SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Pizza and beer??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/pizza-beer-20944/)

VTRsurfer 12-08-2009 05:51 PM

For 34 years, up until last January, that is what I did as a Vocational Automotives teacher in a 10 bay shop. Only without the pizza and beer. Well sometimes my mostly adult students would buy pizza on a Friday. But being a visual learner myself, I taught that way. Lecture, demonstration, then hands-on help in the shop. I knew other instructors that never got their hands dirty.

Three days a week my students were in the shop, and I can't possibly count the number of brake jobs, suspension repairs, computer alignments, smog checks, valve adjustments, fuel injection cleaning and carb rebuilds (in the old days). Plus Scanner diagnostics, water pumps, clutches, you name it, we did it.

I got a lot of satisfaction out of helping students, at least the ones that weren't just there to get their car fixed by me. I got wise to that after the first few years.

cornandp has great skills, so have fun and learn.

crackerjackman 12-08-2009 06:34 PM

Thank you. We been chatting and going over some possible scenarios of what could be the problem. I really do again appreciate the help I have gotten from ppl on here. This is my home away from home and i really like it here....

Philip

Mike996 12-08-2009 06:38 PM

For the record, I ate pizza for dinner tonight, and instead of beers, I'm having a screwdriver. I blame this thread.

crackerjackman 12-08-2009 06:49 PM

LOL!!! that alright. The other night I had to many jack and cokes was about to post on here but couldnt even read what i typed let alone didnt want you guys to try and figure it out. That night I hid the keys in the couch. found them the next morning. Could have been worst. i could have put them in the fire place!!!! LOL!!! Man now a drink sounds good. Thanks Mike996. LOL!!!

ttocsmai 12-08-2009 06:52 PM

No beer tonight just because no pizza.

Hot apple cider with cinnamon schnapps! Woohoo

Maybe a Grand Marnier later.

Mike996 12-08-2009 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by crackerjackman (Post 245768)
LOL!!! that alright. The other night I had to many jack and cokes was about to post on here but couldnt even read what i typed let alone didnt want you guys to try and figure it out. That night I hid the keys in the couch. found them the next morning. Could have been worst. i could have put them in the fire place!!!! LOL!!! Man now a drink sounds good. Thanks Mike996. LOL!!!

No worries... I made a thread just for that a little while back. I enjoy posting when i'm drinking too lol

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20399

finepooch 12-08-2009 07:25 PM

pizza and beer is hard to beat. i enjoyed a "pop" tonight.

crackerjackman 12-08-2009 07:37 PM

So I had asked cornandp, if when I reved the bike hard and flames shot out the pipes, if that was bad. He said it means a really rich setting. Any other thoughts. I still have my PAIR hooked up as far as I know.

trying to keep on track here...=)...

VTRsurfer 12-08-2009 07:59 PM

When you rev hard it should and will go rich. What exhaust do you have? Shortened, open cans could cause flames, just like on an NHRA Top Fueler. On cars, PAIR or Air Injection doesn't operate at wide open throttle to prevent backfire. I would assume it's the same for motorcycles.

crackerjackman 12-08-2009 08:03 PM

Im running Erion Racing Cans. Other than that stock exhaust. By that I mean The restrictor plate in the mid pipe is still there.

Little_Horse 12-08-2009 08:05 PM

The flames aren't the whole story though. He has a miss and extremely poor mpg. All in all some inspecting is in order.

VTRsurfer 12-08-2009 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by cornandp (Post 245783)
The flames aren't the whole story though. He has a miss and extremely poor mpg. All in all some inspecting is in order.

Yeah, that sounds like the fuel charge is going through the cylinder without burning, then igniting in the exhaust when the cylinder fires again.

Mike996 12-08-2009 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by cornandp (Post 245783)

Do you know how much I would pay to have you as a neighbor? NOONE I live around knows Jack about sportbikes, let alone superhawks!

VTS 12-08-2009 10:33 PM

You said that the bike sat, where?
I've seen dog, cat, or bird food in airboxes. Making the bike run rich.
How many miles are on this bike? Have you checked your plugs?
Install new plugs, run the bike extensively. Remove plugs and post pics.
It's not the end all but it will give a good idea to what is going on.

As for the Nuhawk slapdown.....:bitchslap:
This website is a resource, most questions can be answered with the search function. That is how you earn the respect he was speaking of.
Also, most people here work their asses off at their jobs and have a family to provide for. You don't have to pull at our heart strings to get us to help your cause.

Look into how much it would cost at a dealer for the repair. Then offer someone half or just less than to show you how to do the work. Well worth it! Let them determine that you are cool and maybe next go around they'll charge even less or not at all. What about offering help with an odd job? Putting up a fence, something.

You purchase a bike and maintence is part of the cost, that's how it works.

These guys are happy to help, so save the sob story.
When you think about it Nuhawk really wasnt that harsh. It was kinda called for.
You said " not trying to be a cheap ass", if you had to say that, then.....

Back to the bike
Backfires can also happen with crap fuel, you said it sat.

Fuel
Aircleaner
Sparkplugs

How do they look?
There is a good chance you will need a carb clean or rejet depending...

Get back to us.
Best regards.

AngryOlaf 12-08-2009 11:07 PM

This website is a resource, most questions can be answered with the search function. That is how you earn the respect he was speaking of.
Just curious... How are you monitoring someone elses forum searches to determine how much respect to deserve?

