General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Rode Palomar Mtn today

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:19 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Rode Palomar Mtn today

Wow It was great. If anyone is ever in the SD area and wants to take a fun ride you have got to try this.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Back Marker

smack doogle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Wow It was great. If anyone is ever in the SD area and wants to take a fun ride you have got to try this.
Oh yeah. Go up there on Tues. - Thurs. mornings. No traffic. You will have the beautiful road to yourself. Before I got stationed here in Mass. a year ago I was stationed on 32nd st. Naval Base in SD for 5 years. I was up to Mt. Palomar every weekend and I even took some vacation on week days just to ride it. There are a lot of other good roads hidden in that area and around Julian. There is one 5 mile long road just outside of Julian that is just as good as Mt. Palomar but no one knows about it. I forget the name though. To bad I didn't have the SuperHawk when I lived out there. I'm sure it would have been awesome. I had a 2005 Z750 that ripped but you had to stay close to red-line. Don't know how many times I would bounce it off the rev limiter. Anyway, have fun and be safe, that road can be dangerous and a lot of riders treat it like a track and have no problems passing you in a corner. Just let them by.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Yeah, nice road. Perfect to get rid of chicken stripes.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Its hard for me to remember, being 30 years ago but I used to zip up and down MP regularly on my Brit bikes. Never really had a "modern" bike when I lived in SD and moved to ChiTown in 81. A Matchless 500 single (with a Mikuni) was pure magic going up but even with OS & ventilated double-leading shoe drum brakes, going down not so much. Talk about "smokin"! Is the Wrongbranch saloon still there? I'm sure they still have their apple pie festival. The roads up to Valley Center were heart stopping in those days too. The fires out in Poway and Julian were scary and I once came out of the men's room in the Wrongbranch and back to the table to find my friends visiting from back east wide-eyed and ashen colored. The suspended lamp over the table was still swaying and I realized there had been a mild quake but did'nt feel it. Must have been shaking my thing too hard at the time. LOL
Ever been on the roads south of Alpine and eastward, Anza Berrego, Joshua Tree, Glamis dunes, All American Canal, Yuma, etc?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:33 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
No I havent tried out any of those other roads. Only thing I ever rode before was the trek up to Julian.
I have a few pictures that a guy takes on the side of the road.

http://www.rickclemson.com/Photo_Det...39&EventID=264

http://www.rickclemson.com/Photo_Det...65&EventID=264
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
YA the tight side and the backside are nice, JUst too patrolled anymore to bother with.

I would rather head farther out of town on day rides to get better roads.

The run down Anza to the desert is don't miss too.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
yep motezuma highway down to borrego spring. both ways in are nice either banner grade or the S2 (montezuma) a must ride when it cools down a little