General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Rearset Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Superstock

Verne
That's great to hear.

I have been keeping tabs on this thread.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Squid

ima98chickenhawk is on a distinguished road
good on ya mate.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Army Aviation
Squid

Firefly is on a distinguished road
Very interested.

Bump from the past.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM
RIPI
Squid
Squid

RIPI is on a distinguished road
Definitely one set here maybe two sets if the price is right. U guys are the best!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reminder guys. I never did hear back from Dr Honda. I emailed him again today.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Was there ever any progress on this?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I kind of doubt you'll see any. The design I came up with would fall into the same category as any other - too costly. Even though it might seem there is a lot of interest, unless you can make 100+ parts a time there isn't any way to bring the cost down to a manageable level.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:54 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
No progress. no reply from him at all.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 AM
SuperBike

I was thinking about making brackets that could mount a set of those sub-$200 rearset from eBay. If there would be some interest in that I can get something modeled and priced out.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
I'm interested, but don't want anything from China on my bike (ie: the cheap danmoto rearsets you see on ebay, etc...).
Old 01-13-2012, 11:54 AM
SuperBike

Well, therin lies the probem. People don't want Asian parts but also don't want to pay $500 for rearsets. It's going to be really tough to get the price down to a manageable level, but I can try.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
I'm fine with Japanese parts, or well made parts from non-communist countries...I just don't support our main global competitor if it is possible to avoid it.

Part of the problem with China stuff is that the prices don't match up to the quality...people move manufacturing there but then they suck up extra profit instead of making the same profit and selling it for cheaper. I refuse to the line pockets of ******** who move jobs overseas...those danmoto rearsets should cost about 50 bucks not 200. (BTW buddy of mine bought some for his R6...one side is already broken after only a couple of months..)

Stuff here is expensive for two reasons: a lot of shops aren't run efficiently and have too much overhead...and also materials have gotten f***ing expensive even compared to 5-10 years ago.

I'm not paying $500 for rearsets for a bike that cost me $3000...makes no sense. But what I WOULD pay for is someone to make an adapter plate that will let me use stock rearsets from a CBR or GSXR...the important part is achieving the lifted and rear positioning not having a fancy machined footpeg set.

Last edited by blamecanada; 01-13-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:07 PM
SuperSport

To me the main benefit if adapters would be the ability to change rearsets without messing with the swingarm. I lost two days at the track because there was no way to change them at the track. I don't care what rearsets theyre made to work for as long as they are one of the big brands like vortex or woodcraft so parts are easily available.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jay956
To me the main benefit if adapters would be the ability to change rearsets without messing with the swingarm. I lost two days at the track because there was no way to change them at the track. I don't care what rearsets theyre made to work for as long as they are one of the big brands like vortex or woodcraft so parts are easily available.
You don't make them to a brand... You make them to a motorcycle model... Match up the hole pattern to the CBR's or GSXR's and you can stick whatever rearset you want there... Chinese's or otherwise... And while otherwise isn't cheap, it's a whole lot cheaper than the ones for the VTR are though...

Both work, they are just slighly different, the CBR's being easier, since the angle they sit at match up better with where the adapter sits... And since the CBR 929/954RR are slightly different from the CBR 1000RR, I opted to make mine for the 1000RR, since I had several other parts from one already...
Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
forgive my ignorance guys on this guys but......what you are wanting is just a machined bracket that will allow you to take the setup from another bike (linkage and all) and mount it to our hawk thus with a the different setup moving your foot position?
Or something complete like this which is for a Busa?
Name:  RS532K.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  26.2 KB
Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Back Marker

MC Leather is on a distinguished road
Save your rear set money and buy a shock with ride height adjustment. Setup the ride height correctly and you will be unlikely to drag anything. I've never dragged anything on my bike at the track running a slow advanced group pace and I've touched anything down riding fast and hard here in the NC mountains.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:50 AM
SuperSport

Ground clearance is only one issue. Ergonomics, parts availability, and ease of maintenance are other advantages of aftermarket rearsets.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Back Marker

MC Leather is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jay956
Ground clearance is only one issue. Ergonomics, parts availability, and ease of maintenance are other advantages of aftermarket rearsets.
Oh, OK I've never had a problem with any of those things.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Back Marker

PappySmears is on a distinguished road
Did mine for under $150. Chinese rearsets off ebay. Alloy bracket tig welded to orig mounting.
Name:  DSC00006-2.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  60.5 KB
Name:  CIMG4027.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  61.5 KB
Old 01-14-2012, 02:42 PM
SuperSport

