General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Retreaded Tires - Anyone have experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Retreaded Tires - Anyone have experience?

I am considering buying some retreaded tires for my Superhawk, just because they are half the price of Pilot Powers. I wanted to check here to see if anyone has any strong feelings either way concerning this type of tire. There is a FAQ you can click on in this link that supposedly gives info on the deal:

lhttp://www.motorcycle-city.com/tires.html
Old 07-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
I was going to try their slicks for the track. but the costomerservice was so bad I canceld the order. from what I've heard they dont have the grip of some other tires but I've never heard anything deadly about them. if that shop has them in stock I'd say go for it.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:12 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
You may save some money buying "brand-x" retreads but sportbike tires were not designed to be retreaded. If you are a low speed stunter or wear you tires out doing burnouts they might be a smart choice but for anyone hitting the highway or twisties I would steer clear.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
You may save some money buying "brand-x" retreads but sportbike tires were not designed to be retreaded. If you are a low speed stunter or wear you tires out doing burnouts they might be a smart choice but for anyone hitting the highway or twisties I would steer clear.
Don't worry, LOCO is a stunta 4 show...LOL...He don't even need a front tire, the front never comes down when he rides...

And yes, I have been passed by multiple semi's on a twisty road in the past year...
Old 07-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Ha Ha Ha retreads what will they think of next. Get a job and buy real tires. What a chuch!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 PM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
no way I would trust my life on those.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Loco
I am considering buying some retreaded tires for my Superhawk, just because they are half the price of Pilot Powers. I wanted to check here to see if anyone has any strong feelings either way concerning this type of tire. There is a FAQ you can click on in this link that supposedly gives info on the deal:

lhttp://www.motorcycle-city.com/tires.html
You may consider giving this place a try http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchan...ory_Code=MTSBT I bought a set of DOT race michelins from them a few months ago . I mainly ride in the mountains ( mostly twistys ) . The are holding up better than I thought . I trailer up to where I ride . So I am not to worried about the centers getting worn out . They have been through several heat cycles & and they are still nice and sticky ! If you do a lot of highway I would def find something else...... For the price I had to try em .
Old 07-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Back Marker

midijunky is on a distinguished road
I wouldnt trust these on the road at 60mph+, this is my life we're talking about here

Stunting, however, is another story. I'd probably mount a set on a crap set of rims just for playing around at low speeds.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:01 PM
B R
Back Marker

B R is on a distinguished road
Only retards use retreads!

Not really, I just liked the way that phrase sounded . I'm like a frustrated comedian & copywriter .
Old 07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
I know that my dad wont even put them on his semi... LOL
Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
And yes, I have been passed by multiple semi's on a twisty road in the past year...
Was the semi running retreads?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Squid

Steve30v is on a distinguished road
Years ago I got a set of retreads on my car (I was a poor student). One of the tire treads separated from the belts and completely damaged the tire well. I was lucky I didn't wreck my car. I was told that the new treads are literally glued onto the belts.

Don't risk it. It's the only thing between you and road rash.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Squid

Waterboy is on a distinguished road
I don't post much on here but this caught my interest. I read an article in Sport rider about T-Hawks. They've been around for several years. Supposedly, They're re-treaded using the same process used for Re-treading aircraft tires. You could probably read about it on their web site, if they've got one. I know one of the things SR said was the tires themselves weigh a damn ton and slows the steering up quite a bit, and they were testing the T-Hawk DOT race tire.
Obviously, make an objective decision and go w/ it. If money is the issue and you can wait, Save for a month or 2 and spring for some qualifiers, pilots, or diablos! I've got qualifiers on my SH and they're good street tires. better than the old 208's

I would steer clear of DOT race tires for the street, though. They take longer to warm-up and you wont get the mileage out of them.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:20 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Sounds good and thank you all for the input. I was asking mainly because I did infact go to the manufacturer's website, where it was stated that "retreaded tires have come a long way since two decades ago" or some crap like that.

Basically I was hoping that it would be some kind of untapped technology that the price hadn't caught up with. But, as always seems to be the case, you get what you pay for. This seems to hold true for everything except cosmetic upgrades, and so there must be a reason retreads are so affordable.

It strikes me like buying refurbished electronics, different only in the fact that if my DVD player stops working, I don't die in a fiery crash!

I'm going with the Pilot Powers, turns out I only need the rear anyway (because yes, the front has very rarely touched the ground).