General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Rear stand hooks - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Rear stand hooks - ideas?

I use a rear stand with square tubing covered with rubber to lift the swing arm. It works well but placement isn't as positive as I would like.
I'm thinking of fabricating a downward facing hook and fastening it to the swing arm by drilling and tapping the swingarm for 6mm screws on the flat area below the rear axle. I have seen something similar on race bikes.
I'm thinking that a pair of 6mm holes below the axle should not have an effect on strength.
Comments?
I'm thinking of using 1/4" aluminum or 12 gauge stainless.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:28 AM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
hooks or spools??

I am also looking for a more secure way to put my bike on the stand. Want to put spools on but don't have an aluminum welder. Is it ok to drill a hole straight thru the swingarm to install spools? thanks Mort
Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
i wouldnt drill the swingarm, its weak enough as it is and flexes enough that it doesnt need a couple holes screwing with its integrity. weld a couple of mounts for the spools under the swingarm. thats how it is on my kawi and im pretty sure every other bike ive looked at does it the same way.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
i wouldnt drill the swingarm, its weak enough as it is and flexes enough that it doesnt need a couple holes screwing with its integrity. weld a couple of mounts for the spools under the swingarm. thats how it is on my kawi and im pretty sure every other bike ive looked at does it the same way.
Actually, as far as structural integrity, you could turn it to swiss cheese and it wouldn't matter much... It's not entirely hollow, it's extruded inside with "walls"... That's why it's so darned heavy, and the reason it flexes is simply because the "legs" are to narrow, the flex takes part in leg-vs-leg where they attach...

It's perfectly safe to drill in the lower corner, say an inch and a half in from the weld, and add two rivnuts for M6 or M8 bolts, and attach swingarm spools to that...

But, even if it's safe, and in no way will damage the swingarm, or cause any longterm harm... The better option is to weld on the mounts...

The reason is simple... In the case something goes wrong and you go flying into the scenery, no weld is strong enough to actually damage the swingarm, you just weld on the mount again afterwards... The rivnut though, either rips a big hole in the swingarm, or needs drilling out and replacing since it's twisted to hell... So either way, that means a new swingarm instead of an easy fix...