General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Increasing fuel capacity - alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Increasing fuel capacity - alternatives?

Looking for input - I, like many others, want more range out of my Firestorm (or Superhawk for those of you with such ).

I'm not interested in spending over $1000 for a different tank that doesn't even come with a fuel cap. I'm not interested in swapping a VFR tank and doing whatever else it takes.

What about plumbing in some small fuel canisters? Has anyone done anything like this? Perhaps something along the lines of; keeping at the same level as the stock tank, plumbing into the lines after the petcock, keeping some type of ventilation/overfill system, etc. Some type of low-hassle, not-too-dorky-looking (think Law Enforcement) system would be nice.

Anyone?

PATIA!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
Flux capacitor?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:18 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
You could plumb in additional fuel cannisters, but with the VTR not having a fuel pump, they'd have to be mounted higher than the carbs. Don't see where you could mount them except externally aka "dorky looking". And you'd probably need an additional fill cap in order to fill them unless they were both higher than the carbs and lower than the main tank petcock, which would be difficult if not impossible.

The only time I miss having a larger fuel tank is when I'm traveling in remote areas where fuel stations are few. In that case I bungee extra gas containers and a funnel on the rear of the seat.

Last edited by RK1; 08-05-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Scoutpilot
Flux capacitor?
Great Scott! How could I have missed that!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
You could plumb in additional fuel cannisters, but with the VTR not having a fuel pump, they'd have to be mounted higher than the carbs. Don't see where you could mount them except externally aka "dorky looking". And you'd probably need an additional fill cap in order to fill them unless they were both higher than the carbs and lower than the main tank petcock, which would be difficult if not impossible.

The only time I miss having a larger fuel tank is when I'm traveling in remote areas where fuel stations are few. In that case I bungee extra gas containers and a funnel on the rear of the seat.
I don't see how that's a problem. If you have a vent (or something that you can open/seal) then gravity and pressure should do the rest. (it's late, so I may not have explained that well)

I may just go with using some small containers instead (MSR stove canisters has been mentioned), but this would be a slick set up.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Slim
I don't see how that's a problem. If you have a vent (or something that you can open/seal) then gravity and pressure should do the rest. (it's late, so I may not have explained that well)

I may just go with using some small containers instead (MSR stove canisters has been mentioned), but this would be a slick set up.

Slim;

If your extra fuel cannister is mounted lower than the carb fuel inlet, I don't see how gravity is going to help you get the fuel to the carbs. And when the main fuel tank is empty, what would be the source of any pressure to push it up there?

You could address that by mounting the extra supply higher than the main tank petcock, but then you'd need a separate filler cap to fill the extra container, yes?

Last edited by RK1; 08-06-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 AM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Simplest way I've found to save fuel is put the wife on the back. Whenever we get above 70 she starts nagging. Strangely enough going below a buck save fuel. With her on back I average 42. By my self...somewhat less.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
I've got it.... You could strap an extra gas can to your back. It would be higher than your carbs. Then you could get extra range.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:17 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
if i carry extra fuel i do it in 3 MSR containers in a tank bag that i put on the rear seat ... it's almost a gallon so it will get me another 30 miles.

tim
Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by timdske
I've got it.... You could strap an extra gas can to your back. It would be higher than your carbs. Then you could get extra range.

I've actually seen this done with a very small keg and line running under the seat. It works but looks pretty funky. There must be a way to fit a one gallon tank under the seat, high up, where the tool box goes and run a line to the petcock.

Last edited by Moto Man; 08-06-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:54 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Two options:

Buy another bike with a bigger tank or stop and buy fuel.

I guess it really depends on your ride lengths without planning to stop. Here in the TN mountains 100 miles of twisties is enough before stopping for fuel. I would gues somewhere that is nearly flat land and longer rides a longer fuel range would be preferred.

I see no problem in our rides and road terrain with the current capacity.

Last edited by Thumper; 08-06-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
what about say a tank bag with like a collapsable fuel cell in it.. kinda like a camel back hell even a few camelback plumb them in with some hose add a small on off switch, camelback already has chemical resistant bladders line insulators quick disconects. If you put these in a small tank bag you wont look like an idiot and you solve the gas over the carb problem not to mention its removable
Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
I could sell you mine with all the CF goodies (including the huge tank) and you could transfer the parts to your bike and sell the leftover bike. You'd probably end up losing less than buying the tank by itself.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 PM
AFL
Squid

AFL is on a distinguished road
Have a look at Acerbis I had an XR650 and ran long range tanks on it, main tank and under seat tank. There maybe something that would suit to fit under the VTR seat.

A
Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Buy the tank off a VTR wreck. Cut the top off. Shape and weld in a fillet all round (the one I've done had to have the top cut off anyway to fix the crumpling). Expanded by 5.6 litres or 1 1/2 US gallons, still looks like a standard tank. It's at the painters now.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Back Marker

RK1 - yes, agreed. I just wasn't wearing my thinking cap - it was on the bedpost. The only way to get what I was thinking to work is to have a line running from a separate container, with it's own fill port and with it's own open/close switch on it's feed line to the main tank (open only once the main tank is low).

The CamelBak type idea here is intriguing. I like the MSR canister suggestion, too, (that's come up before - great minds think alike ). With this in mind .....