Sorry if this comes across as me being a smart-ass... I know I too am a newb here, and I have immense respect for what you have accomplished on your bike, and the helpful information you have provided on the forum VTS. I just really don't understand this statement.

lazn 12-08-2009 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by AngryOlaf (Post 245807)
Just curious... How are you monitoring someone elses forum searches to determine how much respect to deserve?

Sorry if this comes across as me being a smart-ass... I know I too am a newb here, and I have immense respect for what you have accomplished on your bike, and the helpful information you have provided on the forum VTS. I just really don't understand this statement.

What he means is that asking a question that is easily answered by searching will lower the respect you get from the regulars..

If however you have honestly searched, and still don't get it.. Ask, and include some links to the threads that you are referencing to get more details about, and that will gain you respect. :D

edit: I bet most the new people don't ever dig into the actual forum and just look at the "new posts page."

AngryOlaf 12-08-2009 11:18 PM

Guess that makes some sense...

A bit bummed that I miss out on massive respect for all those random things I've figured out by reading and not asking questions! :)

"If a tree falls in the woods..." and all that.

VTS 12-08-2009 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 245808)
What he means is that asking a question that is easily answered by searching will lower the respect you get from the regulars..

If however you have honestly searched, and still don't get it.. Ask, and include some links to the threads that you are referencing to get more details about, and that will gain you respect. :D

edit: I bet most the new people don't ever dig into the actual forum and just look at the "new posts page."

Spot on, thanks for saving me the keystrokes Lazn. I built my machine from watching you guys for three years without saying/asking anything on the forum. Search and watch. Jetting and fuel issues, it's there. Electrical, it's there. it's there, it's there, it's there.

If you can't find it, ask how, or who. Just show some effort.
:search::horse::banghead::flamethrower:

I understand some of us are visual learners almost exclusively, most of the "how to" type stuff has pics.

Alot of how you get what you want is in the approach.

VTS 12-08-2009 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by AngryOlaf (Post 245809)
Guess that makes some sense...

A bit bummed that I miss out on massive respect for all those random things I've figured out by reading and not asking questions! :)

"If a tree falls in the woods..." and all that.

Hey Olaf the angry, has anyone here not treated you with massive respect?

I've read a few of your posts... No problems here. Nothing but massive respect. I guess I need an amplifier or maybe I can send you a gold star that says "Massive Respect"

Ohh shoot, I went to far. Just ventured into Anti-Massive Respect AKA Massive Disrespect.

Sorry Olaf that totally was not meant for you.

Keep roll'n :thumbsup:

AngryOlaf 12-08-2009 11:45 PM

LOL - Didn't mean to say I felt disrespected! Everyone on the forums has been very cool to me so far. :D

The bit about massive respect I've missed out on because no one saw me search for answers was an attempt at humor.

Edit: Sorry to further sidetrack your thread Crackerjackman... Hope you find help and get things sorted!

VTS 12-08-2009 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by AngryOlaf (Post 245812)
LOL - Didn't mean to say I felt disrespected! Everyone on the forums has been very cool to me so far. :D

The bit about massive respect I've missed out on because no one saw me search for answers was an attempt at humor.

I'd have to say you nailed it. (the joke)

How do you know that no one saw you search?

Greg is the almighty powerful wizard of hawks. He sends out a "massive respect" report twice weekly. Your name was on it. Didn't you get the memo?

AngryOlaf 12-08-2009 11:58 PM

I ignore the regular reports... I'm just waiting for that big gold star you mentioned! :p

VTS 12-09-2009 12:08 AM

I have to say you guys with the yellow hawks are pretty cool. I have not ran into one yet I did'nt like.:cool:

skoshere 12-09-2009 04:58 AM

we also have to remember with newer people they may not know the termonology of our bikes. Like some, i do 95% of my time reading and very seldom posting.

some may have never heard of CCT, R/R, carb fart, etc. so searching may not be very fulfilling to some.

Little_Horse 12-09-2009 07:39 AM

To every sport there are newbies... and the "old guys" of the sport if you will need to pass on the knowledge. That's how it has worked for ages. If we stop doing that or we blow people off when they ask for help what does that say about us. Sure cracker could have worded his post differently, but so what I understood the message "Please help me, I don't know much but want to learn." Sounds like a student attitude, and that I can teach. All this BS about searching is getting out of hand. He has a viable problem, sure the answer probably is on the forum somewhere but if you don't know anything where do you start. Timing, Fueling, spark plugs, air filters, bad fuel, junk in the carbs, diaphragms, float needles, petcock leaks, PVLIR... and on and on. Anyone of those to someone with out much experience on the matter would be something to look into for the problem he described to me. If you haven't ever done carb work that is pretty intimidating.

AdamK 12-09-2009 07:48 AM

I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS CRACKER!!!! You should have changed the title from Pizza and Beer to Burger and a Shot. Now THAN you would have not had a problem.

Mike996 12-09-2009 08:09 AM

Whats a CCT and can i get one in carbon fiber? :shock:

crackerjackman 12-09-2009 11:12 AM

I want one too!!! How much do those run to replace. My bike has 26,000 on her. About time to replace?

skoshere 12-09-2009 11:23 AM

apes are roughly 52 dollars a peice plus a seal, so roughly 115 or so with shipping from Cali.

crackerjackman 12-09-2009 11:32 AM

Thank you. I appreciate that info.