General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Should I buy the SH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Squid

VTRBeefa
Re: Should I buy the SH?

Just take it for a test ride and you will have no further questions : )
I have stepped from 10 years on a Kwakka ZXR750 to the SH and will never look back. With some easy tweaking this bike is fast.

The Suzuki gets a good wrap, but you will pay a lot more.

The fuel range is crap unless you get the larger tank like we aussies do : ) and even then you are pushing 150miles max.

I have a set of Remus highmount pipes that sound awsome and required no rejetting, and i think that goes for a lot of the pipes, but I have read the staintunes may need a rejet...

For "old" technology, this bike rocks, there are so many simple changes you can make to this bike that will get it to out perform alot of the newer tech stuff and you will find those mods on forums like these.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:13 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hell yeah you should buy it!

Range? Heck, I never ride 100 miles without stopping for a break anyway.

Yeah, you can do mods on this bike to improve it (suspension, etc.), but you don't have to. It's great fun right out of the box.

Riding position's not bad at all (I'm 5'8", 180lb). I can ride it all day & still feel good.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:24 AM
SuperBike

Oh, Buckeye, forgot to mention:

Much better insurance rates than the repli-racers.

You won't have the same, stereotypical GSX-R or CBR as half the people on your block.

And power wheelies!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:24 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think anyone is giving him a reason to buy it over the "newer" SV.

I can think of one - looks
Old 04-29-2005, 11:32 AM
faz
Superstock

faz

I am not sure what this "old tech" is that you are referring to.... compared to a brand new gsxr1000 or cbr1000rr with all sorts of valves in the exhuasts and dual fuel injectors and all, may be, but compared to other reasonably priced v-twins..

The SV1000 is a great bike too, one that has been overlooked by general public. I would not have any problems buying either one, if I were in the market today. The SV has fuel injection, which I had on my F4i, and the proper mapping may be more complicated than the good old rejetting on the SH. I run the engines stock anyway, so I can say that I have not seen a fuel injected bike (yet) that is (out of the box) as smooth as a carbureted one, when it comes to on/off throttle response. To me, that was a big shortcoming on the F4i... and one of the reasons I bought the F4i over other 600s was the fact that at that time (02) it was the only one with FI.

Superhawk, with a little upgrade in the brakes and shocks (like ANY other bike that is on the market today) will be a perfect real world bike. I am biased, so I am going to say SV comes second.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

At 6'6'' no doubt the SV1000S is a better fit IMO . I love the Hawk but some bucks have to be spent setting them up so that they get it done better .

The SVS does it out of the box and 05 models can be had for 7400.00 bucks .

When you say price is a consideration , factor in the upgrades needed for a stock SH . I'd buy a used SH or a new SVS to make the money work out and the 05 SV has many minute upgrades as compared to previous models . Larger throttle bodies , lighter flywheel and more .

Check here for OTD pricing . www.procycleusa.com

http://www.procycleusa.com/index.cfm...=16&baseid=493

Don't be mad at me guys , but Honda should have upgraded more than what they did in 2001 IMO . The best buys are used Superhawks then work them over IMO and at around 5k bucks or an 05 SVS which needs nothing per se .
Old 04-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
Questions for rc996

[quote="rc996";p="4909"]Buy it! You'll definitely want to replace the fork springs and add a fork brace (my number one favorite mod).

What is it you like most about having a fork brace on your shawk?

Were your stock forks sprung, valved, and fork braced before you put the rc51 front end on?

If so how much and what did you gain from then going to the rc-51 front?

Thanks,
~Jeffers
Old 04-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

Gas milage seems dependent on how aggressive you ride I think. I generally shift around 4k rpms and am getting about 145 miles before the dreaded flashing E. From what I understand, the E means you have .78 gallons of gas left. This means I'm getting around 45 mpg. This seems satisfactory.

I would imagine if you were to redline at every shift, or powerband it to 8k or so at every shift, you'd make significatnly less mpg, probably the 33 mpg that people seem to be getting on this page.

Before buying any bike, ride them. Try the SV1000 and the SHawk. I found the SHawk to be far more nimble and low-rpm torque which is great for me cuz' I shift at lower rpms anyway. The SV1000 seemed like a monstrosity, whereas the SHawk felt more nimble.

On the other hand, a bike sitting unridden for 2 years will have a wealth of problems. I bought a 1 year old sitting Ninja 500 and the carbs needed to be cleaned, of course. Tank insides were showing signs of rust. Carb idle **** was rusted. Petcock stuck and frozen. After 2 years, seals might start to no longer be good. I'd stay away from it myself, or if you're brave, an extended warantee thrown-in for free for 3 years, you'll need it unless you're tech savvy. I doubt they added Stabil into the gas supply. The oil and gas tank will have to be drained regardless as it's gonna be no good and fouled. Too much trouble. Get the '05, they're cooler.
From what I understand, as well, from testimonials on this forum, the Honda engine is bullet-proof at 100k+ miles on the odometer! Amazing. You'll never need to buy another bike again.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Back Marker

BooYeah

I love mine,

Don't spend money on an exhaust, just do the bafflectomy, i love the way mine sounds and it is a beautiful bike.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

seals can still go bad without things, not having oil can be worse than having oil, just make sure you get a warranty
Old 05-02-2005, 08:35 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Questions for rc996

Originally Posted by rc996";p=&quot
The difference is very noticeable the first time you ride on a twisty road. The handling just gets way more precise.

