General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Plastic honeycomb material

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Plastic honeycomb material

Mods, feel free to move this if need be.

Like another forum member is currently doing, I'm installing a large air filter into the top of my Superhawk's airbox to gain more post filter volume. However, with all the talk about turbulance, and how our carbs really don't like that, I wanted to fix the problem, by straightening out the airflow before the stacks.

My idea is to install a honeycomb material (about 1" thick or so, with holes about 3/16") above the stacks. My problem is finding this honeycomb material. I'm hoping to find this material in plastic (easy to cut, form, etc.).

McMaster Carr and Aircraft Spruce doesn't have what I need. I've tried a couple companies local to me, but they require me to order a crap load of the stuff, when I just need a little more than a square foot or so.

Anybody know where I can get some of this honeycomb material? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Lowes and Home Depot sells aluminum and black plastic gutter guards. It's very inexpensive and all you would need to do is cut lengths to fit staggering the holes so you can slow down the air flow in the airbox. On a Honda 600F3 street fighter I built I ended up having all kinds of carb problems with the bike falling on its face anywhere near 55mph. I ended up closing off the airbox intake at the front of the airbox and drilled a series of holes in the airbox lid and this worked very well.

Good luck! SIRR1
Old 01-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Thanks SIRR1. I'm not trying to slow down the airflow. I'm hoping to make it less turbulent before entering the carbs.

Lets see if I can post a picture of something I'm looking for...nuts, well, so how about a link instead click here
Old 01-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
As a POC you can buy the boxes of 100+ straws cut them in half or however long you want them to make a cheap combed effect.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

That's actually a cool idea. However, since this is going to live inside my airbox, I don't want any chance of it falling apart and getting sucked into the engine.

I know this stuff is out there, because you can buy it in bulk, but I only need a small amount, not 100+. Just seeing if anybody knows of somewhere online or a hardware store that I might have overlooked? The search continues...
Old 01-11-2014, 06:40 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Stack some of this together

1 x Sheet of Black ABS Plastic Racing grill mesh 120cm x 30cm Hex design | eBay
Old 01-11-2014, 07:16 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Here is another idea for you (one I am considering, given that I am that "other person" looking at mounting the filter material in the lid):

Now leave aside the potatoes, lol But have a look at the "mesh" used to actually slide the potatoes. I have seen a similar mesh used for some fluorescent lights, so I can safely assume it is sold somewhere (ran out of patience to find a proper picture of latter). The best part is the grill is very thin, and will therefore not impede airflow, though it should act to straighten things out......
Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
I recall seeing square eggcrate plastic diffusor panels for in-ceiling florescent lights which might be good in your application.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:29 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RobertLever
I recall seeing square eggcrate plastic diffusor panels for in-ceiling florescent lights which might be good in your application.
Great idea... hey wait, see above post

You can be forgiven if the potatoes threw you off, lol
Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
How close are you planning to mount them to the velocity stacks? If you mount them right on top of the stack I could imagine it impeding air flow, the stacks are bell shaped and get wider at the top to help air "roll" around the edges of the stack. The airflow comes from multiple angles, not just a straight line into the bell.

Ideally what I think you would want is a half sphere shape, made out of the ~1/2" thick squares or honeycomb material, then mount that on the stack so it can still pull air from the outer edges on an angle.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I have done A LOT of demo for comercial jobs and I am familiar with those white plastic grates on the fluorescent lights. That's a good idea, but I just feel that those plastic grates are way too brittle. I don't want any chance of this getting broke and sucked into my engine.

Since this hasn't been done before, there will be some trial and error. I have a few ideas where to put this material to straighten out the airflow before the stacks. One spot is right where the current filter sits in the airbox. Another spot is an inch above each stack. Like I said, there is some trial and error in this. I need spring time in order to test this stuff out. Stupid cold weather here!

Also, since my Veypor gauge has a dyno, I have the means to test the bike each time I change something. It may not be an actuall dyno, but it'll work

mikstr, that metal grid is a cool idea. My local Northern Tool & Equipment has some food processing stuff. They might have what I need. I will hit them up tomorrow and see what's there.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 01-11-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 01-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
That's actually a cool idea. However, since this is going to live inside my airbox, I don't want any chance of it falling apart and getting sucked into the engine.
Could you still use the straw idea and just put a metal perf sheet under it like the OEM air filter has under the element? Just another idea to throw out there.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by KCCO
Could you still use the straw idea and just put a metal perf sheet under it like the OEM air filter has under the element? Just another idea to throw out there.
I thought of that too. But before I give that a shot, I want to figure out a way to straighten out the airflow with very minimal airflow restriction.

Heck, you never know, I could do all this work and find out the bike runs like crap All the fun of modin' stuff.

I never got to Northerrn today, but should have some time tomorrow. I'll let ya guys know what I find!