General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Should I start racing??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 07:05 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Should I start racing??

I have no racing experience but if it were me I would:

1) Take a track school on the VTR to see if I have what it takes and if I will be hooked enough to pursue racing.

2) Get a dedicated track bike not my steetbike. Period. Run as many track days as possible until I feel ready for racing. But don't get a 600 4cylinder RR. That's a crashfest shark pool. Try a ninja 500 twin or something similar that can be run in lots of classes.

3) I'd really try to hitch a ride on a local endurance team. Best bang for the racing experience buck there is and a cheap way to get a lot of seat time on a built up race replica.

4) If all the above worked out, THEN I get the latest greatest race replica and rip it up in the "big boy" classes.

Think of these 4 levels in american football terms: 1 is the middle school basics, 2 is making the high school team, 3 is getting a collegiate scholarship, and 4 is signing with a pro team. If you know football, then you'll know that there are literally millions of players at the first level but only a couple of thousand make it to level 4.

I look forward to hearing from our forum track members.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Squid

mhutch

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
I have no racing experience but if it were me I would:

1) Take a track school on the VTR to see if I have what it takes and if I will be hooked enough to pursue racing.

2) Get a dedicated track bike not my steetbike. Period. Run as many track days as possible until I feel ready for racing. But don't get a 600 4cylinder RR. That's a crashfest shark pool. Try a ninja 500 twin or something similar that can be run in lots of classes.

3) I'd really try to hitch a ride on a local endurance team. Best bang for the racing experience buck there is and a cheap way to get a lot of seat time on a built up race replica.

4) If all the above worked out, THEN I get the latest greatest race replica and rip it up in the "big boy" classes.

Think of these 4 levels in american football terms: 1 is the middle school basics, 2 is making the high school team, 3 is getting a collegiate scholarship, and 4 is signing with a pro team. If you know football, then you'll know that there are literally millions of players at the first level but only a couple of thousand make it to level 4.

I look forward to hearing from our forum track members.
I almost did that route but there were no track days in 1990.
I raced my only form of transport... drove to the track and sometimes got trailered back.
I did do the endurance races and, yes, they are the best bang for the buck. If you want track time cheap on your bike, enter, run a bit, relax a bit, run a bit. Lots of time to learn.
I got to level 1 and couldn't afford it. Now maybe and I am thinking about it to!!
Old 05-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I have to second Superbling's idea of keeping your street and track bike separate. If something happens to it, then you're SOL for the street and track.

I think the VTR has to overcome more obstacles (ie, needs more money) to be as competitive as other twins. An RC51 makes a much better track weapon.

As for doing trackdays until you feel comfortable, I would suggest, instead, to do a few trackdays until you've got a comfortable riding style (used to the higher speeds, touching your knee and toes down, etc), then go racing. Your learning will skyrocket as you are riding with faster riders. Assuming you plan on pursuing racing.

Even if you don't, trackdays are a fun time to practice your riding technique.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:26 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
What's it cost to go racing these days, for a season?
Old 05-03-2005, 03:10 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Recently I was on a group ride with an older gentelman, who was telling us how he used to race years ago. He said that he was always in the back of the pack, the last 4 or 5 riders or so, but he had a blast just riding and racing with those 4-5 riders in the back.

Attempting to race can be more fun than winning it, depending on how you look at it.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:16 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Those bikes are amazing. they just shouldn't be as fast as they are when set up correctly
I shouldn't be surprised to read/hear this quote yet again and again...etc

Sunday night at sunset my SV650 bud and I are running out of town down the freeway to a pub. Ahead of us is a new Corvette convertible with the stereotypical bald guy driving and blonde seat cover. I don't plan on racing him but when I see his puff of rust colored exhaust, I'm on it. Two shifts and I pass him at a good clip, winding it out hard. I swing in in front, move my arm out of the way of the rear view and am completely shocked to see my buddy right there.

Eventually we come to a stop.

Me: Were you already speeding when we raced that Vette?

Him: No, I was right behind you.

Me: Well how did you stay up with me?

Him: I had it floored.

Me: So what, its a 650, mines a 1000!

Him: My bike rocks.

Me: I thought mine did. Why am I paying for all this extra insurance then?

Him: he he

Now I wasn't quite redlining and didn't have it totally gunned but my bike was screaming. We hit 200kph.

The only difference in our bikes mod wise is he has his K&N installed. We both have slip on's and jets.

This week or next, in goes a 15T front sprocket and the K&N and new jets. I'd better be able to wax him.

My insurance is double his at $392 for 3 months. That doesn't include collision.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:58 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rc996";p=&quot
Sorry. I didn't set out to be quite so harshly negative about racing. I'm a huge racing fan. And many crashes occur without injury. I've had a bad week, on top of a bad year with racing mishaps close to home.
No need to apologize, buddy. Losing people rightly shakes us all.
And while it's a blast, we should have no illusions about the dangers of this sport, both on the street & track.
I believe it was Neil Hodgson who recently said, "Fear is what keeps us from (crashing and) killing ourselves."