General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SH nOoB with questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Squid

MrFurious29
SH nOoB with questions

Hey guys!

I'm new to both SH's and this forum, but have been riding in one form or another for about 24 years. Dirtbikes, quads, cruisers, sportbikes....you name it, I've dabbled in it.

For the last 2 years I have had to live without a bike, but fortunately I'm back to a point financially where I can rekindle that old flame. The plan is to pick up a clean used SH for sport-touring fun, but I wanted to ask all you SH owners if there's any problem areas I should look out for when selecting one. I spent most of the evening perusing the forum gathering information which has answered a lot of my questions on what mods are recommended/necessary to make up for factory shortcomings. What I'm more interested in though is what possible age-related or owner-neglect issues there are with the SH that I should keep an eye out for? (i.e. bearings, bushing, seals, etc.)

I'd also be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on what their top 5 recommended mods would be to better an otherwise bone stock bike for casual day trips and the occassional long haul. Mostly I'm looking for feedback on ergonomic and reliability upgrades, but I do have the usual perfomance mods planned as well such as exhaust, gearing, and brakes.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:45 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
The top five, eh?

1) Suspension - Racetech springs up front/Gold valving if you do track days. Olhins out back if you have lots of $$$$.
2) Sargent seat
3) Exhaust - let the Vtwin roar out of the can. Leo Vince/Akropovic/V&H/etc
4) Brake/clutch lines....braided SS
5) APE - cam chain tensioners

There are lots of other mods, but most are for poseur points or tack related. One other addition for sport touring applications is a Ventura rack system.

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR (105,000 happy kilometres)
Old 07-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
+1 on what Geoff said, except I think the 929/954/RC51 master cylinder along with EBC HH pads gives better overall performance than a simple brake line upgrade. I'd do the lines last.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Too many mods not enough time!! Or money for that matter, I'd also suggest a DB wind screen.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:38 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
if you plan on using for sport-touring, then:
1) Sargent seat (I am told the Corbins are good too), or you could look at getting the stock seat re-worked with more and better foam
2) Heli-bars (although some have had success with Genmar risers or VFR bars)
3) taller windshield (less wind buffeting)
4) fork springs (combine with drilling the cartridge and you'll be ok for anything short of track days)
5) brighter headlight bulb (if you ride at night)
6) fix front brakes (go with new HH pads for sure, then choose among lines or RC51/929/954 MC, or both as I did)
7) mirrors: either buy or build spacers, or replacement mirrors (pre-2006 FZ1 units are said to work well) so that you can actually use them (let's you keep tabs on cell-phone wielding SUV drivers)
8 ) gel grips
9) heavier bar ends (with throttle lock?), help to cut down on vibes
10) optional but highly recommended: modded intake runner on front cylinder (makes engine noticeably smoother and beefs up low and mid-range power), do search for more info

I realize that's more than 5 but they are all worthy mods (speaking from experience as I use my bike for precisely the same purpose, and am actually getting ready to leave for a two week riding holiday)

cheers
Mikstr
Old 07-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Squid

MrFurious29
Thanks for all the mod advice guys, but what about potential problems to look for on a used Shawk?? I'm looking at the 1998-2000 models to help keep the initial cost down so I can afford to buy some much needed new riding gear at the same time.

What I already have on my wish list includes a Ventura rack system, high-mount exhaust & jet kit, fork springs, and a brake upgrade. Down the road I'll likely add a lower fairing, a undertail kit and hugger, flush mount turn signals, and a few other odds and ends (don't want to go broke modding this one like Ihave with previous bikes). I figure I'll hold off on the ergonomic goodies until I have some time with the bike to see what I do and don't like (seat, bars, pegs, etc.).

One thing I wonder about though is the rear shock spacer for better handling in the twisties. I really didn't like the "@$$ in the air" feel of my ZX-7 (neither did the family jewels when I'd hit a bump), but I do like to have fun when the road gets twisty and don't want to have to fight the bike to keep it pointed in the right direction. I also worry some about the ground clearance as I've lived through one high-side cause by dragging a peg, and don't care to experience that ever again. After all, my body doesn't heal quite as fast as it used to. LOL
Old 07-14-2006, 11:20 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
The only issues I know of are cam chain tensioers and regulator/rectifiers. Mine's a '98 and has over 15000 miles on it and does 2 track days every 2-3 months.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
An SH as a tourer, good Lord! Its a torture machine:-D
No one mentioned a larger fuel tank as a mod?

My bike has 21k on the clock and the only issues I see, and this is in direct relation to the previous owner riding on one wheel, is the fork seals and the steering stem bearings. The other guys mentioned what else to look out for. Other than those items, the bike is very well made.

Karl
Old 07-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Squid

JesseW.
my bike had 37,000 on it before the R/R went out, just replaced steering stem bearings (39,000) i have yet to replace the CCT but i may do that over christmas along with checking the valves.

mods
all the ones mentioned above! -1 front sprocket. i haven't done this yet but i will over christmas also.