General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Q = How did you know the SuperHawk was the bike for you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
Kinda fell into one. I was tooling Craigslist for my first street bike. I knew my price range and that I needed a bigger bike that a 600 cause Im a BIG guy. The more I read the more I wanted a Superhawk.

When I found THE ONE, I took it for a spin and fell in love. It came with upgraded springs, gold valves, Low mount Leo Vinci cans, K&N filter and Showa rear. $2900 OTD.

It is a salvage title, but the bike is in great mechanicle condition. No fairings, but I like it nekkid. The only problem with salvage is DMV is a Pain in the ***.........
Old 02-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
Really interesting comparing the thought processes. I knew I wanted a vtwin (been down the buzzy IL4 route and also had a Duc 450 single) so it came down to Duc, SV, TL, Buell or VTR. My decision came down to budget and ergonomics:
Duc - for the same $ I would have to buy a 5 yr older bike and then spend more to get it up to standard
SV650 - had a ride on one after riding the VTR - no contest in terms of grunt and ease of riding - seemed to be forever changing gears
SV1000 - outside the budget
TL - no way with that tricky rear suspension and racer crouch
Buell - has character, but parts very expensive in Australia. Like the Duc, would have to get an older bike
VTR - forgiving, cheap to customize and easy to work on, good ergonomics, Honda reliable (apart from CCT's)
Old 02-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Back Marker

bigpat123
ok journey to the hawk started when I first saw the 88 honda cbr f1 hurricane...at that point i new i had to have a bike but i was just going into high school so no dice. Fast foward 6 years and me and a friend put some cash on a 85 VFR 700 by todays standard it would be a huge POS. But we learned, we tinkered, we destroyed that bike. Then I got my money right saw a F1 for sale and bought it...rode from ny to miami on it within 2 years of getting it...Long ride and well not the most comfortable. Well the Hurricane died on me more then once and getting parts was not going to happen anymore..So i started looking.
Ducati- loved the sound not the price I was still in college
Suzuki and Kawasaki and Yamaha didnt impress me at the time
Honda- CBR 929 or 954
Honda -VTR 1000 SP1 RC51
Went to a dealer in Florida and saw all three of those almost bought the 929 but then i went home to do some research and went back the following week and I saw it....Sitting there in all its glory 03 Blue hawk...being shunned by a$$h@les saying it wasnt worthy to be ridden (they bought the 929, and crashed it leaving the parking lot) and I asked if we could start it and they let me and the price was right $5200 saving me $2000 over the 929 and 954...The RC51 was no where in my budget. But i did the math...$5200 otd and $2000 in my pockets= exhaust(jardine high mount), new helmet, jacket, locks(was in miami).

Oh it was used and i spoke to the the guy who rode it and he was scared of it so he traded it in and got a cruiser...
Old 02-14-2009, 03:33 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was riding old (pre '95) BMWs at the time - loved them for ease of use >luggage

Then the last 1 I owned had an electrical issue & was at a local BMW/Honda dealer. Wife said why don't U buy a new bike & get rid of the Beemer. I think within a week I had a brand new '02 VTR.

They had a used one there from a trade in - I rode that & was hooked. Torque, sound, power.

They wanted 6k for the used or 8k for new - no brainer. I do not think I looked at anything else. I knew the guys at the dealer & the 1 dude had or used to have a VTR & he said he loved it

This was / is my first sport bike.

Since new too many mods to list, but highlights R
Ohlins Rear / Racetech fronts > I always tell guys forget doing the exhaust right away - do the suspension - man what a difference

Givi Top Case

Heated Grips

In Western Mass

Jim Thorpe PA

Last edited by nnjhawk02; 02-14-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Wearing the Vtwin grin!
Squid

Bikephreak is on a distinguished road
I just bought mine, haven't even picked it up yet. I had a friend that bought one when they first came out. It had D&D pipes and sounded awesome! Not to mention the fact that I could NOT keep up with him on my F3. I've owned old school Buells and love having the V twin but wanted the Superhawk still. Well I finally (after ten years or so) have my Superhawk. I can't wait to hit the dragon(us129) on it!
Old 02-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motojoe
How did you know that the SuperHawk was the bike you were going to buy?

