General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Seattle area newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Seattle area newbie

I think different folks might have different opinions, but for me, I have never resurfaced rotors.
If you let the pads get down to the point where groves were cut into the rotors, then that is different.
Absent that, or other damage, all I have ever done is clean them good and give them a light once-over with a Scothc Bright pad or 400-600 grit paper. Just something to knock the shine off and give the new pads something good and clean to start with.

Might I suggest, consider this time to go with braided lines. A very good investment that will make a difference in your baking.
I used www.cyclebrakes.com

Brian A
Old 06-29-2005, 09:08 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings newbie,
If you mean cutting them on a brake rotor lathe, I wouldn't touch them unless you have a rotor problem. Removing material from the rotor will reduce its ability to dissipate heat & lead to warpage.
Auto mechanics do this all the time, but I think it's mostly to reduce the chance of brake squeal (a common customer complaint on auto brake systems.)
Personally (having worked in a tire store for 8 years), I think cutting rotors is mostly an auto service industry scam so they can sell you rotors down the road when they get too thin & start to warp.
Breaking in your new pads is critical. A series of a dozen or so smooth, gentle stops is supposed to do the trick of mating the pads to the rotor surface. (Heavy initial braking can glaze the pads.)
Old 06-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk

Welcome.. I live in SeaTown also.. Hit me up if you want to ride when you get up and running. nineighthawk@gmail.com or 206-200-5162.

Dave
Old 06-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Squid

Mithrandir
What the others said Just wanted to chime in here to say I'm also in Seattle. I have an almost setup workshop now if you need any mechanical help - suspension is my specialty, but most other mechanical work I'll do too. I live on Capitol Hill - contact email in the profile et al. If you want a phone number shoot me an email (I don't like publishing it to the world at large).

Don't have my own hawk on the road yet, but I do have a large collection of parts that will soon somewhat resemble one. I'll be back in Seattle after Monday and wouldn't mind meeting up for rides etc. For the next 12 months or so, I'll have to turn up on my XX until the streetfighter is roadworthy.