General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Rider killed by lightning

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 05:15 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Rider killed by lightning

http://www.cjonline.com/news/local/2...d_by_lightning

If you're like me you've done a lot of riding in the rain. Not that I'd ride in a lighting storm, but I was under the impression that tires provided some insulation from harm. Condolences to the rider and his family.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip

If you're like me you've done a lot of riding in the rain. Not that I'd ride in a lighting storm, but I was under the impression that tires provided some insulation from harm. Condolences to the rider and his family.
Not the tires that protect - its the roof. Relative to the voltage in a lightning strike, the tires are simply an air gap. Spark plug anyone? It is the roof that channels the current around you and to the ground.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Holy crap! Was he wearing a chrome dome?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Not the tires that protect - its the roof. Relative to the voltage in a lightning strike, the tires are simply an air gap. Spark plug anyone? It is the roof that channels the current around you and to the ground.

I chuckle when I hear someone mention the insulation of the tires. The lightning strike just got done crossing hundreds of feet of open air but it can't make it the last 4"? Of course it can.

As mentioned, when in a car the current passes around you. If you are touching something metal with your hand (like having your hand out the window) and your foot near something like the gas pedal it can still give you a shock, but that's rare.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
I chuckle when I hear someone mention the insulation of the tires. The lightning strike just got done crossing hundreds of feet of open air but it can't make it the last 4"? Of course it can.

As mentioned, when in a car the current passes around you. If you are touching something metal with your hand (like having your hand out the window) and your foot near something like the gas pedal it can still give you a shock, but that's rare.
+1 I drove a '56 Ford across Southwest Texas during an intense lightning storm in the early 1960's. I was 16 and I knew enough to make sure that I didn't touch anything but the plastic rim of the steering wheel. Sky black as night and lightning strikes all around us, it scared me s@#*less.

Plus, water conducts electricity...if it's raining do you think the tires are wet?