I have a full race tech front end. I just added a used fork brace this weekend. I must admit up front that I was skeptical and had voiced that concern before on this site but the price was right.

As rc996 said, it's a difference you can "feel". For me, it gives more front tire feedback and the front end feels much more planted and confidence inspiring. It does not improve bump absorbtion or compliance. In a nutshell, it brought the superhawk's 41mm forks up to the 43mm level of performance I had with my Vtec VFR and CBRF4i.

THUMBS UP!
Old 05-14-2005, 02:12 AM
Squid

Boodler

Originally Posted by mikecronis";p=&quot
Gas milage seems dependent on how aggressive you ride I think. I generally shift around 4k rpms and am getting about 145 miles before the dreaded flashing E. From what I understand, the E means you have .78 gallons of gas left. This means I'm getting around 45 mpg. This seems satisfactory.
45 mpg sounds very nice.
Is your bike stock?

faz:
"The SV has fuel injection, which I had on my F4i, and the proper mapping may be more complicated than the good old rejetting on the SH. I run the engines stock anyway, so I can say that I have not seen a fuel injected bike (yet) that is (out of the box) as smooth as a carbureted one, when it comes to on/off throttle response."

When does it apply? I mean the on/off throttle control? does it mean the engine won't be twitching when you give gas at a low rpm for example, or at least twitch less than one with fuel injection?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:52 AM
Squid

Boodler

Welcome on board !
I was very interested in the VTR as well, so here are a few topics about general questions:

Couple newbie Superhawk questions
Does it wheelie in second without the clutch?
Unsmooth shift
How's the ride

Hope they will help !!

Originally Posted by Groundpounder";p=&quot
Hey fellow riders, I too am seriously considering the purchase of an '04 or '05 SuperHawk. However, I would like to hear more of the pros and cons regarding this bike. Its been a while since I've ridden a sport bike, but my past sport bikes include the following makes and models:

'86 Honda VFR750
'87 Yamaha FZR1000 (probably my all time favorite)
'90 Kawaski ZX7
'96 Suzuki RF900

How would a new superhawk compare to these bikes? Any vibrations, numbness of throttle hand, seat comfort? Looking forward to reading your responses. This appears to be a great forum...thanks for the help.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend

Just go buy the bloody bike! You'll be creaming your pants for the next 6 months at least. V-Twin power & grunt in a nearly perfect street package.

I bought my 2002 (in the faster RED) new for $8k and love every aspect of it.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:47 PM
SuperBike

Hell yeah, it vibrates! Not in the buzzy IL4 fashion though. More of a rumble, really. There's more vibes below 3000rpm, but you generally ride this bike above that. Above 3000, the mild rumble is very satisfying. And as the revs build, there's a real sense of controled, muscular power.
This is no sewing machine. It is a v-twin after all.
Never had a problem with numbness on this bike so far.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Squid

redsuperhawk

FWIW, I bought my '98 leftover in June of '99 for $2000 under retail. I've been totally happy with my purchase. The bike is essentially unchanged since then, so you should be able to get at least $2k off msrp if not more for a leftover model. Here's what I think of the bike after 17,330 miles.

The motor is completely different from I-4s, and to me, that's a good thing. This thing has gobs of low end grunt, and while not cutting edge, it's no slouch up top, showing 155 on the speedo. The vibration is there but not annoying. It just lets you know you have a killer motor under you. And on deceleration there's a burble that you don't hear on a 4. Some people hate it, I for one think it's cool and adds alot of character.

I have added Jardine high mount slipons, and then a rejet, and the difference was in-freakin-credible. I am unskilled in the wheelie department, and I could get it up in first gear fairly easily stock. Now with the rejet, it loves, absolutely loves, to wheelie in first gear. With someone who knows what they're doing, 2nd gear wheelies shouldn't be a problem. All I do is get it up to about 3000rpm, let off the gas and roll it back on... and up she comes! W00T!

The gas mileage issue to me isn't one. I usually average about 38mpg or so, and lately I've been getting 40mpg. Typically the light comes on around 120 miles, although I have seen it come on at 93 miles with some "spirited" riding.

The seat/bar/peg relationship for me is pretty good, but the seat sucks. I've done a few 250 mile days and was tired afterwards. The two 400 mile days I've done, I was in pain. Iron Butt I am not. My wife positively hates the back seat, but she has back issues, so part of it may be her. Plus she's just really not into bikes the way I am.

Mirrors suck... especially with my new textile jacket, which is bulkier yet lighter than my leathers.

I've never had a problem with shifting. The ride is alright. The weak spot overall on the bike is the suspension, but at the price, it's really hard to beat.

I've had my SH for 6 years, and I've never owned a vehicle of any kind that long. I've been completely happy with it.

My brother in law has a 97 ZX9R that has dynoed at 142 hp at the wheel. Whenever he rides my Superhawk, he just shakes his head and laughs, because he's having a blast. The ZX has a wicked top end, but nothing has the low end hit like a street vtwin.

Now that you've read that... get to the shop and by the Superhawk.

Jeff
redsuperhawk
Old 06-03-2005, 09:23 AM
SuperBike

People are buying new 2002s in the showrooms at $7K & I seem to recall someone getting one at $6500! So be sure & get a good deal.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

I got an 02 with 1200 miles for 5k