General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Opinions requested

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Opinions requested

There's a guy near me that is selling his zzr1200 and I think I'm going to go take a look at it. My thought is that the zzr might be more comfortable for me than my hawk. About 2 hours on the SH is about all I can take.
I would really like an st1300, but I can't afford it. I figure if I like the zzr, I can sell my almost showroom new hawk pretty easily and get the zzr. I know it's a big pig compared to the hawk in the handling department, but I'm sure it still is capable enough for me. I'm not a knee dragger by any means. That stuff is pretty much for the track.
Anyway, I'd like to know if any of you fine folks here have any experience with the zzr1200? My main concerns are rider and passenger comfort and overall capability. I've read a bunch of reviews online, and it seems like a nice bike, but I haven't been able to find and direct comparisons to the SH.
Any opinions are welcome here, like "I think you're nuts," etc. Tell me what you think.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:57 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Pretty comfy bike. Still pretty leaned over though.
In all honesty, there is no comparison between the hawk and the zzr. One is an I4, the other a V-Twin. One has around 100 hp....the other...around 160. The zzr is a very fun bike....but it's a completely different bike compared to the hawk.

...how long have you been riding?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Squid

3 years now. I know the zzr has a lot more power, but that's not what attracted my attention. It's the larger size. Me and my wife can't really take any real long rides on the hawk. It looks like the zzr has a decent size seat.
If that zzr is as serious of a sporting seating posture as the hawk, I'll take a pass on it. But I haven't seen it in person yet.
Have you ridden a zzr?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Kommonsuki.

Get a VFR. Amazing bike. I have hardly ridden the SH since I got mine. Fun, comfy, and all around awesome. All day rides are no problem, a thirty minute back road assault is a blast too. Broad power delivery V-4, fuel injected. Not a cookie cutter, yeah I got one too bike.

ITS A HONDA
Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the VFR...I'd get one too if they'd bore out those jugs a little and double the torque
Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Haven't ridden a zzr, did have some past experience with a zx11, and also more recently owned a zx12. I don't think you're going to be dissappointed with the zzr, especially for what you sound like you want it for. I'm sure it's very comfy and is pretty much a freight train in the power department. Completely different bike in most every respect from a superhawk.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 59burst
3 years now. I know the zzr has a lot more power, but that's not what attracted my attention. It's the larger size. Me and my wife can't really take any real long rides on the hawk. It looks like the zzr has a decent size seat.
If that zzr is as serious of a sporting seating posture as the hawk, I'll take a pass on it. But I haven't seen it in person yet.
Have you ridden a zzr?
Yeah...I've ridden one. The seating posture is wayyyy better than the SH...but it is still sporty. It's a lot like a Busa.....pretty comfy, if you wanna go fast you can hunker down, or if you wanna cruise you can straighten up. The power is crazy...especially when you have it geared as low as the one I rode...You could be going 70ish and start a rolling burnout
Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I've never ridden a ZZR, but I've always thought it seemed like a cool bike. A split between the heavier sport tourers (ST and FJR) and the GTs (like the XX and Busa). It weighs less than the FJR, 100+ pounds less than the ST, and makes gobs more power than either. The ergos- seat to bars and seat to pegs, are exactly the same as the VFR, except the bars are slightly higher. if most of my riding was 2 up, I'd take the ZZR over the VFR. The VFR is a great bike, but weak in the low and mid range for two up touring. The ZZR makes big power everywhere.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:59 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Kommonsuki.

Get a VFR. Amazing bike. I have hardly ridden the SH since I got mine. Fun, comfy, and all around awesome. All day rides are no problem, a thirty minute back road assault is a blast too. Broad power delivery V-4, fuel injected. Not a cookie cutter, yeah I got one too bike.

ITS A HONDA
I'll agree w/ that!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:58 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I consider the zx line, busa's, 1100XX etc. more as ST bikes (sport-touring) and traditional models like the concours, ST1300, FJR, etc more as GT bikes (grand touring) which goes against the normal terminology/mindset.

Purely my opinion: the zzr12 is the ugliest styled kawi made. There I said. I feel better now. The new 14 isn't much better either.

