General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Regrettable Announcement

Old 02-21-2007, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Regrettable Announcement

At 0830 this morning I got taken out by a cage rider. My Superhawk is totaled. I'm ok except for a broken wrist. She didn't go out without a fight hitting the driver's side door hard enough to knock the rocker panels off of an Isuzu Trooper. My nuts packed the tank pretty hard but I kept the bike upright through it all and first put my feet down after I bounced back. The traffic accident was worked by two Travis County deputies that were both riding BMW bikes. They couldn't have been nicer to me being very complimentary about the gear that I always wear. I don't think I've ever heard a cop talk to a driver like one of these guys did. At one point I see the cop pointing at me and yelling/telling the guy, "You are having one of the luckiest days in your life - you see that guy over there? He's walking around!" The other driver got sited and I went up to the dealership later in the afternoon after the tow truck dropped her off. That's when they told me that she won't be back. If I decide to buy her out of salvage I will let everyone know. As well, I am interested in a low mileage, late model, in Silver or Red. My feelings are hurt more than I'm feeling hurt. Just sad really, I was really getting things dialed in so it's tough loss. I was right at the speed limit of 45 and had about 30 feet before impact. No, my life did not flash in front of me. I really appreciate all the help and laughter you all have brought to this project.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Damn, man. Sorry to hear about the bike and your get-off but it's good that you're okay. How'd it happen?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear about it, brother. Good job keeping it up. That's commendable. It's just a damned miracle that you didn't get hurt more than you did. Get the nuts and the wrist checked out by a professional and don't let anything slip by. I assume you have reciepts for all the recent work done over the last few months for insurance purposes. Lemme know if you need anything written from me.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
Really sorry to hear of your accident. They say that any accident you walk away from is a good one.

Still, it hurts to have the bike you pampared ruined.

Rise Out of the ashes to new heights!!

Tom
Old 02-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
We all feel your hurt. May the cage driver rot in that corner in hell that only the bike killers get.
On the lighter side; your life does pass before your eyes, it's called living.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Man I hate to hear that. Let me guess they were talking on cell phone while eating breakfast while pulling out in front of you and didnt even look once. Just a guess ? I am just glad your injuries were not worse. Hope you heal up quick and get back out there .
Old 02-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Squid

RedHotFireStorm is on a distinguished road
Roach.

Sounds like you've got a positive attitude, considering.
Get well
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Man, sorry to hear that... but glad YOU came out of it relatively unscathed (well, except for the family jewels, which, of course, are irreplaceable!).

It's a bitch that this stuff can happen so easily.
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I'd almost classify this in the miracle category. WOW! I bet the "boys" are going to hurt even more over the next few days.

What a shame about the bike. I know with the wrist you won't be wrenching anytime soon but maybe you can work out a deal with the dealership to remove some of the goodies for you.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
glad to her your ok. guess we'll have to wait on that track day.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Dude, I think I am tearing up, and no I am not joking this time....Damn man, I have this pit in my stomach right now for you...I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am that this happened, and at the begining of the season, and after all of the hard work you put into her this winter...As I was reading your post I was waiting for the, Gottcha, but alas that did not come...

I am glad you are not seriously injured, ice your nuts down, take care of the wrist....

Man this sucks, did they at least give that ******* a ticket, site him for something....If you need to borrow a baseball bat I have a really nice NBC stick here I would loan ya....

Ok, I am about to go back to smartass mode, so one last time, glad your O.K.

And let me just state for the record,,,,,I got first dibs on parts if you buy her back!!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Man.. it kinda feels like a death in the family. I guess, in a way, it kinda is.. Poor 'Hawk. At least you were able to walk away from it! It appears you kept your head on straight throughout the whole thing. No easy task, under those circumstances! Anyway, get some ice on that injury, and you should probably go easy on your wrist for a while, too!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Hi Nuhawk, take care and get well.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about that, Nuhawk. So many new bikes out there to chose from... Was in your position a year ago-totaled my Superhawk and decided of all the rides to replace it with I'd go with... a Superhawk ! Get well soon.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about the accident! Just think that your bike sacrificed herself to save you. But before she had to leave this world, she gave you a swift kick in the nads.

