General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ohilins - any alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
Ohilins - any alternatives?

Ohlins raised their prices, citing the weak dollar. Is there an alternative that's as good? - preferably American made. And is RaceTech the best bet up front?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Superstock

cdyer77
Penske & Racetech
Old 05-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Squid

v2weapon
Re: Ohilins - any alternatives?

Chris is right. My personal choice is Penske. I used to buy Ohlins exclusively until I put a Penske on a Buell I owned...now I'll buy nothing else. And Penske's customer service and rebuild services are absolutely top notch. Adam
Old 05-27-2005, 10:00 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
But, of course, nothing reasonably affordable to accomplish this fairly simple job.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:47 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Unless you don't mind experimenting.

I got a used penske for a 929 which required a longer upper mount. This cbr spring rate is about the closest one to a VTR in the honda lineup. My particular shock came sprung for a heavier cbr pilot (210+) which made is just right for me (160).
Old 05-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Back Marker

bluesman

I can highly recommend Technoflex (originally Dutch) or Wilbers (German made) in version with separate adjustment for high-speed and low-speed compression (meaning high and low speed of shock rod, not bike obviously )
Totally impressed, and I used to always put Ohlins on all my bikes as "default" first thing when bike left shop...
I got unbelievably nice compromise between race and road setup because of these 2 adjustments is separate, not talking preload and rebound with 22 clicks!
But it started to make real sense only with Hyperpro springs in front. Still, Wilbersh shock in even without playing with it, just pre-set by factory for my weight state raised tail of a bike and made it turn quickly.
It did cost me 615 Euro and came with lifetime warranty from Wilbers.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Back Marker

icebud

This is a coincidence, I've just ordered my new Wilbers rear shock recently.

I've choose Wilbers because of three things:

1- Ohlins are way too much expensive...

2- Wilbers carry a five year warranty ( only European riders get the lifetime warranty from Wilbers, in North America it's "only" five year). And all the service and maintenance will be done at the Wilbers USA shop in NJ which is more close to my home ( Montreal ) than any Penske dealers.

3- The value for the money, for almost the same price of the Penske 8981 two way, I've got a Wilbers 641 model with a three way adjust: 22 click rebound damping, low AND high speed compresion also 22 click each and of course it's also height adjustable +/- 1/2".

So, I'm guessing that I will have a better shock for my money for the present and for the future if I decide to resell it, I will also have a better value like it's a "race capable" shock.

Oh! and also, it's a real pleasure to do business with Klaus Huenecke from Wilbers USA and that count too! Until now, I recommend him to anybody who have close to 900$ CDN to spend on a shock!!

Now, I count the day left before I got it ( 3-4 weeks, because all Wilbers shock are customs build to the customers needs ) I know, I know, this is long and expensive but I'm pretty sure it will worth the waiting and every penny.

That will also make the waiting for my CBR1000RR front end swap less painful.

I will keep you in touch as soon as I got it.

Cheers