General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Q = How did you know the SuperHawk was the bike for you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
i thought that i could summarize my reasons in a word or two but as i read the other posts, i came to the conclusion that my reasons were many.

-Price: This is my first bike, I'm pretty burdened with school loans, insurance, and i'm recently out of school so my paychecks would make most people cry.

-My buddy that finally convinced me to get my license and pick up a bike rides an aprilia falco. I loved the sound of that thing and the low end grunt.

-When i finally stumbled across the bike that i would eventually wind up buying, it had all the aftermarket awesomeness mounted up....Jardine cans, Corbin seat, integrated tail and streamlined marker lights up front. the first owner was a mechanic at the local honda shop too

-once i heard it fired up by the guy selling it, i was sold.

-I did some online research and was surprised to see that these things go FOREVER. The stories about guys putting thousands of miles on their Superhawks with little service was a definate plus. i found this site and did my reading. so...i guess all you guys on here had a hand in me meeting the internal combustion love of my life.

...i'm sure there are more reasons but that's all i can think of after only 1 cup of coffee
Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
I am 6'4" with long legs. it was the only thing at the dealer that fit correctly. all the bonus points came after i purchased it. if i had to do it over again i would have made the same choice.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
i got mine for quite a reasonable price. after riding it, i just fell it love with it. i could tell it was a little heavy, but it handled great and had great power delivery.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
I thought I wanted a Ducati, except I can hardly even spell 'desmodromic valve actuation', much less adjust them puupies. The VTR seemed like a good compromise between V-twin fun and Honda reliability. I happened to be browsing at a dealer in 2000, and mentioned I liked the VTR but definitely not in yellow - next thing I know he's offering me a new '99 in black for $7200.

Sold!

Other potential rides at the time were: Ducati Monster or Supersport 900, Triumph Daytona or Speed Triple. I'm very happy with the 'hawk!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I wanted the next sporting V from Honda. I had owned an Ascot VT500, VF750 Interceptor, VFR700, and a Hawk NT650 already, so the VTR seemed like the next logical step. I have owned other types of engine configs as well but I loved all the Vs I've had the most and knew the VTR would be good gruntin fun.

The only problem was that I had to wait so long to get one. I wanted one from the day they came out but due to the many twists and turns in my life I could not put the $ together for one until last year. Glad I finally followed though and got one though.

I thought about the SV1000 but read that the VTR was better.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I owned a yamaha seca II and noticed a red bike parked at a muffler shop on my way home from work. after seeing it there for a few days, I swung in and parked next to it. got off, and took a good hard look at the 2 bikes. compared to my seca, it looked like a big red monster that could eat my bike for breakfast. I looked into it and when it came time to upgrade, the hawk was at the top of the list. I knew I wanted a twin sportbike. it was between a buell firebolt, ducati 900SS, sv650, and the hawk. I found a red one just on the other side of the wisconsin border and snapped it up. 3 days later I crashed it hard and spent the next 4 months fixing it, and riding the old seca. used the opportunity to mod it up, sold the seca, and have been happy owner ever since.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I was working on Saturdays at the local Honda shop in the summer of 97'.
They had a large storage area that had customer's bikes in for service.
Well one day I strolled passed a SuperHawk. I stopped in my tracks. Grabbed a double take, and said "wow what a bike!". I knew then that that was the one for me.
Always thought I would get another I-4. But after seeing the SH, it all went out the window. Got one about a year and a half later.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
Looked at all the newness, and thought it was all too racy. Decided I'd get a 954rr that was used and would work. Went in to get it and saw the hawk. Asked them about it and they said it was a twin and fired it up. Right then and there said I'll take it. Now back to the I-4's, but still love the twin.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Squid

