General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tires suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Squid

rrich49132 is on a distinguished road
Tires suggestions

I am new Hawk owner and have fixer upper on my hands. One thing I need to purchase immediately are new tires. Any suggestion on what kind and the best place to buy? I have been looking on Ebay and see combo front and rear packages. I would like to keep the price between $250-$300.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Great question. Click here for some more details:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ighlight=tires

We happen to have gone over that very subject before. (Many times)
Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
I purchased Michellin Pilot Road 2 , they are a dual compound tires .. soft on the edges and hard in the middle.you cant get any better really.180 series, fattest i could go in the back.. $350 installed..
Old 08-28-2008, 03:42 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
DO NOT GET SECOND HAND RACE TIRES. They are not made for the street and rarely do they heat up to thier working temp..also once they are heated up they have only a small window of life...that why people get them for free.. i bought my bike with second off race tires on it, and it was soooo slimy on the road.. almost dangerous..i had them taken off immediatly, i have read about people saying this is what they are doing and all i know is it isnt the best way to go..if i didnt have a job and had thread or metal showing, i would consider putting one on until i could get a real tire..
Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Just spent the last hour looking for tires myself.

Sportec M3's on Ebay for $250 shipped for the set. Excellent tires. On the SH now.

Bridgestone BT-021's on Ebay for $223 shipped. Excellent high mileage tires. Just bought another set for my friend's VFR.

Metzeler Z6's on Denniskirk.com for $275 shipped.

Pirelli Diablo Strada's on Ebay for $274 shipped.

So what type of riding do you do? I took the M3's to the track and they were great. Seem to be getting good mileage from them as well. The other tires I listed are agressive sport touring tires, so they would be good if you slab a lot or like straight lines.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lynchie
DO NOT GET SECOND HAND RACE TIRES. They are not made for the street and rarely do they heat up to thier working temp..also once they are heated up they have only a small window of life...that why people get them for free.. i bought my bike with second off race tires on it, and it was soooo slimy on the road.. almost dangerous..i had them taken off immediatly, i have read about people saying this is what they are doing and all i know is it isnt the best way to go..if i didnt have a job and had thread or metal showing, i would consider putting one on until i could get a real tire..
lynchie ... it has been said recently that the old term ' heat cycle ' is a thing of the past ( from a dunlop rep ). i'm not sure if i totally agree with that but i do know, talking with old timers ( racers ), that tires do cycle a TON better than what they used to.

as far as heating up this is just a lack of understanding of what & how a tire heats up. i would agree that if your just an average rider putting around .. race takes offs are not for you.

a tire heats up by friction, road surface temp & carcus flex. there is a heat range that you'd like to hit but it's easier to just read tire pressure. from cold to hot you want to see about 4-5 psi change. if you under that reduce the tire pressure... & if you over then increase tire pressure.

too many people want to run take-offs at tire pressures that relate more toward a standard street tire. i run 30 psi up front on pretty much any tire & 26-28 rear depending on manufacturer. ( my dunlop rear was 23 psi at the track ) i will raise them a bit on days that are REALLY hot, like over 90.

a track tire will heat up SLOWER than a street tire & at the lower pressure will feel a little flat until it gets up to temp. both street & track tires get very greasy when they are done but i've always felt you need to continue to ball up a track tire to expose new rubber.

the plus to a track tire ( race take-off ) is the grip & the feedback. just like suspension... you only know the best you've riden on.

just some info for the small minority as most people do just fine on street rubber.

tim
Old 08-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Back Marker

01SuperChicken is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lynchie
I purchased Michellin Pilot Road 2 , they are a dual compound tires .. soft on the edges and hard in the middle.you cant get any better really.180 series, fattest i could go in the back.. $350 installed..
I just replaced the rear with one of these....after a couple hundred miles, I like 'em!

$350 installed? I hope that was for front AND rear!

I would expect well under $300 at my local shop.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:51 PM
rnb
Back Marker

rnb is on a distinguished road
check the price on a set of shinko tires. I have 1200 miles on my rear one and it looks new. previously had conti-force, the rear lasted 6000 miles.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
I had a set of Michelin Race that I rode on for a couple of thousand miles with Hotbrakes and they worked out really well, plus they had a lot of tread on them to begin with.

I replaced those with the Metzler M3, purchased online from Aloha Sports for $250 shipped, and I have really enjoyed the way the bike handles with them.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:56 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Dunlop road smart tires here put on 3000 miles ago and just a little bit of a flat spot in the front and rear(daily commuter 120+miles). Great grip up at Palomar the other day.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:09 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
michelin road 2 a year ago on my gixxer1000.
a week ago i put a set on my vtr.
great tire.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
I've got Conti-attack and have had them for about 1200 miles. They are just now showin sum wear. They have great grip. This is my commuter. 100 miles a day.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Squid

VTR69
Currently using Michelin Pilot Road 2's. Luv 'em. Great grip.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:11 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
use rubber

I have now Dunlop Q's (not by choice as I got a flat in Vt last Nov. & was only tire they had - matched front as well in the spring - only about 2500 on both But they seem to be ok - good grip. Paid way too much for the rear $260. mounted - but when ur away from home - U'll pay it

But Cycle Gear had a sale this spring Pirelli Daiblo for $170 set - um no brainer will save for next year.

