41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Ohlins or Penske

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Ohlins or Penske

What would you buy if both these rear shocks cost the same. The Ohlins H0204 or Penske 8983?
Attached Thumbnails Ohlins or Penske-ohlins-h0204.jpg   Ohlins or Penske-penske-8983.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
correct ohlins?

Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
What would you buy if both these rear shocks cost the same. The Ohlins H0204 or Penske 8983?
Although I don't have the model number handy, the Ohlins that I have as well as other forum members has a remote resevoir that mounts on the left side of the rear subframe as opposed to the one in your thumbnail that is attached to the main body of the shock and therefore I am not sure it will fit-better check that out before buying that Ohlins. Mort
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
pros and cons:

Ohlins: premium piece, remote preload adjuster/ two-way dampin adjustment only, no provision for ride height adjustment

Penske: great product, can be upgraded (to three-way adj), has ride height adjuster...
You can`t go wrong in either case, but neither gives it all to you, unfortunately.....
Old 02-24-2011, 02:20 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Penske for the reasons mikstr cited. Big deals.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Squid

OldGuy is on a distinguished road
I don't know how accurate that part number you listed is regarding the actual shock you are interested in but be aware that part# HO204 is for the RC51 not the Superhawk/Firestorm.

My vote is for the Penske, also for the reasons stated by Mikstr.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
pros and cons:

Ohlins: premium piece, remote preload adjuster/ two-way dampin adjustment only, no provision for ride height adjustment

Penske: great product, can be upgraded (to three-way adj), has ride height adjuster...
You can`t go wrong in either case, but neither gives it all to you, unfortunately.....
I have an Ohlins shock with hydraulic ride height and it can be very useful if you are constantly going from solo to 2 up riding or with gear. It takes less than a minute to change. The ability ride height adjustment via lengthening the shock has some advantages at the track when you want to change your geometry. This can be done with the Ohlins by changing the shim thickness under the shock top mounting bracket. This isn't a big deal either. Adding ride height via the hydraulic actuator effectively does the same as the Penski adjuster however instead of lengthening the shock, it reduces sag. Too much and you then run into issues with not enough sag for bump control i.e. topping out.
Gauge what properties you would prefer to have on your shock, you can't go wrong with either of them. So unless external ride height is a most, go with the cheapest one.
One thing I can say for sure, the ride will be completely transformed for the better especially in the high speed bump control i.e. those sharp edge bumps. If you were to get the Penske with 3 way control, you can adjust for this more than the Ohlins. 3 way compression shocks aren't cheap and you need to spend a lot of time trying different settings at different speeds.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:12 PM
SuperBike

Not tone too picky bit changing ride and and preload are different. While sometimes they can result in kind of a similar result you get many unintended consequences.

Last edited by cliby; 02-24-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cliby
Not tone too picky bit changing ride and and reload are different. While sometimes they can result in kind of a similar result you get many unintended consequences.
You reload while riding?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
You reload while riding?
HA! I fixed it. shooting, riding, and typing all at the same time bound to make some mistakes.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Contrary to popular belief, Penske shocks are a superior product in all ways. Ohlins stuff is not really that great, plus their customer service is the worst.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Contrary to popular belief, Penske shocks are a superior product in all ways. Ohlins stuff is not really that great, plus their customer service is the worst.
I agree with you on that, Jamie. I have heard a fair amount of stories within the motorcycle industry that new Ohlins shocks out-of-the-box can require internal re-valving to work correctly. Out-of-the-box, new Penske shocks are typically spot-on, i.e. install-and-ride.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I agree with you on that, Jamie. I have heard a fair amount of stories within the motorcycle industry that new Ohlins shocks out-of-the-box can require internal re-valving to work correctly. Out-of-the-box, new Penske shocks are typically spot-on, i.e. install-and-ride.
Be careful on that one, only the shocks bought directly from Penske will be valved to your specific application. As a general rule, all aftermarket shocks need revalved to match the rider. Most people don't know this.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I own both (several penskes) and would go with penske for the next purchase. Price being equal get the penske.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Be careful on that one, only the shocks bought directly from Penske will be valved to your specific application. As a general rule, all aftermarket shocks need revalved to match the rider. Most people don't know this.
Same goes for a shock bought directly from Öhlins, it will be valved for your specific weight... So in that respect, I see no difference between them... And as far as customer service, I have only good things to say about Öhlins, never dealt with Penske, so I can't comment on that...
Old 02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Squid