What was a deciding factor?

What else were you looking at?
First bike was an 86 Ninja ZX1000, fast as hell to learn on and heavy as a really heavy thing. It developed some weird engine issue that I didn't have the money or knowledge to fix so I sold it.

When I was getting back out of debt I started looking on Craigslist and found this black beauty for $2500. It was already streetfightered, which I like the attitude of plus racier plastics imply a racier rider, which I am not. It didn't need any work out the door, and I fell in love with the sound when it was started up. The PO had already had the forks raised and superbike bars installed so the sitting position is quite comfy (although I still need to adjust the suspension).

Cost was the main factor. I missed motorcycling so much I didn't care too much what I got as long as I could afford it and it wouldn't kill me.

I was looking at Ninja 250s (for cost plus gas was a lot more) and SV650s specifically, although anything in my price range got a look from me, even (cough cough) cruisers. I would have taken any 600 or larger I4 in good mechanical shape if the price was right.

I wanted a larger displacement sporty bike though, and this certainly fits the bill.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
Wink Why a Super Hawk

After 30 years off bikes, decided it was time to get back on. Last bike was a Honda 500-4. Sought out advice on what to start back in with, but started out w/ a strong predisposition towards sports-touring configs. Got a ton of pro 2 cyl., 650cc range advice, due to lighter weight, massive advances in suspension, brakes, etc., since I'd last ridden. Was really focusing on Suzuki 650's, Kawa Versys, and that range of bikes and $ was a big issue w/ 2 sons in college. Was not thrilled with the looks of what I was looking at (except the SV650, but ergos suck) and had longer range concerns that power might soon get a little disappointing. Also had a sweet deal on a Suz. Kat 750 w/ very low mileage available to me, but wasn't crazy about the looks and a seemingly high center of gravity.

In looking at a local large used bike dealer, saw an 05 SH and really loved the looks of the bike and noted the twin and thought, the flat tourque curve and low weight might make a lot easier to deal with (than a jumpy 4 cyl bike). Having studied this bike several times, and some web research got it added to my list. Then I found this blog and did some more reading.

Found a couple of very good looking local deals (we're lucky to have lots of real low mileage bikes in NE) on 98 - 03 examples. Finally went to see a blue 03 w/ 5500 miles on it in CT, came to an agreement with the owner. I'm cranked it's coming home in the next day or two! Looking forward to welcoming the Blue Streak to it's new home, and have plans to make it more ergo friendly for an old fart. Already have a set of VFR800 bars to go on and plan to add a double bubble, corbin seat and sport bags so I can be cruising NH and VT in short order!!

Blog name will soon change to Blue Streak......Many thanks to this Forum for my decision, plans and the 'how-tos!'
Attached Thumbnails Q = How did you know the SuperHawk was the bike for you?-sendable.jpg  
Old 02-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
I have a 2000 RC-51, love it. I had to have another twin. Torque rocks!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

cljackson99 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
I had a Hawk GT for about 16 years. I really liked that bike. I'd had it since new and it was in beautiful shape. It got to the point though where I was more concerned about throwing it down the road than enjoying it.
I read about the VTR in a number of magazines. All of the reviews were favourable. The VTR's competition was the TL1000S. I decided against the Suzuki because I didn't think anyone knew much about rotary shocks and the VTR looked a lot better in my opinion. I bought my VTR slightly used. It had about 1,400 km. on it. It's been a fabulous, reliable, versatile bike. I don't want anything else.

Ditto 90% of what Comedo said. The other 10% difference is that I wanted fuel injection (Suzuki SV has it but I'm a Honda guy at heart) and then there's Comedo's whole metric thing there ...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
Every VFR I called on was either sold or a POS, so I bought the VTR.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:12 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Looked different. Sounded different. Best price for a liter bike.