Now thats an approach I hadn't considered. Seems like the easiest way, that plate that was welded on seems pretty thin though.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:51 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by MC Leather
Oh, OK I've never had a problem with any of those things.
Well, if you go down on a trackday, and break off the mounting for the peg, not the peg itself, that makes it a PITA to fix, since the likelyness of that very specific part for the VTR being in stock somewhere is very low, and even if it's avaliable, it requires you to separate the bike in two halves... I have done that, and in that case I had to borrow a car, go to the nearby town and have the original piece bent back and welded, then go back and assemble the bike to be ready for the next day at the track...

With my adapters done, I can most likely find a set of CBR rearsets in 5 minutes, if I'm not too picky on price, and swap them in less time than that, since it's two bolts per rearset...

And with me making them a lot sturdier than they really needs to be, the chance of them breaking before the rearsets or pegs are about nil...

So, in my case, huge improvement...
Old 01-14-2012, 03:02 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by archaicguy
forgive my ignorance guys on this guys but......what you are wanting is just a machined bracket that will allow you to take the setup from another bike (linkage and all) and mount it to our hawk thus with a the different setup moving your foot position?
Or something complete like this which is for a Busa?
Well... there have been different ideas floating around at various times, so it's no wonder you could be confused...

My take on this was the simple approach... I didn't have a CNC machine, just an old mill, old lathe and a old but frigging big tower drill... So I made a plate replacing the part of the pegmount that is bolted to the swingarm pivot bolt with two single holes... Those match the hole pattern of the CBR 1000RR... So I can now unbolt 4 bolts, and stick either a set of stock CBR pegs on there... Or whatever aftermarket parts that fit a CBR... And that list is a lot longer, and a lot cheaper than the parts for a VTR...

When this thread started, I think the idea was to make the same mounting to the swing, but add a star of boltholes to make it a fully adjustable rearset with the addition of a stock rearset from a suitable donor bike... That should in theory be cheaper than a VTR specific rearset... As long as the series is big enough... And the added bonus is that you skip the three pieces bolted together that I have... An adapter to the baseplate for the rearset, to the peg plate...

But my honest advice... Go for the adapter... Pick a bike with a long list of aftermarket options, and make it to that boltpattern, angle and size, be it CBR, or GSXR... Then when you guys get your sets, you can choose a chinese, non-chinese, or OEM rearset to bolt to that... Adjustable or not, each choose... It's still a marked improvement to have the option of just bolting on an adjustable set with ease, not having to find a set from one of three specific manufacturers that still make them for the VTR...

If you click the image in my sig, you can see how my setup looks like in the album...

Last edited by Tweety; 01-14-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Hmmmmmm, alright I'm starting to get this figured out. Maybe I will work on fabing something like this up. Looks to me that the most difficult part would be getting dimensions correct.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
MotoGP

Well, if you have read the thread, that really shouldn't be a problem other than precision when making the item...
Old 01-14-2012, 05:20 PM
SuperBike

Just for kicks, below is the from-scratch design I came up with previously.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:44 PM
SuperSport

Nice! I'd buy them. But why not just make the piece that attaches to the swingarm. Then either drill for a certain bikes rearsets, our just leave them blank and people can tap them themselves.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Sorry to revive a old thread but I saw his in the search of "will a 04/05 GSXR 600 swing arm brace fit the VTR" and no that's not what I entered into the search.... Getting back to the point, Looking at the 2D CAD Tweety so graciously offered all I would need to do it cut it out, (one for each side) counter some holes integrating the plate for the adapter and I'm good to go? I hate to simplify it to that but with a Plasma Cam and a drill press I cant see what more I need. Yes a CNC mill would be nicer (cleaner edges and all) but a DIY set could be made?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:07 PM
MotoGP

Yepp... DIY is definitely an option... Drill press and hand tools is more than enough to make a set of basic adapter plates, to get full use of CBR or GSXR rear sets, after market or OEM...

My work aren't that far from full on DIY, being a piece of left over scrap stock, that I just drilled, countersunk, tapped thread in, and then cleaned up a little... I don't do fancy, I do basic, working stuff... I might have tools, but I could do things just the same without them...
Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 AM
mad skill collector
Squid

YOUNGJESTER is on a distinguished road
Rearset Adapters-rearsets.jpg morwaki anyone?