Last edited by nnjhawk02; 08-28-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
gonna try bt-016's

the 5 layer rear looks delicious
Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Squid

sschuyten is on a distinguished road
Michelin Pilot Power 180/55-120/70

I live in California. RideDirect.com I believe is in Kentucky so I was not charged sales tax or shipping and handling. UPS ground to my door with tracking updates set me back $246. I dropped the entire bike and new tires at the local non-corporate bike shop (Redline Cycles in Riverside California across for Malcolm Smith Motorsports) and they mounted, balanced, disposed of old dunlops, checked the brakes all for $140. Malcolm Smith quoted $189 over the phone and Skip Forcyde Harley Davidson shop guys said " is that a sportbike?" I said yeah and he said oh and I said have a nice afternoon. About 1500 miles on the Pilot Powers and they have yet to stop impressing me. Granted I did replace the oem dunlops due more to age than wear. Now I understand what a stiff tire feels like and really enjoy the feel I get from the Pilot Powers. +1 to Ride Direct they have a great site and user friendly tire guide. Tires you trust are worth their weight in confidence alone.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:55 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
shinko 005 advance radials are awesome tires. they are very cheap and perform very well.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
New Tires for Superhawk

Originally Posted by rrich49132
I am new Hawk owner and have fixer upper on my hands. One thing I need to purchase immediately are new tires. Any suggestion on what kind and the best place to buy? I have been looking on Ebay and see combo front and rear packages. I would like to keep the price between $250-$300.
Rrich49132, support your local 2 wheels business you wont save much buy them on net unless you can mount them yourself. i just bought a set of Diablo Strada at local shop $330 included dispose old tires, mounts, balances.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Currently on Dunlop Qualifiers. Paid 225.00 for the set! I really like them, I have 4 track days on them and some casual riding and they still have a little left in them. What is nice is that they are wore evenly from one side to the other EHEHE!!!

Dennis
Old 08-29-2008, 04:10 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
The BT-21 are pretty good all around tires, I took them to the track, they are easy to heat up and once heated they will stick enough to scrape both sides of the bike.
They last 8000 miles.
Pirelli and Michelin have good offerings too, but I haven't tried yet.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I like the Concoursica's 3HLP (High low Profile) Tires...It is like a Triple compound, but you add a tab bit of 30W synthetic oil along with air, it keeps the temps low at high speeds, allowing more tread to stay in contact with the street longer without breaking free..
Check them out, they are the bomb!! Very cutting edge..Not cheap either...worth every penny...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
BIKE magazine just did tire comparo for big sport bikes. most were similar. they said the diablo rosso stood out as the clear winner for handling and dry traction - that was all they tested.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
I'm running a set of Diablo Rosso's right now. So far, they have been excellent wet or dry. Haven't put that many miles on them yet to comment on wear. Pirelli claims 5000 mile life. We'll see.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Monday morning I ordered a new front and rear set of Michelin Pilot Powers from RideDirect.com. They had them in stock which was more than I can say for some other places. As I live in MA there was no sales tax or shipping/handling charges. UPS delivered to me in 4 days. They had the best price I could find $266.90.

+1 for RideDirect. Good to work with and fast.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
I just bought myself Bridgestone BT-021's. I was looking for a higher mileage tire when I bought them!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:10 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I love tire threads, lol! Pilot Power 2CT front and Pilot Road2 rear. Good combo. My buddy's pilot power 2CT rear on his BMW K1200RS is already showing wear and mine looks like new, so I'm happy.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I'll have to give these harder BT-021s or the Michelins a shot.

I do a lot of freeway riding, and I burn these BT-014s up in less than 6 months.

I've had the bike since July and already replaced the front and rear and now I need to change the rear again.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:38 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Hmm. Many of the reviews I'm reading say the front BT-021 wears twice as fast as the rear (~3500) and is not dual compound. No complaints about the rear though.

Then everyone says they're going to switch to Michelin PR2s.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Perhaps not the hotest rubber, but still a fairly good sport touring tire - the Dunlop D220 is on close out at:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=CGC_CG-0702_G

I picked up a set with shipping for $156 couple weeks back.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dan Cronin
Monday morning I ordered a new front and rear set of Michelin Pilot Powers from RideDirect.com. They had them in stock which was more than I can say for some other places. As I live in MA there was no sales tax or shipping/handling charges. UPS delivered to me in 4 days. They had the best price I could find $266.90.

+1 for RideDirect. Good to work with and fast.
$266 for PP's is a phenomenal price! And they have free shipping over $200.

Last edited by Hotbrakes; 02-28-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Tires suggestions