Then I saw a guy at a mall parking lot giving his friend lessons on one. Struck up a conversation and the guy asked me if I'd like to try his to see what it was like. Love was born (for the bike).

Found one on eBay and picked it up in Pittsburgh. Happy ever since.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
I was looking for something with more power than my Yamaha 600 Seca II. I had had instances where the power was just not enough. It had such a small power band range. While looking at the dealership I saw a nice slim looking bike. When I first sat on the S/H I said "man this feels nice". Slim and a nice flickable balance. Also low enough to flat foot( I'm 5'10). When I got to test ride one I said, man this is easy to ride but a bit slow(coming of a 600 inline) (but weary(cautious) of a 1000cc).. That was until I glanced down at the speedo and noticed I was at 50 mph(in a residential culdesac). Boy what a surprise( a pleasent one). That and the sound of the V-Twin was a on the spot decision.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
In 1998 I was reading an article in Motorcyclist Mag and saw a picture. I was a Jr. in High School and fell in love. I said I would own one of those bikes one day. Here I am some time later and I have been blessed to be on my second SH now. I have had the two bikes I have always wanted. I started with my dream bike, a Yellow SH and now have moved on to my 03 Blue one.

Couldn't be happier!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Squid

slowjoe is on a distinguished road
Guy wanted to trade it for my Harley
Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Squid

George H Hill is on a distinguished road
I test rode one. Rode it not very far... really, just around the block. Pulled up the guy and pulled the cash out of my pocket. Done.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
The price was right.

I wasn't looking for another bike, but I was growing tired of riding my CBR on the street. My CBR is great, but it belongs on a track, and it was time to try something different. A twin for the street is nice. Torque whenever you want it, and more useable power than a true supersport.

VTR is more comfortable too.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Power User
Squid

Ndogg550 is on a distinguished road
Since I was a kid, I was in love with the Ducati SS bikes... When it came time to buy, the high price and expensive upkeep turned me away, and the "HonDucati" Superhawk solved it.

What I lost is a bit of mystique and a bit better chassis... What I gained was comfort, reliability, straight line speed, and a positive balance in my bank acct.

I fell in love quickly, and no longer care if it's not the Italian that I always dreamed of. I'm more than happy with my VTR.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Squid

tonelar is on a distinguished road
One of my all time fave bikes was (and still is) an 88 Hawk (the blue year, of course). I'd ridden a friend's red SH and was impressed. So, I started casually looking for a VTR as a "next purchase" sort of thing.

A few years later, I was walking through a local dealer and caught a flash of blue out of the corner of my eye. There she was, a brand new 03 sitting unwanted at the end of the line of 06 models. Best part? They had her stickered at $3999.

Last edited by tonelar; 06-24-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Squid

RegularGuy is on a distinguished road
I had been looking for a bike for some time...I love the old bikes of the 70's, all go, engine, tank, wheels....beauties. Love the Ducati Monsters and Triumph Speed Triple, they come close to my idea of a motorcycle. Then one day I had to tell one of the directors at my company that he had to move his bike that had been sitting in an enclosure for roughly a year, his only response "crap, I had no place to put it, you want it?" It was a 98 SH with only 6k miles. He gave it to me for the price of the back registration. It turns out that I really enjoy this bike.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
Began thinking about getting back into motorcycling in '98. After reviewing what was available on the market, decided a sport V-twin was the way to go because of its useable power. Decided on the TL but was discouraged after reading about its issues.

Bought a new '98 VTR in mid '99 at a good price. Went for it. Glad I did.

Since then I've acquired a couple of 'Busa's and a Ducati, very fine machines. 13 years and 98,000 km later, the VTR is still pure joy to ride.

