General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Petcock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Squid

mlshuford is on a distinguished road
Petcock Issues

Hey fellas. I have a question for ya'll. I just bought my superhawk off of a friend 4-5 months ago. About 2 months after I got it I had problems with it cutting out and took it to a shop. They said the diaphram in the petcock was stuck closed and wasn't letting gas through. They said they re-opened it, but it was a temporary fix and needed to be replaced eventually. I was broke and couldn't afford to get it fixed at the time. Anyways, now (a couple months later) I notice that gas is dripping down from under my tank. I took the tank off and sure enough gas is leaking out of the petcock. I assume it's the valve allowing too much through now, but does anyone have any other suggestions. I'm still broke and a cheap fix would be nice. Also, is the opening on the bottom of the petcock that doesn't/hasn't had a hose attached some kind of breather or what is it for?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mlshuford
Hey fellas. I have a question for ya'll. I just bought my superhawk off of a friend 4-5 months ago. About 2 months after I got it I had problems with it cutting out and took it to a shop. They said the diaphram in the petcock was stuck closed and wasn't letting gas through. They said they re-opened it, but it was a temporary fix and needed to be replaced eventually. I was broke and couldn't afford to get it fixed at the time. Anyways, now (a couple months later) I notice that gas is dripping down from under my tank. I took the tank off and sure enough gas is leaking out of the petcock. I assume it's the valve allowing too much through now, but does anyone have any other suggestions. I'm still broke and a cheap fix would be nice. Also, is the opening on the bottom of the petcock that doesn't/hasn't had a hose attached some kind of breather or what is it for?
No cheap fix for you but the bottom nipple is a drain so the petcock doesn't fill up with fuel and it lets you know when the diaphram is bad as fuel leaks when it goes out.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
5841hawk,

I've got a gergaling sound that seems to be coming from my petcock area under the back of my tank. Sounds kinda like it's allowing air into the tank to maybe equilize pressure or something. I first heard it last night after I parked the bike in the garage after an hour ride. The fuel level was low, but not flashing. I'm afraid I may have messed something up in the petcock the other day by inadvertently connecting the vacuum tube to the petcock drain after reinstalling the tank after a tune up and valve check.

Of course, I figured out my mistake when the bike stopped running and wouldn't crank. She runs great otherwise, but whattcha think?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
wouldn't "crank" or wouldn't fire and run? very different things.
nipple on bottom of petcock does NOT get a hose.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Superstock

mlshuford...post in the classified section and look on Ebay for a petcock. I bet there are also MANY wrecked vtrs in wreckers stock that the tank is mashed but the petcock is fine. Google used mc parts and call them.....
Old 12-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

It cranked right up initally till it run outta fuel then wouldn't crank cuz vacuum hose was on drain was firing cuz as soon as I changed it over it cranked right up...new irridum plugs rock with new air filter
Old 12-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

redman, the petcock seems to be working just fine after I moved the vacuum hose over to side of the petcock where it belongs and off the bottom drain port...only I started hearing this gurgling sound after my last ride....
Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Squid

Streaky is on a distinguished road
I am having a similar problem. Where exactly does the vacuum hose attach (not the petcock side)? Does it attach to the carbs somewhere?

hope I'm not hijacking...
Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Superstock

The manual is downloadable...in the "Knowledge Base" section. DL it and study carefully.
Also, ride it until you are sure it will "gurgle". Shut off bike, make sure it'sgurgling and open gas cap door. Does gurgling stop? If so, you have something amiss. Maybe tank vent hose is pinched somewhere. Maybe you have tank vent and overflow hoses backwards. Chek the downloaded manual sections carefully, print the sections out and go down and take the tank off and figure out exactly which hose is which. Some are numbered, some are obvious, some are not. Also, make sure the petcock is NOT dripping!! If it is, you're destined for a charbroiled *** and bike soon. If it's dripping or wet at all....replace it asap.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Thanks Redman!

I downloaded the manual and have everything hooked up right as far as I can tell and my petcock isn't leaking, thank God! It's probably just a pinched vent hose...I really appreciate your help bro...

I rode in to work today and really have the bike hooked up well right now, but will fix that crappy stock fork soon
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Streaky, the vacuum hose connects to the side of the petcock not the bottom cuz that nipple is for the drain and gets no hoses...
Old 12-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Squid

Streaky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Streaky, the vacuum hose connects to the side of the petcock not the bottom cuz that nipple is for the drain and gets no hoses...
Thank you. I scanned the manual a couple times and it was a bit unclear.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Yes, I had the same problem with the manual. However, this forum is the BOMB! If you have questions these guys have the answers...best thing since sliced bread if you as me!