General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

dynojet slide drilling

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Squid

hymey is on a distinguished road
dynojet slide drilling

Hi guys,

In regards to drilling the slides for dynojet needles and springs. Do I drill the slide itself only or the piece supporting the top of the needle aswell. Effectively this will allow air in the spring area to equalize with the air stream through the carb body and allow the slides to rise faster(which is the whole point of it). I have only drilled the slide and I am guessing that I have to drill right through, just checking first!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Squid

1zeppfan is on a distinguished road
Needle retainers and slides both get drilled at the same time.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
be carefull drilling through the retainer, its pretty easy to break the tab off if your pushing to hard on the drill when it hits.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Did anyone notice much, if any, difference after drilling? I didn't notice much of anything.
The shorter Dynojet springs are a WHOLE BUNCH easier to put back in than the stockers. That's what I noticed.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Squid

1zeppfan is on a distinguished road
Mine was a Jet kit and Slip-On's at the same time so yea i saw improvement. Does that count?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Superstock

the person i got my bike from did a partial DJ kit and messed some stuff up while doing it, but didnt touch the drilling of the slides. i drilled my slides and added a long front intake runner and noticed better throttle response, but how much was from each mod i cant say. but then anything we can do to get thouse huge pieces of crap honda called carbs to respond better is worth the effort.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Squid

Thanks for the response. I will drill my slides tonight. The main reason why it needs to be done is the slides need to rise fast with the dynojet needles. The first part of the needle is quite lean and raising the needle is the only way to compensate for the lean part throttle surge that is common. I'd imagine by drilling the slide it allows air to equalize through both chambers so effectively it is working more like a flat slide by lifting so much quicker, and will allow the needles to get into a richer section of the needle of part throttle response.

I put 48 pilots in last night, feels great in part throttle but idles rough when hot. I will go back to the 45S pilots and drill them tonight. See the difference then.

cheers,

hymey
Old 08-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Superstock

if the 48's are too rich you should pick up a set of NON-S 45"s, the S variants have smaller holes on the tube and dont atomize fuel as well. they are made that way for emissions.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Squid

I will try a set of them. I am actually going back to the stock needles. I have tried all different mainjets with the dynojet needles aswell as various needle heights and I have perservered with them for the past 12 months.

I dont read plugs I have a wideband afr meter and the bike has been pig rich in the topend. Going leaner creates low speed fueling.

I have spoken to Bill Finnegan from HPower in Australia. Bill is a VTR guru. He owned a VTR with 152 hp. He believes the best way to tune them is to block the air bleeds to the emulsion tubes. Then fit smaller mains, then it is like a conventional cv carb. And produces better results, easier to jet, but with only pipes and filter, stock needles combined with dyno jet springs produces better results.

He uses 45 pilots, 20thou shimmed needles, 178, 180 mains as a starting point. Initially when i had stock needles the bike was a little lean with the 20thou shim so I will go upto 40thou shim under the needls. Bill said they have no shims stock but i have read places they have a shim stock...mine did as the reason i am running an extra 20thou. I am starting at 175 178 mains and checking the topend afrs, if a little lean i will go up 1 size, if a little rich will keep them stock.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
I put my DJ needles on 4th clip with one washer, it's too lean. 5th clip with one washer seems a bit rich, so I'm going to go 5th clip, no washer and completely drill the slides - previous owner didn't drill the supporting endpiece.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Squid

I been there with that. I found the topend to be to rich with those needles and going leaner in the main leaves a hole in the bottom end too. thats why i am changing back.