Manning
The first bike I fell in love with was the Hawk GT, and I've always been a HUGE fan of Honda (cars, bikes, 4-wheeler, everthing...) because of my brother. I've always wanted to buy a Ducati, but thought the costs involved (inital and maintenance) were too much. When I realized Honda made a bike that was also a 90 degree V-Twin, I had to check it out.
The local shop had a used one that brought me into the shop, but they were asking too much for it and the new ones weren't that much more. I checked around and all the dealers nearby still had brand new '02s and one even had an '01 in a crate. Because it was April '03, they were all starting to get the '03 models and were willing to deal on the old models. Got a good price and have been loving it ever since. And I love the fact that I hardly ever see them on the street and no one knows what I'm riding.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
I love when you fire it up.. and get those double takes from people nearby.. "what the hell is that?"
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
My g/f actually picked it out for me. I was shopping for an SV650, but took a Hawk for a spin that she found in the paper and researched. I loved the sound and feel but my first though is it was too fast for me only having 6 months riding experience at the time. I was checking out another SV and about to hand the money over when she talked me out of it to go take a 2nd look at the Superhawk.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
My g/f actually picked it out for me. I was shopping for an SV650, but took a Hawk for a spin that she found in the paper and researched. I loved the sound and feel but my first though is it was too fast for me only having 6 months riding experience at the time. I was checking out another SV and about to hand the money over when she talked me out of it to go take a 2nd look at the Superhawk.
Close call! I'd actually like to have a SV650 to make into a track weapon
RC
Old 02-06-2009, 11:05 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Close call! I'd actually like to have a SV650 to make into a track weapon
RC
+1 to that. I took my buddy to his first track day last season with his sv650, and my hawk. I had all I could do to keep up with him. granted, the track had only one real high speed section but still. those things can corner FAST!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
+1 to that. I took my buddy to his first track day last season with his sv650, and my hawk. I had all I could do to keep up with him. granted, the track had only one real high speed section but still. those things can corner FAST!
Yep, never ridden one, but I hear they're light, nimble and have that Vtwin torque to pull outta the corners...add a rider with death wish and you can say by-by on a track fulla turns
Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
I guess the fact there weren't to many sport twins on the road drew me toward the SH and the RC51. I liked the sv650 but thought it would be too low on power especially with someone on the back.

I've owned a single, a triple and have ridden a number of I-4s. For me a triple sounds awsome when spooled up with the right pipe. Unfortunately, I didn't see many triples to look at for sport riding.

As for the I-4s, I loved the GSXR 1000 because it had everything (torque, speed, handling, brakes and a ton of aftermarket parts) but didn't want to have what everyone else had.

The video clips of the SH, RC51 and Duc sounded pretty good with a set of aftermarket cans. I knew the usable power would be good enough for the street even with 2 up. I really liked the idea of how slim the bike was compared to the I-4s. The SH seemed to be the best deal as long as you did a few upgrades.

<deciding factor>
For me the deciding factor was the follwing and support on the web. Because of forums like this I knew going in the majority of dings against the SH (forks, shocks, seat and breaks). All things that could be upgraded w/o breaking the bank. I was also glad to see how little it costs to insure.

<What else were you looking at? >
RC51 was my first choice but you probably wouldn't put someone on the back. As I'm only 5'8" it actually fit better than the SH. If the Duc 999 was more reasonable on parts/service and insurance I'd have put it right up next to the RC51. Except for the ugly headlight assembly, the 999 is a great bike.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Squid

grasshoppermouse is on a distinguished road
it gives me wood.

i heard one and couldn't get that awesome rumble out of my head.

it sounds awesome idling along or wicked up. (most motors only sound good one way or the other)