Last edited by storm_rider; 06-24-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Older and Slower
Squid

wayne is on a distinguished road
Kinda of a weird story. This spring I was picking my wife up at the hospital after a couple day stay. Her discharge wasn't quite ready so I decided to visit a nearby dealer that was having an open house event just for fun. I had been tossing around the idea of updating my 84 Fj1100 to something a little more modern. In the used bike section there was this absolute mint 98 SuperHawk in red with 1100 miles on the clock! I checked in with a salesman, got the key and started it up. That was enough. The Staintune pipes sounded awesome. I made an offer, and shortly after laoded it on my truck. The next weekend the FJ went down the road. Haven't regretted it a bit. Love this bike.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I put a project car (1970 Datsun 240z) I had up on Craigslist for a trade, got an email with an offer of the hawk and decided to go for it. The guy trailered the hawk 4 hours to look at the 240, decided he didn't want it, then turned around and drove home. Needless to say I was bummed, until a month later he emailed me saying he changed his mind. He brought the bike out again and we traded straight across. The best part is that I only paid $450 for the car.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Had my chance to work on bikes back in the 90's, rode and worked on any bike you can imagine, from Harley's to BSA's and Norton's, not to mention ALL the sport bikes, cruisers and off roads of the 90's, but when the VTR came out and I got to test ride one, I fell in love... I did like the TL as well at the time, but after spending several years in a shop, I learned how far Honda goes with reliability, I had my share working on engine internals and saw many second gears, but I have to say that I barely saw Honda's for engine jobs, not to mentioned never seen one for second gear now that I think about it.
A friend of mine got a brand new VTR back in 98, I got to ride it many times swapping bikes, after 60,000 miles under my watch without any issues what so ever, I have promised to my self to get a VTR one of these days, but could not get rid of my other collection of project bikes, as every one of them transformed to something special almost like children for me
My dream VTR eventually came to me last year and now I fall into deeper love, even my wife became jealous at my new baby
Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Full Fledged Member
Squid

jeremyabbott is on a distinguished road
I just had to reply to this post. I started riding at 16, became a MC safety instructor at 18 and taught for 9 years, rode student bikes, rode friends bikes, rode instructors bikes and every motorcycle week in Laconia, NH rode all the demo rides of Harley, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph, BMW, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Victory, Buell etc. I was reading Cycle World in 98 and read about the Hawk and the TL1000S. I knew I wanted a Hawk. Then I was out with some friends and one had a TL and one had a Hawk and I got to ride each. I was on a 79 GS1000 completely modded at the time. After riding both of the bikes I fell in love with the Hawk and decided it was the bike for me.

Well, 5 kids later I was not any closer to getting my Hawk. After 11 years of waiting I found one that my bosses brother picked up in from a guy having to leave the state quick. 1 owner, 98 Hawk absolutely pristine, 14K, pipes and air filter all ready done for $2,500. After going to the wife she agreed to make it happen to get the bike. When I went back the brother had sold the bike. I think I actually cried. Two days later my boss said to go out to the back garage, when I walked in there was the Hawk. My boss says, I know how much you wanted this bike and it was your dream, I bought it and am giving it to you as a bonus. HOLY CRAP!!

I have now had it for three years, only got about 10K on it. First season developed a C4 issue. Last year got surgery to get the C4 fused, then severed my Achilles twice, two back surgeries and my year was gone. Only got like 1000K on it last year. This year I am finally out of the walking boot, on the bike and going to have an awesome year.

This bike is the only bike that I have ever wanted, I cant imagine another bike. At motorcycle week in Laconia I only saw two other Hawks. And when I was ready to ride, in thousands of bikes I couldn't wait to see mine again and get on it and ride. The power, the ride and that sound takes my breath away. I love just rolling off the throttle to feel that rumble and wail stop my heart. Amazing, amazing bike and so few out there. My boss rides a fully modded $30K+ Harley bagger and my Hawk sounds as good or better.

