General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ooops - errm, lost my keys..

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Ooops - errm, lost my keys..

So while I was out on my VTR today, I stopped by to test ride a Can Am Spyder. When I got back to the Dealer...no keys for my VTR. What a dork. Must have dropped on the road when I was riding. Bike is now sat taking refuge at the Can Am Dealership!

Got a car ride home...I assume if I call my local Honda Mcycle Dealer tomorrow and quote them my VIN, they will have a key cut...correct?

BTW the Spyder? Errm, not for me. Like a whippet on crack, flippin nervous as hell. Not my bag to ride - but love the looks...
Old 05-16-2010, 05:58 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Maybe, I don't know if they can do that yet. Better call first.

When I needed a key for an old Honda a few years ago I had to pull the ignition switch and get the key code off the bottom.

Don't forget to bring the registration. Maybe have them make TWO keys?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Back Marker

You're right - two keys minimum! When I got the bike the previous owner only had one key...for the last 7 months I've been saying 'must get a key'....my fault - just lazy - now paying the price...
Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
i'ma get one made soon dont want this to happen to me
Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Serves you right for riding one of those contraptions.

If the dealer can't do it from the VIN, take out the seat lock and take it to a locksmith.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
The seat lock won't cut it as it only uses part of the key to open the lock, 4 out of 6 or 7 wafers. You'll need to remove the ignition and take it to a lock smith, they will use the key code on it to cut you a new key. Luckily for us, Honda's are the easiest to make new keys for.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:25 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Cutting keys from the VIN# won't work. There is not a reference # for the key code within the VIN#. Sometimes the dealer, if they do the paperwork properly, will note the key code at the top of the PDI(pre delivery inspection) sheet. You should have one if you have all the paperwork when you bought the bike new or the previous owner gave it all to you. If you don't have the key code you can remove the ignition switch and look for the code on the body OR you can call a reputable locksmith and get one cut for about $75.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

RequestTheOverhead is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
You'll need to remove the ignition and take it to a lock smith, they will use the key code on it to cut you a new key. Luckily for us, Honda's are the easiest to make new keys for.
Same thing happened to me and this is what I did. Just remove the top of the triple tree so you can get at the whole ignition cylinder. Then you'll have to use a hex tool to remove it. The key code is hidden on the side of the cylinder. Any good lock smith will have access to the code to cut the key. If you have to have a "honda" key (like me), buy a blank one from the stealership ($10!) and the locksmith should be able to cut it. Then make sure you have some extras made with generic key blanks!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
In the category of 'learning from the lesson that someone else paid to tuition for', I think I'll zip tie my spare key to an obscure spot on the frame.

That's a "thank you" !
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Chances are high that the dealer will not have a blank key for your bike, especially since it's out of production. Secondly, many of the dealers around here don't cut keys either.

When I had the problem with an old Suzuki, I took it to a locksmith to get a new one made. Prepare to pay some labor costs, because I think they have to get to the bottom of the lock housing, as mentioned above.

let us know how you make out with the problem though!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
It cost's me $35 to get a Honda key made...
Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Squid

Gilson is on a distinguished road
This is exactly what you have to do. If the steering lock is on, then you have to use a hacksaw to cut it. Not too difficult but it's then broken for good. You can not force the Top tree off with the lock on. It's a royal PITA though. The other PITA is that the ignition is held on with rounded bolts. You have to hold the head stock in a vice and **** it with a screw driver to turn the nuts.

You can then buy a pattern lock and key for about 35GBP here in the UK, so that probably translates to about 10USDs, as most things are cheaper over there.:-)

If you can get a clever locksmith do it, but I think you'll be doing the above...

Good luck!

Originally Posted by RequestTheOverhead
Same thing happened to me and this is what I did. Just remove the top of the triple tree so you can get at the whole ignition cylinder. Then you'll have to use a hex tool to remove it. The key code is hidden on the side of the cylinder. Any good lock smith will have access to the code to cut the key. If you have to have a "honda" key (like me), buy a blank one from the stealership ($10!) and the locksmith should be able to cut it. Then make sure you have some extras made with generic key blanks!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gilson
This is exactly what you have to do. If the steering lock is on, then you have to use a hacksaw to cut it. Not too difficult but it's then broken for good. You can not force the Top tree off with the lock on. It's a royal PITA though. The other PITA is that the ignition is held on with rounded bolts. You have to hold the head stock in a vice and **** it with a screw driver to turn the nuts.

You can then buy a pattern lock and key for about 35GBP here in the UK, so that probably translates to about 10USDs, as most things are cheaper over there.:-)

If you can get a clever locksmith do it, but I think you'll be doing the above...

Good luck!
Well, no... No hacksaw required... You can fairly easy get the lock off without damage... Not something a thief would do on the side of the road through... Either you have normal bolts at the lock... Then just unbolt it and done...

Or you have shear bolts/tamperproof bolts to make unbolting hard... Then remove the front wheel, slip the forks down and unbolt the steering stem... Flip the top triple up-back and the lock comes free from the column... Not too difficult, but inconvinient to say the least...

I prefer a spare key, but that's just me... I wouldn't let more than a day or two go by when I lost my key before a new spare was cut... If I manage to loose one, loosing the second isn't much harder... Fixing it is though...
Old 05-17-2010, 01:37 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
It cost's me $35 to get a Honda key made...
That sounds about right. Eight or so years ago it cost me $26. And BTW, the bike was already about 20 years out of production. Dealer had the blank and cut the key while I watched.

One other piece of advice... if you have to pull the ignition switch (what Honda calls the "lock set") anyway, bring it to the dealer and make sure the key works before you leave.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Squid

mtnmoose
Originally Posted by CANADAVTR
You're right - two keys minimum! When I got the bike the previous owner only had one key...for the last 7 months I've been saying 'must get a key'....my fault - just lazy - now paying the price...
I did the exact same thing except for almost 2 years. Fortunately, the SH was home. Called two dealerships, one said they had it but was a different story when I went in to the parts counter. They both said they couldn't get them anymore. I pulled the top triple and took it to a locksmith. $25 for two keys.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
Just run across this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-O...item4148e5ff6c
I´ll give it a try.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Back Marker

GUYS - THE KEYS HAVE BEEN FOUND - READ ON!
What a flippin story...
So this morning, I call the Honda Dealer....bascially quoted $700 to sort the key issue. I was sick to the core. Came home at lunchtime to once again, irrationally, search my pockets in my leathers. My cell phone rings;
"Hey John, how much for a set of Honda Keys?". The Can Am Dealer Principal had been driving his Hyster front loader away from his Dealership (this is Canada Country - even the owner of the Dealership drives a front loader home for lunch), and coz he had to drive on the gravel shoulder, found my keys in the gravel, half a mile from the Dealership! Thank the Lord!
Tonight, I got a ride to the Can Am Dealer, handed over a 24 pack of Coors light and rode my baby home. Yaaayyyyy!

Bloody hell, close call. Message to all...get a spare key NOW!

Thank you to all for your very good advice..you're a good bunch.

John