOTO-speedo-003.jpg   The Sigma 18.12 MOTO-speedo-006.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Here is some not great pics of what I did.

You can be creative and this is a bike computer but I just drillled a tiny hole in the carrier.

You can also get a rare earth mag from depot but be aware of the spinning forces on the hardware.

This worked perfectly for a year or so til my cbr600rr dash swap

Also added a little led powered by the dash power to light it up at night.
You haven't by chance done a how to on that CBR dash install have you? That looks like something I may have to do! I don't care about the fuel gauge as I just fill up religiously @ 90 miles on the trip, I'm thinking of getting a newer tank to cut up and add some capacity too when I have some extra funds so I can do a fuel gauge and have a better range though. I don't want to cut up my current tank in case I fubar something though. Its been a few years since I played with a welder and I was always best with a tig and torch than stick or mig.. And of course without access to a shop anymore stick or mig is all I can get my hands on

Edit: Found it https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...finally-28650/ In case anyone else is wondering too

Last edited by insulinboy; 02-03-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Armeet, on my bike I put a neodymium magnet inside the rotor button (the part that floats the brake rotor), then made a braket to kinda hide the sensor behind the front brake caliper. The magnet, although heavy for its size, did not unbalance my wheel. I have been at twice highway speeds, and there is no perceptible vibration. If the magnet was further out towards the tire, I'm sure there would then be an issue. If you are worried, you can always get the wheel balanced again after the magnet installation.

Instead of posting a bunch of pictures here, you can see how I did this and also see Upland111's setup in my build thread.

Click here for my build thread
Upland111's setup is post #51
My setup is post post #52
Each post has a number in the upper righthand corner

Originally, I thought it was a good idea to drill out one of the holes in my rear brake rotor and mount the neodymium magnet inside the hole, but the (I'm assuming here) friction & heat from braking killed the magnet in short order and no longer worked after ~100 miles.
DON'T DO THIS
Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Squid

armeet is on a distinguished road
Sigma

@ smokinjoe73 & CruxGNZ

Thanks for your reply, i will try and fix it on my bike. Will also post some pics..

BTW - I am from India, and i guess there are just about 5-10 VTRs in my country. We are essentially a horsepower starved nation, since the domestic motorcycle makers only make bikes upto 500cc. And incase we import any vehicle, we have to pay high customs duties (~150%+). And same goes for the parts and spares -- nothing made locally (for bikes >500cc), very few dealers and virtually no reliable service network.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:29 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this is an old post, but maybe some new interest?
They also have a slightly cheaper version...the MC 10. No light & accel/decel functions, but works well as a speedo & odometer.
I'm using one on my Hawk GT (NT647), when I replaced the front wheel with an F3 model. That loses the cable driven speedo.