"Rough draft"

- container to hold gasoline above the main tank
- container is filled on it's own, separate of the main tank
- dual feed lines, each with an open/close
- feed lines are spliced into carb feed lines, right after the petcock

So my thinking here is that this type of system would work as a "re-fill" of sorts. When the main tank gets close to empty, you open the secondary container's feed lines and that fuel then flows into the main tank ..... right? I obviously wouldn't want to open the secondary container's lines until the main tank is near empty, otherwise i'd flood it (the main tank).

Am I on the right track?

PATIA!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
My Long Range VTR

I can do an easy 330 miles before reserve with this setup...
Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 PM
SuperBike

My Long Range VTR

Originally Posted by skokievtr
forgot pics
Attached Thumbnails Increasing fuel capacity - alternatives?-long-range-vtr-c.jpg   Increasing fuel capacity - alternatives?-long-range-vtr-2-c.jpg   Increasing fuel capacity - alternatives?-vtr-big-tank-after-end-vw.jpg   Increasing fuel capacity - alternatives?-vtr-big-tank-after-top-vw.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Squid

ridingrules is on a distinguished road
forgot pics
sweet! It even doubles as an (explosive) armored back protector!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:52 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
use an actual plastic fuel bladder used in hobby class, gas powered, RC planes. use silicone tubing with a quick disconnect and a on/off valve. store the bladder in a camelbak brand back pack. splice it into the fuel line just before the fuel petcock. and stay the F away from any flames.

pretty much what the Marine said, just using the RC bladders instead.

that would be a bad a$$ set up.

the tank being worn like a backpack is beyond ridiculous, just a few bandannas away from being a teenage mutant ninja turtle.

Last edited by j shizzy wizzy; 08-16-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
hey slim, if the extra fuel bladder has a shut off valve, the the tank should have a valve plumbed into it too. then when the extra fuel bladder is being used it won't back up into an already full tank. having 2 valves will make the diff. fuel supply's to the engine independent. the tank has to vent because it is solid, but a fuel bladder just shrinks as the fuel is used. think of an IV when your in the hospital, its gravity fed just the same.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:39 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Why not just do the tail bag with as much fuel as you think you'll need...and if you run close to out B4 a fuel station...stop and fill the tank?

Me, I just annoy my riding buddies by stopping every 90 miles...
Attached Thumbnails Increasing fuel capacity - alternatives?-dennysride4-08.jpg  
Old 08-16-2008, 09:09 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Fuel Tank backpack

What a great idea to use another Superhawk tank as a backpack.
It looks great and doubles your capacity.
What did you use for a fuel valve ? Doesn't the stock one dig into your lower back ?
How about the fuel sloshing around as the tank drains ?
How did you connect the two tanks ? Quick disconnect T ?
So many questions..................

Kai Ju
Old 08-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Speedbump
Squid

Norcalblake is on a distinguished road
Im with ya slim.. october im going on a ride up thru idaho and surrounding country and my dad has informed me that there are streches of 105 miles where there is only one gas station and it ends up being closed alot... now i know this is touring miles and i know ill make it but it gonna be pushing it close and it just makes me uneasy... especially the open country cuz it not like ill be doing 75
Old 08-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Speedbump
Squid

Norcalblake is on a distinguished road
Im with ya slim.. october im going on a ride up thru idaho and surrounding country and my dad has informed me that there are streches of 105 miles where there is only one gas station and it ends up being closed alot... now i know this is touring miles and i know ill make it but it gonna be pushing it close and it just makes me uneasy... especially the open country cuz it not like ill be doing 75
Old 08-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
Why not just do the tail bag with as much fuel as you think you'll need...and if you run close to out B4 a fuel station...stop and fill the tank?

Me, I just annoy my riding buddies by stopping every 90 miles...
BUWUWHHWHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!!!!

(deep breath)

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

That demotivational poster is AWESOME!

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAA!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kai ju

What a great idea to use another Superhawk tank as a backpack.
It looks great and doubles your capacity.
What did you use for a fuel valve ? Doesn't the stock one dig into your lower back ?
How about the fuel sloshing around as the tank drains ?
How did you connect the two tanks ? Quick disconnect T ?
So many questions..................

Kai Ju
You are pulling my leg, aren't you? I was actually taking the tank I picked up on ebay over to a bud's where we cut off the top, added a filler band and welded it up to add another gallon+. The accompaning pics show my painted "extended range" or "big" tank. No Honda name or logo under the clear coat; so without the OE sticker on the fairing, the only giveaway is looking at the VIN tag or side cases to know what it is. Takes me minutes to swap, as the big tank has its own fuel level sender, petcock & gas cap...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
I was actually taking the tank I picked up on ebay over to a bud's where we cut off the top, added a filler band and welded it up to add another gallon+. The accompaning pics show my painted "extended range" or "big" tank. No Honda name or logo under the clear coat; so without the OE sticker on the fairing, the only giveaway is looking at the VIN tag or side cases to know what it is. Takes me minutes to swap, as the big tank has its own fuel level sender, petcock & gas cap...

Yeah: Ed Zachary. Mine ended up much the same. You've saved me having to post a pic.