General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Read my plugs thinking about jet kit...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Squid

JakeT is on a distinguished road
Read my plugs thinking about jet kit...

So when I bought the bike it had jardine high mounts and a k&n airfilter. My assumption was it was running lean because that seemed to be the general consensus on the K&N. But after pulling the plugs, I'm not so sure. Let me know what you think.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JakeT
So when I bought the bike it had jardine high mounts and a k&n airfilter. My assumption was it was running lean because that seemed to be the general consensus on the K&N. But after pulling the plugs, I'm not so sure. Let me know what you think.

Well, to start with, there is generally no consensus on anything on this forum, much less the K&N...

I'd say that in general the K&N is rarely rich OR lean... The problem is that it is in fact both... It flows too much at speed, so bottom end tends to be rich, midrange tends to be lean, and top end is all over the place but generally lean... Mainly, people try to correct the problem by throwing fuel at it so it manages to be lean despite a massive fuel consumption...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, to start with, there is generally no consensus on anything on this forum, much less the K&N...

I'd say that in general the K&N is rarely rich OR lean... The problem is that it is in fact both... It flows too much at speed, so bottom end tends to be rich, midrange tends to be lean, and top end is all over the place but generally lean... Mainly, people try to correct the problem by throwing fuel at it so it manages to be lean despite a massive fuel consumption...
Thanks tweety makes alot of sense. The bike runs well no doubt about that. So I guess its just a matter of playing with the carbs. Well I guess I need another project
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Actually the plugs don't look all that bad IMHO.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Actually the plugs don't look all that bad IMHO.
Yea they aren't very old I think the old owner only put about 2-3k miles on them from the looks of it. I went ahead and ordered 2 new ones anyway just to be sure. I wasn't sure originally what kind of plugs were in there as well so I just order some iridiums onlline for $8 bucks a pop with free shipping.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JakeT
Yea they aren't very old I think the old owner only put about 2-3k miles on them from the looks of it. I went ahead and ordered 2 new ones anyway just to be sure. I wasn't sure originally what kind of plugs were in there as well so I just order some iridiums onlline for $8 bucks a pop with free shipping.
Damn! where the heck did you find plugs for the VTR for $8? I paid way too much from the honda dealer. I had better get 20k miles out of 'em for what I paid.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by twist
Damn! where the heck did you find plugs for the VTR for $8? I paid way too much from the honda dealer. I had better get 20k miles out of 'em for what I paid.

Ooops sorry just rechecked the site 9 dollars and a few cents

NGK (5545) DPR9EIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive NGK (5545) DPR9EIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug, Pack of 1 : Amazon.com : Automotive