General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

not starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Squid

crow is on a distinguished road
not starting

hoping some one can help with starting issues my 99 vtr1000 cranks super slow ive put in brand new batt and a new r/r and i still have the problem any ideas
Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
You have any other info? Where are you located? Did it do this suddenly or after it's been sitting? Have you checked your electrical connections for corrosion?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Squid

sorry live in napa ca my superhawk has 30000 miles on it a month ago i got the wonderful smell of rottin eggs at a stop light after some checking with a meter i determined that my r/r was chargeing the bat at 19.02 so bought new bat and r/r now bike turns over really slow or the starter relay just clicks batt has 12.3 and no fuses are blown ive been reading all the threads and have been checking all my plugs and connections but i dont know where to go from here
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Ground

Originally Posted by crow
sorry live in napa ca my superhawk has 30000 miles on it a month ago i got the wonderful smell of rottin eggs at a stop light after some checking with a meter i determined that my r/r was chargeing the bat at 19.02 so bought new bat and r/r now bike turns over really slow or the starter relay just clicks batt has 12.3 and no fuses are blown ive been reading all the threads and have been checking all my plugs and connections but i dont know where to go from here
Sounds like a poor battery ground. Span an ohm meter on the 1x scale from the center of the battery terminal to the frame and if it reads more than .2ohms then there's a bad ground. Do the easy stuff first.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Did you check the starter relay and main fuse?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to ask and I don't mean to insult but did you fully charge your new battery?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Squid

ground test=0.0 to0.1
no reading for the starter test dont know if im doing that right
relay clicks like honda book says and the fuse is not blown
and no offense taken yes i fully trickle charged the batt
Old 02-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Squid

trying to describe prob better bear with me when cranking it sounds like a hydrilic lock up ive pulled plugs and checked no fluid in the cylinders it still cranks the same with the plugs out no oil in water and no water in oil comp test shows 158 front and 157 rear and there has never been sounds of bad bearing or smackin valves
Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
12.3 vdc isn't enough.

Jump from a car battery (car engine MUST NOT be running) and see how nice and fast the bike spins over.

Had the same symptom, the new battery was bad. Go have it load tested and see what you get.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Had the same issue with my hawk. New battery lasted 3 days then would turn over until a cylinder just about reached TDC then would quit. I would have to let it sit for about 1 minute, let the compression relive from that cylinder then it would have enough momentom to fire up. Batt read 12.5VDC took it into Autozone and failed on the CCA side when load tested.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Squid

pulled starter checked good
tryed pushrods idea car batt no prob took my new bat back got new one starts fine
now runs rougher than **** and is charging at 16.04 r/r bad again? i just got it !!! what is all the talk on here about using r1 or gsxr r/r's
Old 02-17-2012, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You may have toasted another one while dabbling with the other issues.

As others have said, make sure all your ground connections are clean.

There is an important connection in the wire harness right below the rear of the gas tank/front the seat. Mine melted down and took everything with it.

Luck was the stator was unfazed but the RR had to be replaced. If this connector is bad on your bike you have to remove all the connectors and hard wire (soldier) & shrink wrap the repair. If you cut out the connectors the wires are not long enough for new connectors to span the frame.

It's a water resistant repair but prob not water-proof. I've had no prob with mine. This is one of those mindless Honda designs that puts a major wiring harness connection in the DIRECT line of where the water goes when your riding in the wet. The rain hits your chest and runs down through your crotch.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable place for this connex - duh!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Squid

great thanks ill check the connections there while i wait for new r/r thats on b/o