I knew Fox was like that with "one-valving-fits all" - that is why I had Traxxion Dynamics revalve my Twin-Clicker shock specifically for me - and, like I said above, I had heard Ohlins was the same with the "one-valving-fits-all", so, yeah, I guess that makes sense with Penske too. One note: You might not have to order direct from Penske though, I believe when you order a Penske from Traxxion Dynamics they valve it specifically for you. There could be other suspension specilaist companies that offer that service too.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
Same goes for a shock bought directly from Öhlins, it will be valved for your specific weight... So in that respect, I see no difference between them... And as far as customer service, I have only good things to say about Öhlins, never dealt with Penske, so I can't comment on that...
I guess it depends WHO you buy the new shock from. Ordering direct from a suspension manufacturer, I can see you getting a shock that is customized for you. Buying from a mail order house or re-seller such as Parts Unlimited (who supplies dealers) where these companies KEEP INVENTORY I don't see them stocking, say, 4 different-valved-based-on-weight Ohlins shocks for a VTR...typically they will carry one shock for a "median rider" 160 lbs or so..they MAY change the spring to suit the rider's weight but I figure you will still get the "160 lb valving". I know THAT is how Fox worked...they had multiple part numbers for VTR shocks, for example...the shock body you got was the same regardless of part number; they just changed the spring per weight category/part number.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:46 PM
MotoGP

I guess it depends WHO you buy the new shock from. Ordering direct from a suspension manufacturer, I can see you getting a shock that is customized for you. Buying from a mail order house or re-seller such as Parts Unlimited (who supplies dealers) where these companies KEEP INVENTORY I don't see them stocking, say, 4 different-valved-based-on-weight Ohlins shocks for a VTR...typically they will carry one shock for a "median rider" 160 lbs or so..they MAY change the spring to suit the rider's weight but I figure you will still get the "160 lb valving". I know THAT is how Fox worked...they had multiple part numbers for VTR shocks, for example...the shock body you got was the same regardless of part number; they just changed the spring per weight category/part number.
As far as I know, all manufacturers work the same... You get a shock that is valved for the spring that it leaves the factory with... Some manufacturers use the same valving for a lot of different springs as well, some don't... AFAIK Penske have 2-3 different valvings for the span of springs, so does Öhlins...

I know for a fact that most of Öhlins shocks are manufactured with 2 or 3 different valvings, that in theory should match a specified span of springs/weights... Mostly because the shock matched with different end pieces and springs can be fitted to more than one bike, so they already make them with more than one valving... And apart from that, if you buy directly from them or a certified service center, you get a custom valved one to your weight at no extra cost...

Online or whatever will be another thing entirely though... That way I'd say it's likely they will only have one "standard" offering in stock... Nothing odd with that...
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention that I have an RC51 SP2 swingarm on the VTR.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
I forgot to mention that I have an RC51 SP2 swingarm on the VTR.
Then you need the shock to either be height adjustable or you need to make the mounts adjustable...
Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 PM
MotoGP

BTW that particular Öhlins won't work... It has a fixed gas canister that will interfere with the mounting on a VTR... Plus, you might not like the forked mounts? That depends on how you build the linkage...
Old 02-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
I agree with Beallosse!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ascothawk
I agree with Beallosse!
Me too... His post is just spamtastic!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:16 PM
SuperBike

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:07 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
About 8 or 9 years ago, I ordered a Penske shock for my VTR after I had wasted about 6 weeks waiting for an Ohlins from Steen Hansen, the Canadian distributor. I got the Penske within two weeks of it being ordered. It's been great. The last fluid change and re-pressurization cost $33 CDN. No parts have needed to be replaced and the shock hasn't leaked. While it doesn't have the remote hydraulic preload adjuster that the Ohlins has, preload is not hard to adjust and, if I'm going to be carrying a passenger, I've found that increasing low speed compression to the stiffest setting is sufficient.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Penske...I bought mine used and leaking and rebuilt it for about $20.00 and it rocks!
Attached Thumbnails Ohlins or Penske-penske-rear-shock3.jpg