On the VFR suggestion: with a good seat, it is comfy for two with plenty of power (same hp as the VTR but less torque). Newer models have matching hard bags available. Higher bars avail. too. The V4 is kinda like two baby VTR motors put together.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:19 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
at least go ride the 1000 vstrom. ugly, but a nice vtwin motor, very very comfortable, very good passenger seat. I do not think the ZZR is going to get you much except a LOT more power, which doesn't seem what you are after. and even the VFR is only marginally more comfortable and still sits your passenger up sportbike high. For an all around bike, including trips and riding fast, with a similar power source, the vstrom is a great bike - and they don't sell well, so available also cheaply. I guess another option is to go into canada, I thought I heard the varadero is now available there!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Squid

Thanks for all the input so far. You guys are great. I appreciate the suggestions on the other models as well. Right now, there are no vfr's or vstroms for sale in my area. Well, I take that back. There is an older vfr, but it's got over 30k on it, and I'm just not interested in it. This zzr is an 03 with 2500 miles, and the guy wants 5 grand even for it. And it has 2500 miles on it. I thought that sounded like a decent deal. And I figure I could get at least that much for my stock 05 hawk with 1500 miles on it.
That's really the only reason this zzr thing came up.
I agree, she's probably not the prettiest girl at the dance, but she caught my attention nonetheless.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:21 AM
RK1
MotoGP

That bike sold for $10k or more new. Getting one barely broken in for half price is a hell of a deal. So what if it looks like a UFO from a 1950s movie? Spend more time riding it than looking at and you'll be fine.

I actually think it looks cool in its own way.

Last edited by RK1; 04-26-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:07 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superbling
I consider the zx line, busa's, 1100XX etc. more as ST bikes (sport-touring) and traditional models like the concours, ST1300, FJR, etc more as GT bikes (grand touring) which goes against the normal terminology/mindset.

Purely my opinion: the zzr12 is the ugliest styled kawi made. There I said. I feel better now. The new 14 isn't much better either.

On the VFR suggestion: with a good seat, it is comfy for two with plenty of power (same hp as the VTR but less torque). Newer models have matching hard bags available. Higher bars avail. too. The V4 is kinda like two baby VTR motors put together.

superbling;

You're right about the ST/GT language usage thing, but it's too late to correct it. here's a picture of Ford's "grand touring" car. Right. Gather up the wife, the kids, the dog, the folding picnic table etc. and lets go "touring" in the Ford GT!

Being a single guy who likes to travel light, I'm perfectly willing to tour in that car as soon as somebody gives me one (along with a prepaid gas card), but heh, that's just me.
Attached Thumbnails Opinions requested-r_west.jpg  

Last edited by RK1; 04-26-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Squid

jaeger is on a distinguished road
Check out a Triumph Sprint ST. I had one for about a year and that is one comfy yet light handling bike. Plus the triple is a little closer to te power feel of a hawk.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Squid

I'm going to take a look it the ZZR this afternoon. We'll see what it looks like in person.
I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 PM
SuperSport

Make sure the fairing is straight and in good shape. I've found a lot of the zzr's have fairing problems with being crooked and not lining up correctly. I hope everything goes over well though and you like what you see.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Squid

Laynout is on a distinguished road
Try a '01-current Yamaha FZ-1. Year after year it wins naked bike of the year. It wins for a reason. Great styling, comfortable ergonomics, 140hp, great handling, it just flat out does it all.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Squid

No FZ-1's for sale around here. And I would prefer a fairing. But the FZ-1 is nice.

Well I checked it out today. It's real nice. I thnk I may need to sell the hawk. It seemed like it would be a lot more comfortable than the hawk. The bars are much closer. And they feel a little higher.

The price seems OK. He paid 9 for it in 2004. And pretty much never rode it since there's only 2400 miles on it.

So, after I talk to my wife, you guys will probably see the hawk in the classifieds.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
SuperSport

Well congrats and I hope everything goes over smoothly for you.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:07 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling

LOL I guess you haven't seen the new zx10 yet. That has to be one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen! The last two models looks cool and I know it's money underneath but GEEZ it's fugly.