General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Rearset Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Rearset Adapters

I just sent a message off to Dr Honda to ask if he's had a chance to think more about some rearset adapters. I haven't heard back yet, but wondered if anyone else had perhaps contacted him and have any new info.

With track season coming up, I'd like to get something set up to use GSXR brackets (or some other common type) since they seem to be pretty common. Besides that, I was at a machine shop yesterday to get some rim work done for another bike, and noticed that they do all sorts of stuff. If nothing else, I may ask them about doing something, but thought I'd check here first.

Any info?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Given enough free time and motivation I could dig up the numbers for mine... They have holes matching the CBR 929/954/1000 race footpegs... Then you could go to your local shop and make a set...

I'm too swamped right now, but I might have the time come the weekend to go look...
Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 PM
SuperBike

If you could that would be good. I could ask my local shop what it would cost, and I could modify the holes to fit my application.

Have you found them yet?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, yeah... I'll get around to it as soon as possible... Not tonight though...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:28 PM
SuperBike

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE ELSE

IF I could get a machinist to make these ....and not sure of price yet....

Would you prefer to get them blank and drill your own holes for specific rearset application

OR

Match up to an existing rearset

AND IF SO

Which rearset would you like to see set up.....
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I've got my own design going. I just need some time to get it finished and costed out. I haven't put a lot of priority on it because my fear is that the cost will be kind of high.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 AM
SuperBike

Yeah, mine are in the thinking stages at this point. If I can get some type of design like Tweety's I could ask what the cost per set would be. I'm planning to have them made without holes since I plan to drill several sets of holes to move footpeg positions.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I could use some rear sets my big feet hit the ground when I lean in
Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Back Marker

gixxerjohn is on a distinguished road
send me the design, ill ask my machine guy how much to make say 50 sets..... do we think we have 25 ppl here who would buy some?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:37 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

so only 25 sets, 50 individuals, right? so 25 people, me being interested.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Back Marker

gixxerjohn is on a distinguished road
well if we get 25 confirmed, i can tell my guy and he can set me a price
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

so should I start the list?

1. nothing603
Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
i would be interested in a pair. once the design gets finalized and its decided what will be used
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
SuperBike

I don't think we're ready to put a list together unless everyone goes with the specific configuration that Tweety has. His uses CBR 929/954/1000 race footpegs, which is not what I'm looking to use. I was planning to take a look at his and possibly modify were necessary to make something generic.

In my case, I was planning to use GSXR stock footpegs just because of cheap (used) availability.

If you guys want to do the specific setup that Tweety used, then you'd be good to go. You should plan to add the cost of the race footpegs.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
i would be interested in a pair. once the design gets finalized and its decided what will be used

+1, I also would like to see a design first & price before committing.

"Quote Old yeller"
I would like blank so we could drill our own holes, then what ever rearsets.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 AM
MotoGP

Well... Just to clarify... The one's I made are with boltholes for the CBR's... Ie you can use the stock footpegs or the adjustable race rearsets... And stock CBR footpegs are as plenty and as cheap as the GSXR's... (Just keep in mind that CBR 1000RR parts won't work as the levers are sparate from the peg)

Just extend the plate enough to add a pattern of boltholes for adjustability and you have the same function... The reason I didn't do it this way, was that with the SP2 swingarm, my plates meant the pegs ended up more narrow than stock, so I wanted to add width and I was doing it with my own basic tools, not CNC... Plus I had a the rearsets available for next to nothing...

Keep in mind that since there isn't space for nuts and such based on interference, so any holes for mounting the pegs to the plate needs to be threaded, ie it's a bit more work than just drilling a new set of holes, and it's a lot easier to have all that "standardized" and made at manufacture, not doing it yourself... The hole needs to be centered and straight, so basic cordless drill won't work, you need a drillpress and a thread tap...

