General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Rosso 2 Rear Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Rosso 2 Rear Tire Size

My Question to you all is this. Can I run and the effects that it will have.
Stock rear tire size is (180/55 ZR 17 ) as you all know.

I have ran the the Pirelli Corsa 3 was it. with the bi rubber compounds and loved it. I still have a front tire that has one season left on it. Which came in the right size.

The Rosso comes in two sizes

190/50 ZR17
Or
190/55 ZR17

Your thoughts on this. my forks are dropped about 10mm and also think I have close to 10mm added to the shock.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
The numbers on the tires don't mean much anymore. Even within the same brand two tires of the same "size" can have different dimensions. I would suggest using a tire designed for use on a 5.5" rim, and once mounted measure the circumference and adjust your geometry accordingly.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Either way you will be changing the geometry, the 50 is slightly lower the 55 is slightly higher, and as always you never know how mixing the two tires will effect the bike. Have you tried looking for some n.o.s. corsa 3 tires, you can get a great deal on them if you can find any.

P.S. I loved the corsa 3 as well, they were my favorite do all, (track and street), tire!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jay956
The numbers on the tires don't mean much anymore. Even within the same brand two tires of the same "size" can have different dimensions. I would suggest using a tire designed for use on a 5.5" rim, and once mounted measure the circumference and adjust your geometry accordingly.
Ain't that the truth! I've seen huge differences in size even from the same manufacture just different models.

Some manufactures have made the 190/55 for 5.5 rims and other not so much, check with the tire rep to find out more.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I like the jacked up *** end and lowered front for turns as you can see by my signature. If you want to maintain present gearing performance, stick with the 190x50; if you got plenty of grunt, go with the 55. The 190x55 is 1/2" taller than the 190x50 which is close to the same height as the 180x55 accord to my experiences. I don't recommend any 190s on a 5.5" rim except the Q2 which is the best handling tire I've ever had on the Hawk for the 10+ yrs I've owned it. I've tried the 190x55 Mich Power pure and the 190x50 BTO-16 and neither were acceptable in terms of turn in, contact patch and holding a line thru that turn among other quirks like front/rear wear anamolies. Read the link below and I'll try to locate another for ya.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...?highlight=190

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...lin+power+pure

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...light=190+tire

Last edited by nath981; 02-24-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: add links
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
nath, there are some 190 tires made for 5.5" rims now. Couldn't tell you off hand but they are out there. But in general you are right. It will slow down steering and cause a smaller contact patch while leaned over due to the tire being pinched on the rim.

Last edited by jay956; 02-24-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jay956
nath, there are some 190 tires made for 5.5" rims now. Couldn't tell you off hand but they are out there. But in general you are right. It will slow down steering and cause a smaller contact patch while leaned over due to the tire being pinched on the rim.
Jay, I must respectfully disagree with the smaller contact patch and the slowed down steering, at least given my geometry. If that was the case, I would not recommend them to others. I'm not into how cool they look vs performance, in fact i'll go with ugly if it works better(function over form, esp true when it's something as critical as tires, at least to me since my *** is riding on em.

Acc to dunlop(below link), and based on my experience with this tire, their d211gp(which is the same shape and profile as the more street oriented Q2 190) is "preferred", not just acceptable, on the 5.5" rim. I doubt they would recommend a smaller contact patch for the track.

I discovered this tire/wheel combo accidentally when mounting a friend's 190 Q2 which his control freak wife forced him to pick over a Power Pure because of the price difference. A rare instance where I have to be thankful for this bitch and her bullying ways.

As soon as i saw and felt the tire arc and compared its measurements to a mounted 180 in my garage, I knew this was totally diff from the 190 BTO-16 and Power Pure I had ridden back to back @ 4000 miles each, an believe me i had a lot of scary moments trying to adjust to these mismatches cause I'm a stubborn dumbass in terms of adjusting my riding and geometry settings to accommodate whatever.

Anyway, I was psyched about this tire as soon as it was mounted to my friend's 5.5" rim, and when we rode together to test it out, the improvement in handling(600 4fi) was obvious and significant in terms of grip and confidence in the esses! Now we had to pause a moment to reflect and to thank his wife for bullying him into the cheaper Q2, well not face to face, but to ourselves. And now, i had to immediately order Q2s for the SH.

