General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Saddlebags and High Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Saddlebags and High Mounts

I haven't taken a road trip since I mounted up the Leo Vince High mount exhaust pipes, so I need to get this figured out by Wednesday. Is there a problem with the exhaust contacting the bags? I don't remember the cans getting all that hot, no like the pipes; but how hot is too hot? Does anybody use saddlebags with highmounts? Are there special precautions that I can take? Is there a heat blanket type material that I could use between the two? I am going to go conduct a test now, to see how hot the cans get, but would like to hear what others have to say. I believe the bags I have are the Cortech Sport or TourMaster Sport bags.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:14 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I'm curious to know what you come up with. I do know that thermo tec heat barrier works wonders for blocking heat. How you might attach it to the bags is up to you but I used it inside a lower fairing and was extremely impressed with how well it worked. I too have the same exhaust (in carbon-forget what you said yours was) but have never tried using bags with it. Then again my bike's been in modification purgatory for the better part of two years so I haven't tried alot of things lately with it

Last edited by captainchaos; 04-14-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Back Marker

I have the Leo Vince Aluminum/Stainless High Mounts. They are a bit higher than the Jadine and other Highmounts that I have seen. They almost touch the rear cowl. I have the bike warming up outside. I will let you know how hot they get. There appears to only be a small section where they would actually touch. I could probably just put duffel bag or my computer bag on the seat under the straps so the saddle bags would sit higher.

Is thermo tech available at local auto supply stores?

Last edited by fundgh; 04-14-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fundgh
I have the Leo Vince Aluminum/Stainless High Mounts. They are a bit higher than the Jadine and other Highmounts that I have seen. They almost touch the rear cowl. I have the bike warming up outside. I will let you know how hot they get. There appears to only be a small section where they would actually touch. I could probably just put duffel bag or my computer bag on the seat under the straps so the saddle bags would sit higher.

Is thermo tech available at local auto supply stores?
It may be...I know the header wrap and starter wrap is, but the larger sheets I'm not sure. You'd have to call the stores by you and if not you can definitely get it online/ebay, etc.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
My LV CARBONS are only warm to touch even at idle. I wouldn't trust a bag touching any metal cans tho' especially SS ones.

How about some of that automotive underhood insulation applied to the bags? I would trust that with CF cans for sure but would test metal cans.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:43 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Givi Top Case - install it - function over form
Old 04-15-2008, 07:03 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by fundgh
I could probably just put duffel bag or my computer bag on the seat under the straps so the saddle bags would sit higher.
Damn! The duffel bag is such simple & practical solution to the clearance issue. I'll try it out.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Back Marker

I also found the mounting the bags backwards helps as well, although I am not sure which way they are supposed to go anyways!

I may try to make up a pad (like a horse blanket) to go under the bags and boost them up since I would rather have my back pack on top of the saddle bag straps. A tip I recently read is to use those non-slip pads that you put in your shelves or under area rugs. It may help protect the paint from vibration induced chaffing.