General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

? PENSKE SPORT SHOCK.OHLINS MONTUBE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
? PENSKE SPORT SHOCK.OHLINS MONTUBE?

Hi folks....anyway one have any experience with the above mentioned shocks?.......
Do they come with ride height adjustment?.....can you do it on the bike...or does the shock have to be removed?....is it easy to adjust spring pre-load with the shock on the bike?....likewise rebound...I believe both these shocks are pre-load and rebound adjustable only...no compression....
Thanks all......
I have owned and installed a penske on my sv650 race bike before so have some knowledge of what is envolved.....on that bike you could adjust ride height with the shock on the bike.
I really don't want or need a shock with a remote resevoir as I mostly use my bike for comuting and maybe 4 to 6 trackdays a year.....and I kinda like the idea of a simple rear shock as I tend to get lost in all the adjustments of a 3-way shock.....I know thats being lazy but sometimes simple and basic just works for me...I rather be riding than riding round thinking hmmm is need more of this or more of that....just want to get a good base line setting that will work for me...thanks all.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The shock Öhlins recommends for the VTR has a remote reservoar... They have no others in their sortiment that's recommended or fits the VTR...

It's easy to adjust in any way... http://www.ohlins.se/Motorcycle/Hidd...0/Default.aspx

Dunno anything about Penske
Old 12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Penske shocks are a step down fron Ohlins but still high quality shocks, the reason for the remote res. is to keep it away from the exhaust pipe. Other than that you can go with the emoltion type which is an upgrade over stock but not as good as the others.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-06...spagenameZWD1V

FYI...found this on Ebay for example...
Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a pretty good price, Ohlins wants over $1200.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 AM
MotoGP

That is an absolute steal... That is what it is...
Old 12-12-2007, 01:56 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I think penske is comparable. the ohlins don't have height adjstment available for our bikes, penske does though it certainly isn't easy to do in real time. both are rebuildable and will be a huge upgrade in performance.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Originally Posted by cliby
I think penske is comparable. the ohlins don't have height adjstment available for our bikes, penske does though it certainly isn't easy to do in real time. both are rebuildable and will be a huge upgrade in performance.
I thought ride height adjustment was one of the (many) big reasons to go aftermarket on the shock. The Ohlins doesn't have it?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
you can verify on the ohlins page - all the letters in the model designation state exactly what the shock does - but I believe while you may be able to get remote preload adjustment with the SH version, ride height was not an option. It was one of the reason I went with penske (though honestly the biggest reason was a great used one on ebay). Its not something I have adjusted beyond the initial set up and I think others simply use a shim if they want 5mm on rear ride height - so it wouldn't be a deal breaker if you found a great shock at a great price. Given the choices out there, though, 1K just to have an ohlins seems like a lot of money.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:45 AM
MotoGP

Nope... See my link... It's for the one specified by Öhlins for the VTR...

Damn cgi... try this one... http://www.ohlins.se/desktopmodules/...code=S46HR1C1S