Hope you fully recover.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
F&*KIN A Doug!!!! You've gotta be kidding me. I'm SO sorry to hear that. You were just getting her where you wanted her. I know it sucks, I've been there and I know how much it hurts inside, not to mention outside, and you're not going to feel better for awhile no matter how many times people tell you how lucky you are. Well guess what? You're LUCKY and I'm glad to hear it's nothing permanent. Like I told Mike any time you can get away from an accident/crash of any kind in any sport with no permanent damage you're ahead of the game. As much as we love our bikes they're just bikes and can be replaced. It's friends and family and our time and health that can't and that's what counts. Once you heal up we'll be expecting a new project And if it's an insurance deal make sure to take off as much **** as you can like your exhaust and shock-they won't friggin know. If you need a stock shock to swap in so you can take yours let me know. When I got totalled years back my "friend" who picked up the two halves up my bike with his pickup picked all kinds of stuff off my bike while I was laying in the hospital, including my exhaust which miraculously survived pretty intact. Never told me, bastard, until one day I saw his bike about a year later and recognized my ****. Point is though the insurance never knew and they paid me for ALL the aftermarket stuff I had, even the clothes I had on...Feel better buddy.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
NH, glad you are here to tell us about it.

Hey check you insurance policy for accessories. Most only cover a small amount over the cost of the bike itself. My girl friend totaled her sv650s last year and she had a $1000 max on accessoties which included her leather (scuffed up) and Helmet (also scuffed and busted). So after subtracting that from the amount we were able to remove the full Micron SS high mount exhaust, Power Commander, Add on rear tail cowl, New tires we had just put on (luckily we still had the old stock ones), Tank Bra. To make up the difference we left the new under tail kit, frame sliders (scratched up).

Our thoughts were that she was going to ride again and it was going to be another SV650S. Well 3 weeks later she had a nearly bone stock late model SV650S and we re-accessorized the new bike with all the parts were scarffed from the salvaged bike including better tires.

Trick is to find out what they don't cover as part of the stock covereage and ask for the rest of the parts you worked and paid for. Don't forget to include your messed up riding gear.

Now the Health insurace stuff is another matter for your attourney's to decide.

Be sure to give it time and don't settle too quickly, the body heals slow and sometimes things start happening weeks down the road. Once you accept that settlement check for health compensation from the other drivers insurance it all final.

Heal fast, you will be back on the horse again soon.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:40 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn Doug, sorry to hear about it!! I know all to well about the bruise you're going to have, mine went all the way down my quad from you know where. Heal up, sucks about the wrist but it could've been MUCH worse. Welcome to the busted up club BTW.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Squid

bkdu is on a distinguished road
Damn!! Sorry to hear about your off ... good you're (reasonably) ok though. Except I feel for you regarding your baby ... seems you've put quite a bit of work and time into her.
Hope you come out of it all on top ... and just keep saying "at least I walked away".
Old 02-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Damn man, terribly sorry to hear about your misfortunes! I was really looking forward to getting to ride with someday! Glad to hear you were wearing your gear too! Just this Teusday night, a guy on a naked SV650 ran into a turning 4runner here and died. He had his helmet strapped to the back of his bike.

Probably a bad time to say this, but if you do or don't decide to buy her back, would you let me know? I need a heart and soul (engine) to make my project finally come to life. Id take the whole thing if you dont want to...
Old 02-22-2007, 03:30 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Bloody hell Doug that is shitty luck. It is bad enough losing a stock bike, let alone one you have made "yours" with some personal touches.

But as you say you walked away ok, and that is the main thing. And you are obviously thinking about a new VTR, so you will knw what needs doing to your next one. Good luck with it.

And now for a little humour, I hope you are up for it.

As Greg suggested, getting a professional to look at your nuts wouldn't hurt.

Just don't tell the wife.......

Hope the recovery goes well mate.

Cheers,
Shayne
Old 02-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
I am glad you are ok, I was riding around Austin yesterday and the cages seemed even more retarded than normal.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:28 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
you got lucky. Brush it off and thank god you lived to tell about it. Glad you are OK.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:07 AM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you are OK.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:24 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear of your accident, at least you are mostly OK!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Back Marker

Shmittay
damn man, sorry to hear about the bike but glad everything else is ok.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Like everyone else has already said, sucks to hear but gald you were able to walk away.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by shayne
As Greg suggested, getting a professional to look at your nuts wouldn't hurt.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention ...preferably female!

Doug's not married, IIRC, so it's okay.

I've been thinkin that if it's only a frontal impact then you're looking at forks, maybe triples, possible headlight and front fairing, probably tank (though you'll want to hang the dented one next to your bed ). Is that about it? Can't imagine it'd be totalled.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Glad you walked away. Sux rox about the bike, wrist and wracking da boys on the tank...*wince*
Keep us updated on your trevails with the insurance co and finding a replacement!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm glad you're ok, Doug.

I know it's ridiculous, but I still have your engine case, etc. in my garage.
Think about it and let me know if you want it. I'll refund you if you don't.

Rand

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Regrettable Announcement