Sorry this is so long but I can't help talking about this journey and how awesome this bike is. And, coolest thing. When my family and I move to New Zealand in September she is going with me!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Squid

damascusdave is on a distinguished road
From the time I sat on one at a Honda dealership I knew that I would love to own and ride one. i have not owned a motorcycle for about 30 years and really looked at a lot of bikes and rode a few. I would actually have been satisfied with a Honda CBR 250. Go ahead and dismiss that bike as underpowered but do so after you have actually ridden one. I decided that I was not going to spend any more than 5 grand on a bike because of our limited riding season. Well one of the sales people from that same dealer gave me lead on a 2004 Suprerhawk well within that number and the deal was made. To me the Hawk is truly deserving of its almost cult following. The only reason the owner sold hers is that for the riding she does her Interceptor is just more reasonable.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jeremyabbott
I just had to reply to this post. I started riding at 16, became a MC safety instructor at 18 and taught for 9 years, rode student bikes, rode friends bikes, rode instructors bikes and every motorcycle week in Laconia, NH rode all the demo rides of Harley, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph, BMW, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Victory, Buell etc. I was reading Cycle World in 98 and read about the Hawk and the TL1000S. I knew I wanted a Hawk. Then I was out with some friends and one had a TL and one had a Hawk and I got to ride each. I was on a 79 GS1000 completely modded at the time. After riding both of the bikes I fell in love with the Hawk and decided it was the bike for me.

Well, 5 kids later I was not any closer to getting my Hawk. After 11 years of waiting I found one that my bosses brother picked up in from a guy having to leave the state quick. 1 owner, 98 Hawk absolutely pristine, 14K, pipes and air filter all ready done for $2,500. After going to the wife she agreed to make it happen to get the bike. When I went back the brother had sold the bike. I think I actually cried. Two days later my boss said to go out to the back garage, when I walked in there was the Hawk. My boss says, I know how much you wanted this bike and it was your dream, I bought it and am giving it to you as a bonus. HOLY CRAP!!

I have now had it for three years, only got about 10K on it. First season developed a C4 issue. Last year got surgery to get the C4 fused, then severed my Achilles twice, two back surgeries and my year was gone. Only got like 1000K on it last year. This year I am finally out of the walking boot, on the bike and going to have an awesome year.

This bike is the only bike that I have ever wanted, I cant imagine another bike. At motorcycle week in Laconia I only saw two other Hawks. And when I was ready to ride, in thousands of bikes I couldn't wait to see mine again and get on it and ride. The power, the ride and that sound takes my breath away. I love just rolling off the throttle to feel that rumble and wail stop my heart. Amazing, amazing bike and so few out there. My boss rides a fully modded $30K+ Harley bagger and my Hawk sounds as good or better.

Sorry this is so long but I can't help talking about this journey and how awesome this bike is. And, coolest thing. When my family and I move to New Zealand in September she is going with me!!!
Great story, very touchy. BTW you will love NZ, it is an awesome place for bikers, when you get the chance, drop some pictures from rides down there and watch for the sheep.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Was a warm day at an intersection close to home while mounted on my F4i. A demon screamed in behind me. I looked in the mirror to see this Yellow SuperHawk. As the light went green all I saw was pipes and was destroyed by the roar. At that moment I said to my self.... "Im riding the wrong honda". I love the fact that the bike looks nothing like the Honda line, its in a class of its own.

Ever since that day I was sold and 4 years later I got one for my 27th birthday just recently. Im one happy guy. I can tell you its so great to roll up next to "main stream bikes" the sh is quite underknown and bewilder others with its presence and performance. The bike invokes inception in many onlookers as it did me 4 years prior.

Thanks Honda!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Maybe that was me?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 PM
When in doubt, C4
Squid

Sawzall86 is on a distinguished road
They just have such a unique, and unmistakable tone to them for me. I've ridden 'Hawks and other high rev v-twins before, but never had the appreciation for a street bike as I do now, I was always an "offroad guy". I ended up lusting after one a few months back. After a back and forth with the owner, I've known the guy since I was little, over the course of a few months I finally talked him into selling it to me. I test rode it and a Triumph Daytona T595 that he was trying to sell me instead of his SuperHawk, to decide my next street bike coming off of a porky '94 CBR1000F. I fell completely in love with the 'Hawk after a short test ride to confirm my choice.

I've been happy and tinkering with it, as much as I try not to, ever since.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Maybe that was me?

Haha Wouldn't that be the smallest world ever!

Quick Reply: Q = How did you know the SuperHawk was the bike for you?