Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Test
Squid

vasaq is on a distinguished road
Shinda Daytona Steering Stabilizer

Shinda Daytona Steering Stabilizer

Hey

I ride a VTR1000 and I have been recommended getting a steering stabilizer. There are mixed opinions on the superhawkforum...some say it helps some say it doesnt help....

What are you thoughts on a USED shinda daytona steering stabilizer? It fits my bike. I plan on learning to do some wheelies at some point though I am not trying to be a pro-stunter. he is wanting 110$ for it.
1) Is this a good damper?
2) is this a good price?
3) is this something that can put in without too much of mechanical inclination..i am not very good but I can hold a screwdriver and wrench right side up.

Please let me know abt this. I would appreciate it.

Cheers
vasaq
Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I am happy with mine. It would help to have the directions but the installation is pretty basic. IIRC just leave stuff kinda loose til you put the fairings back on to make sure nothing hits the plastics. That's not a bad price for a lot of protection and stability. Mine usually stays on the middle setting. Its fun trying the full range out though, just be careful on the "hard" setting. That makes it very difficult to steer at any speed.
If you need the directions and can't get them online, let me know and I may have mine buried somewhere, maybe...
Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
I have one, and I like it. It doesn't look the greatest because of the way it comes out the side of the bike. I think it's a nice unit for an entry level dampener.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Test
Squid

vasaq is on a distinguished road
thanks for the suggestions...i am getting a bit worried because I was expecting to get a lot of replies to the same...any one else here as the shinda daytona stablizer?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:43 PM
PB215C
Squid

DaddyDuby is on a distinguished road
not to thread jack but what stabilizer is the best? anybody?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Superstock

pigwings
Jack

Originally Posted by DaddyDuby
not to thread jack but what stabilizer is the best? anybody?

But you did...............
Old 07-31-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Once the VTR suspension is properly sorted you won't need a steering damper. Put the money towards the fix, not the bandaid.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:26 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Have to say Greg is right the best cash I ever spent on the bike was getting the forks setup by Greg, tapered stem bearings and also a good shock + I changed all the swingarm and shock bearings. Every day I ride it Im glad I did it.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Squid

melow08 is on a distinguished road
I'm new to the forum, but I also was thinking of a stabilizer. This being my first "sporty" style bike, (i've always ridden cruisers.) I don't know as much about them. Can you explain the proper way to set up the suspension so I won't need a dampener, or direct me to the thread where this was probably explained before. I agree with Greg, I would rather spend the money on fixing for good, not just band aiding it. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i'd somewhat disagree with some on this.. althought having the suspension done will help a lot i think mid corner potholes & patches can really cause problem on even a well suspended bike. if you add in 5mm ride height & DOT race tires ( tend to have a profile to maximize lean angle @ the cost of front end stability ), also a lot of people, me included, do the 520 conversion with a gearing change of -1/+2 this mod will keep the front end light at the apex like no other ! then toss in somebody in the process of learning to wheelie...

but, on a stock bike riden by the average rider i'd too say it's not required.

to your point. used damper ? i'd make sure it doesn't leak but more important i'd find out if it's rebuildable... if not save for a new one.

tim
yes i have a damper. hyperpro - top mount

Last edited by trinc; 08-01-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:57 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Brand new tires on every ride help too.