Last edited by Tweety; 01-20-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM
SuperBike

Thanks Tweety. those are my thoughts too. I have a drill press, so that's easy enough. I was hoping to take your design and generalize it enough to allow options for all of us. the real key for me was having something made that would bolt up to the swingarm bolt and also the smaller stabilizing screw below it. We'll have to take a look at the clearance issue too.

Is yours aluminum or steel? I was planning aluminum thick enough to carry the load, but I honestly don't know if that's the right approach.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
MotoGP

Mine is aluminium, about inch thick... No problem loadwise...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Tweety

Keep in mind that since there isn't space for nuts and such based on interference, so any holes for mounting the pegs to the plate needs to be threaded, ie it's a bit more work than just drilling a new set of holes, and it's a lot easier to have all that "standardized" and made at manufacture, not doing it yourself... The hole needs to be centered and straight, so basic cordless drill won't work, you need a drillpress and a thread tap...
That is a good point Tweety, I was thinking for the guys that do not have a drill press & thread tap set that most local mechanics could do the holes fairly cheaply for them. Just thought it may give more options than say every one having to use the same rearset.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:12 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Mine is aluminium, about inch thick... No problem loadwise...
I'll talk to my machinst about it. he's also an engineer and teaches at the college too, so he should be able to help with that part. I was thinking 1/2 inch, but design may be a factor too.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 AM
MotoGP

Well, for parts of it where you clamp it, it needs to be almost an inch, unless you want to use shims on the pivot axle...
Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
SuperBike

some CNC work on that side would be good to make a recess in it like the stock pieces have. we shall see.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I've always been interested. Price is always a factor. Show us a price at 25 sets, then we can generate interest.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 PM
MotoGP

Ok, I finally had the time to measure these... This is my "drawings" for my adapters... Not complete by any means... Keep in mind this is not scaled... I gave up trying to find a decent Freeware Cad program to transfer my paper outlines/measurements...

So to use this, you need to look at measurements, not the image of the footrest, it's just there for reference... (So, no you can't print it and sketch it off...) I used the pivot bolt as my point of reference and measure it out in a grid... Also, all measurements are in mm, not inches, you get to convert them if you want it any other way... All measurements are +/- .2 mm

The two bolt holes I measured out, is where I placed the boltholes on my adapters... That placement allowed me to set the footpegs at the OEM position with the adjustable rearsets set "in the middle" of the optional holes... So these apply to my rearsets alone... Again, just for reference...

The marking for the OEM placement of the rearset is there... Use that as a point of reference and place the rearset of your choice there, measure out your starting position and your "star" of holes for adjustment... Make sure they don't go inside the rings, that's where you want a big nut, and the material intact...

The vertical reference I used is set to where the stock footpeg has the rubber horisontally... In my case I could ignore that, as I used round alu pegs, but if you are using OEM rearsets from another bike, keep that in mind when aligning stuff...

Also, the front outline on the chain side is somewhat important, as it follows the contour of the sprocket guard, not following the outline, makes it impossible to fit the footpeg/adapter...

I simplified mine by making the plate uniformly thick, countersinking the smaller bolts and adjusting the spacer length a bit... If you make a CNC version, you can make it nicer, I included the OEM measurements for reference...
Attached Thumbnails Rearset Adapters-rearset_adapter.jpg  
Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 AM
MotoGP

What? No interest at all?!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Superstock

I'm interested

Thank you Tweety.

You do deserve a pat on the back for all you contribute to this forum.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
SuperBike

me too. just haven't had time to get on here in a few days. thanks Tweety!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Squid

Cuthberte is on a distinguished road
Hi,
A year before i got the rear set adopters for my honda 600rr 06 just only for $186.14 from ebay, and still using with no complain.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Squid

ima98chickenhawk is on a distinguished road
is this idea still on the table? how does one get on the list?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 AM
SuperBike

I had an IM from Dr Honda and I'm going to coordinate sending him some of my spare parts to see what he can come up with.

Quick Reply: Rearset Adapters