i'm normally a single man. but this works for me.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cleveland
I love when you fire it up.. and get those double takes from people nearby.. "what the hell is that?"
love that too, I go riding with my buddies who have all I-4. and when I start mine up everyone looks to see what that was.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
To be truthfull, I was not looking for a hawk, i bought mine from a friend who could not afford to keep it. I always loved the sound of it and I had never owned a v-twin sportbike. Always had a I-4, so when he needed to sell I stepped up to help a brotha out. Not as fast as most bikes i've owned but the sound from my MIG's are a real head-turner. Plus I sound faster than my friends.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
to be perfectly honest i was looking for a bandit1200s-1250s and while on gregs list i stumbled on this beutifull red superhawk. i hadnt even heard of a super hawk but it was love at first site,and was well within my price range. coming from a 92 katana 750 this bike felt like silk on my test ride and the torque was what sealed the deal. i love my superhawk and hope ill get atleast 50,000 miles on her before looking at my next bike purchase.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Back in '99 I had narrowed it down to a few choices for my first new/newer bike. Loved the '97 YZF1000 and also the TL1000S in addition to the VTR. I was looking at a mint red '97 TL1000S with a full yoshi exhaust. Fell in love with it but the guy dragged his *** for a month when I asked for the warranty paperwork and when I asked him to put it on a dyno for me at my cost. By the time he got back to me a month later I had seen a new superhawk parked next to me pull away and found a screaming deal on a new leftover '98 and that was all she wrote...It was a combination of the sound, the look, and all the amazing things I had heard about it. Like I've said before I also owned and ridden a bunch of other sportbikes including owning a mildly modded '00 ZX12r which is probably the best bike I've ever ridden, but I sold it and kept the superhawk because it was always just more "me."

Last edited by captainchaos; 02-06-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
I had a 2000 Victory V92C for about a year and I had had enough of it. I was really tired of a bike that drove and stopped like a truck. I was tired of it sliping out of 3rd gear and trying to kill me (a problem later rectified by a Victory recall after numerous complaints and a couple deaths - but too late for me as I got rid of it). I wanted something faster and more nimble. Initially I wanted a VFR or a Hyabusa, as I was not intersted in an all out racebike, because I'm a fairly large dude at 6'1" and 225 lbs. The local Victory dealer is also a Honda dealer. So, in 2007, I had it narrowed down to two leftovers - a 2006 Hyabusa for $8000 out the door, or a 2005 Super Hawk for $6500 out the door. Needless to say, I got the Honda mainly for 2 reasons - 1. It was cheaper and 2. It said Honda on it.

I only test drove the Honda, and that really was all it took. My initial impression was that the bike was really "angry". I twisted the throttle and it took off like a bat out of hell, and I thought I must have really pissed it off. Coming off a big heavy cruiser, it was like night and day. So, I bought it right there. They gave me almost $5k for my Victory (which I bought used for $6k) so, I essentially got a brand new sport bike for about 1500 bucks.

So I guess it came down to price and I liked the feel of it. Overall I still think it's a real nice bike. I'm just waiting until I get the money to do the seat and front end springs and valves. In fact, I went to the Honda dealer today and they have all the racetech stuff, and I'm in pretty good with the parts guy. So in about a month or 2, all will be well when I get a sweet hookup.

As a side note, the honda garage is also a harley garage and they had a new sportster XR1200 in. Man was that thing sick. Best looking/performing bike harley has ever made. I can't wait until York open house in September when I take one out for a ride. 90 hp can't be too bad can it? Surely it's no super hawk, but I'd still like to ride it.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Always had an infantile attraction to a pair of large jugs, large, warm, pulsing, .... eh, what was the question? Oh yeah.

I had been a good boy, so it was 'NEW BIKE TIME! The parameters were: 1,000cc, V twin, semi-sporting, mono-posto, ohc, arrest me red, home garage maintenance, no scaring of the insurance agent.

Wheat from chaff, VTR remained. No regrets.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:31 PM
On a Jonda, or a Hondo...
Squid

txrb182sc is on a distinguished road
It fit the profile of what I wanted as a first bike... kinda

I was looking for an older used sport bike with a relaxed riding position (for a sportbike) that I could learned to repair and maintain; and also it had to be in the neighborhood of $3000.

The bikes that I started out wanting were the SV650, V-strom 650, YZF-600R, and CBR600F4i. The only thing about most 600's and smaller is that it's hard to find ones that are physically big enough for 6'3" 220 lbs, there are a couple exceptions on that list, the DL650 and the 600R are pretty big for 600's.

