General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Severe target fixation What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinc
fixation is the inability to react to a problem... so we stare at it.
if you practice avoidance manuovers it would be second nature & reduce your chances of fixation.

tim
This all works fine until the solution is no longer part of the equation. The stable at the ranch is .75 miles from the main house another quarter mile down to the greenhouse and garages.

After we feed the horses and have a few beers we get on the four-wheelers and haul *** to the garage. About a third of the way down the hill there is this big black snake that is all the way across a twelve foot road and we are going way to fast to stop.

We loaded up the shotguns and head back up the road but no sign. The girth on this beast was like hitting a curb.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...491af&t=h&z=13
Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Ride 8/10ths and give yourself a margin for error or debris.

If you can't skip your tire over a 1" object during a turn without visiting the hospital, then you need to slow down. Because there's lots of stuff you can't avoid hitting it unless you ride 15 mph everywhere. Squirrels especially.

When I ride, I try to hit the squirrels. This way, if one catches me by surprise, I know what to expect.

If all else fails, skin the snake, make a belt, and grill the rest of it on your bent up bike's exhaust header.
8/10 on the road?
I'd say 80-90% on the track, 100% if you don't give a **** about your bike and simply want to try and set your fastest lap.
You have to give yourself a LOT more margin of error on the street because there are so many different hazards. Pinecones, snakes, cars parked in your lane, a rock, a tree, a boulder, oil spill, etc.
You have absolutely no idea what is going to be around that next blind turn, and riding at 80% isn't going to help your chances IMO.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:09 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Well, 8/10 is kinda arbitrary. But yeah, I agree. If you're having "oh ****" moments every time you ride, slow down. The people crashing into oncoming traffic or losing control are going 11/10ths of their ability. A more skilled rider at the same speed might've avoided it.

They probably thought they were going 8/10ths, but didn't know their limitations.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
damn target fixation, lol, we were out yesterday, did a 5 hour ride as the weather was nice finally. and we were running a twisty road and my buddy points out a small piece of something on the road. it was near the center of a right hand corner, i wasnt taking that line, i looked at it and like a retard couldnt stop staring, lol. came within inches of it.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog
Over the years I have Crashed 3 times due to target fixation. I was injured each time and each time the bike was toast. I believe that I fixated each of these times (as opposed to all the countless times I have not) because I was SURPRISED by the DIFFERENCE between what I expected to see and what I actually saw. Well, call me a dumb-*** if I took three serious crashes to understand this. Y'all have any input or is this obvious to every other rider?
That's why it's absolutely essential to discipline yourself to study each negative instance that threatens your existence so that that same thing doesn't get you twice.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Keep those eyes moving....your life may depend on it!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 PM
MotoGP

I often go faster than I can see around turns unless there's something I know about like a driveway or a junction. It's a bad habit and i often come across obstacles unexpectedly. Last month, I came around a turn to discover a fallen tree completely across my lane. Fortunately, the oncoming lane was vacant or I would have been in a world of ****.

Naturally, I keep adjusting my vision to look as far as possible, but I also plan on a truck coming at me so if a vehicle does pop up, I'm somewhat prepared visually. It seems to help. But really, going around blind turns fast is definitely a stupid indulgence, but there are so few turns that are open visually where i ride, that I choose to ride stupid. Surprise gravel, dirt, horse ****, grass cuttings, animals, etc., have taught me to keep the front brakes slightly engaged until I can see where I'm heading. At least I can usually slow a bit and alter my line before the debris and you definitely learn the meaning of trail braking.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Moto Man
I splattered a BIG dragonfly on my helmet this weekend and was surprised how much force it hit with. I've hit my fair share of bugs over the years, but never one that big; It felt like a good sized rock.

Been lucky to never have any moto encounters with anything bigger than a dog.
My shield fogged at a stop sign so lifted my shield as i started across a little bridge over a creek near my house. After crossing the bridge, i felt something hit my the underside of my lifted shield and forced my head back a little. As i slowed for a stop sign at the next block, I looked down and saw a bat lying on my tank bag. It had been stunned but was still alive. Nothing like getting a bat in your face-too close!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kendrick
Sailor Jerry is my drink of choice so don't trust me...
My brother swears Sailor Jerry has stolen his wallet, caused him to be naked in more than one occasion, and typically causes some sort of meyhem, hence he curses any time he is mentioned.

At any rate. The first time I was on a track the instructor told us turtles typically cross one section, and if you see one, stand the bike up and hit him dead on as hard as you can, otherwise he'll kick your tire out and your down. Since then I've always remembered, hit what you can kill, go around what you can't. Basically it reminded me that at some point I'm going to hit something I don't want to and maintaining bike control without overreacting is important.

I've target fixated before and it is hard to stop, but continuing to practice hopefully will train my brain to make it easier the next time it happens. Keep practicing as you won't have time to think about it when it happens for real.