My friend didn't wanted to lose any accel. with his low torque/hi rev 600 so he opted for the 190x50(same height as the 180x55), whereas with my 44 tooth rear and propensity for the high *** end geometry, I went with the 190x55. With 3000 miles on the Q2s, i can say unequivocally that i'm a happy camper and have no reservations about recommending them.

Dunlop Racing » D211GP
Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM
MotoGP

That race Dunlop was designed for 600cc race bikes, as Jay and I said some 190 tires were designed for 5.5 runs. I don't think he was suggesting that you were steering people the wrong way but he is correct about MOST 190's.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22
That race Dunlop was designed for 600cc race bikes, as Jay and I said some 190 tires were designed for 5.5 runs. I don't think he was suggesting that you were steering people the wrong way but he is correct about MOST 190's.
I don't think Jay was inferring that I was steering people wrong, although I may be. I'm speaking from what i learned the real way(first hand experience) and what others take from it is their responsibility.

You may be right about the 190 dunlop/600 design intent because for the 6" rim typical for larger displacement, they recommend the 200. I have no knowledge of anything other than Dunlop, excpt that the BTO-16 and Power Pure 190s aren't good matches.

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Either way you will be changing the geometry, the 50 is slightly lower the 55 is slightly higher, and as always you never know how mixing the two tires will effect the bike. Have you tried looking for some n.o.s. corsa 3 tires, you can get a great deal on them if you can find any.
Accord to my findings, the 190x50 Q2 doesn't change the geometry since it's the same height as the 180x55 on the ones i measured. The 190x55, likely regardless of brand, however will as it jacks up the rear altering geometry, affecting gearing plus a lot of other complicating factors like swingarm angle, all of which have been discussed elsewhere herein.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM
MotoGP

Well Nate I used to sell tires and have on several occasions talk directly to the reps at all of the major tire companies and while the 190/50 is close it is not exactly the same so yes it will change things some and if its too large will pinch And again change geometry. Now as both of us have stated some tires vary in size so that will throw some variance into things but for the most part the 190/50 is slightly lower. The aspect ratio is a percentage, the width divided by the second number so while it is close it usually is not the same.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM
MotoGP

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be a little bitch or anything just trying to explain so others don't take it wrong if the q works out the same awesome!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the input with that said may i ask if anyone has tried the Roso 2 tire and if so what size and your thoughts on it. Pirelli has been to my liking along with Metzeler but the tire wear o the Metzeler is way to much for my pocket book. Im going to check out the links above thanks but have to get back to drywall ugh summer help.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Stumpy
Thanks for all the input with that said may i ask if anyone has tried the Roso 2 tire and if so what size and your thoughts on it. Pirelli has been to my liking along with Metzeler but the tire wear o the Metzeler is way to much for my pocket book. Im going to check out the links above thanks but have to get back to drywall ugh summer help.
yeah that drywalling is a blast for sure. I stripped a 3 story house down and, with a helper, glued and screwed 365 sheets of 4x10x5/8 fireshield. That'll get you in shape: standing on scaffolding with a mouth full of screws, holding the drywall up with one hand and getting the drill from between your legs with the other, carrying those bastards up two sets of tight stairs..........fun huh.

Anyway, Pirelli and Dunlop were connected at one time as i remember delivering a machine to Dunlop in Buffalo and seeing pirellis there. I don't think they still are but manufacturers are both seriously close to racing so both are good for turns. Metzlers are okay, but from my experiences with them, me no like em.

Tire choice is complicated by many variables, too many unless you put all your criteria down. Like i install my own tires, will spend about $250-300 a set, get about 4000 miles on em, esses only/minimal straight roads, no touring, must be sticky and predictable, avg. tire press 28R/30F, etc, so I have landed on the Q2s. For others at the other extreme who travel or live where there are no twisties, it's a totally diff ballgame. They need hard middles and tires that'll last 6-8000+mi. So it's difficult to recommend unless you specify preferences, and for those who want it all in one tire, there are trade offs which only they can assess.