I found a superhawk for sale locally at $3000 and at first I was kinda leery of the 1000cc power; but when I heard the exhaust note coming from the dual high-mount, Two Brothers exhausts I knew I had to have it. Plus V-twin power is different than I4 power so I talked the guy down to 2.5 on a couple maintenance issues and took it home.

Plus I've always had Honda ATV's because they run FOREVER and like I said, I wanted to learn how to perform maintenance on my first bike; because motorcycling is an expensive habit and doing your own maintenance can help keep the costs down.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:08 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 59burst
As a side note, the honda garage is also a harley garage and they had a new sportster XR1200 in. Man was that thing sick. Best looking/performing bike harley has ever made. I can't wait until York open house in September when I take one out for a ride. 90 hp can't be too bad can it? Surely it's no super hawk, but I'd still like to ride it.
I also like the looks of the XR1200, but at 562lbs dry it's kind of a porker...I read that 0-60 is like 4 seconds, kinda slow for a sporty motorcycle...I'm afraid it would be a disappointment compared the Superhawk, hot for a harley though..
Old 02-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
I also like the looks of the XR1200, but at 562lbs dry it's kind of a porker...I read that 0-60 is like 4 seconds, kinda slow for a sporty motorcycle...I'm afraid it would be a disappointment compared the Superhawk, hot for a harley though..
I'm sure it wouldn't hold a candle to the performance of the super hawk, but 562 lbs. is pretty light for a harley. I'll bet it's the harley that's the most fun to ride. Not for the passenger though. That seat is really small and has a ridge of plastic right in front of where the passenger sits.

Still, way cool looking.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:01 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 59burst
Still, way cool looking.
agreed...
Old 02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
last bike was a '90 ZX-7. Liked it , but wanted to try a twin. Looked at RC-51, tales of overheating woes and cost kept me looking. Looked at Suzi's but came across the 'hawk for a good price. Flew out to buy it w/out ever having been on one. Best choice I coulda made...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
I wanted a bike for a very long time so i finally started shopping around for a 600cc for cheap, a fixer upper, something that i wont feel too bad about dropping as i learned.

came across a superhawk "a super....what? never heard of it" a guy was selling for pretty cheap as it needed some work.

i was also vary of the 1000cc but as i read into it i realized it wasnt a "true" 1000cc as most people think.

went to see it and i fell in love with it on first sight, i just wanted something sporty looking and it fit the bill...picked it up for 2200CAN knowing it needed rear tire and chain/sprockets

turned out it needed new tire as well, new brakes, throttle tube, minor welding of a bracket on the frame, etc etc

first and last time a shop was gonna do work on my bike as half the cost was labour. ********...i truly still believe half the stuff they said was necessary to pass the safety was not actually necessary and they were taking me for a ride.

rode it for a season and appreciated the bike more and more. I never actually appreciated how good the bike was until i bought a second bike. a ZX7R which is a great bike in itself, but the V-twin torque cannot be replaced! the hawk is sitting in my living room as i slowly work on it for the next season.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Craigslist...used price...Honda reliablililty...easy to maintain...something sportier than I have...the look... and the fact that the short test ride I did was very comfortable for my lower back.

Just had M3's put front and back and rode it home Monday. I liked it that much more. An absolute joy to ride.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Squid

Starbucks Fueled is on a distinguished road
I rocked a 97 F3 for a while that I bought new. Then I got out of riding for a while. Then a guy I work with bought this used 2000 Hawk. Every time I saw it I thought, man, that's a nice bike. Then he took it for a ride through a corn field, Mostly cosmetic damage. He held onto it for a while, then needed money. He offered it to me for $500, so I took it. Now she's almost 100% again. As soon as I got on her, I was hooked.

Thump, thump, big torque, slings my 175# but down the road fast.

Quick Reply: Q = How did you know the SuperHawk was the bike for you?