General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

O.K. , could ya help ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:53 AM
Squid

L-man is on a distinguished road
O.K. , could ya help ?

I'm really starting to like my s/h. But I would like some help with the set up .
I'm 6'3" ~ 240 lbs. . Not the best mechanic .........but I've seen several post that say adjusting the ride is important !
Any help from the ol timers is greatly appriciated !
L-man out
Old 11-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
This write-up is pretty thorough.

http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/mo...ion_set-up.htm
Old 11-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
It all depends on what you like. You need to look at posts on setup. The easest thing to do is set the sag and then turn the dampening adjustments till you like how the bike feels. Mostly trial and error. The bike comes with crapy suspension parts so if you want to dial it in to your weight you will have to replace the shock and rebuild the forks. You could spend around $1,200.00 if you do it yourself. Well worth it if you like the bike.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:29 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
The shock may have enough pre-load adjustment range for your weight but the forks won't.

Go to: http://www.racetech.com/evalving/menu/searchstreet.asp

After looking up the vtr, you'll see the stock springs are .585 rate. Click on the red "custom spring calculator" link and enter your data. It specifies a rate nearly DOUBLE that of the weak stockers!

A lot of folks are perfectly happy with installing new springs and fresh fluid themselves. Or you can go whole hog and get the gold valves, bushings, seals, fluid, etc installed by them.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Squid

L-man is on a distinguished road
thanks , a lot of info

Thanks guys , hummmmmmm X-mas is not that far off , hehehe
L-man out
Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I'm about the same weight and height as you. I can tell you exactly what you need and where to go.

Toss the stock springs. Get some Ohlins 1.05kg/mm or Racetech 1.0kg/mm springs. Dump the stock oil. Revalve the compression stack using 3 port high flow Showa valves and Silkolene 10wt oil. Drill a 1mm bleed in the compression valve. Reshim the stock rebound valve with slightly thicker shims to get more rebound. Also polish the male sliders.

I have the valves and shims but don't have the springs, but getting them is no problem. I can do this job for $275 + shipping or you can try your luck with Lindemann, GMD Computrack, Traxxion Dynamics, Racetech, or GP Suspension. Any of them are good.

If you want new fork seals and dust seals it's $40 more. Anything over 25000 miles and I'd recommend them.