General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Noooooooo update!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Noooooooo update!

Upon further inspection I saw this..........don't look good. Can it be salvaged? Upper mount lug cracked.
Attached Thumbnails Noooooooo update!-dscn5340.jpg   Noooooooo update!-dscn5341.jpg  
Old 05-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
It can probably... But I wouldn't... Welding on the frame is a bad thing...
Old 05-02-2010, 03:09 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I disagree. The front stay only holds the cluster and the front fairing. It's not running gear nor is it load bearing. Welding this kind of AL takes some skill so I would take it to a professional for repair. The problem is the bike prob has to be mostly dissasembled to do it right. The repair will probably be 360 degrees around the lug so everything that makes the frame more manageable during that process will prob be helpful. Engine, front end, harness, etc all gotta come out.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
I disagree. The front stay only holds the cluster and the front fairing. It's not running gear nor is it load bearing. Welding this kind of AL takes some skill so I would take it to a professional for repair. The problem is the bike prob has to be mostly dissasembled to do it right. The repair will probably be 360 degrees around the lug so everything that makes the frame more manageable during that process will prob be helpful. Engine, front end, harness, etc all gotta come out.
Well... Since the VTR's frame already have a fairly weak headstock and welding in it changes the material regardless of the skill, I still think it's a bad idea...

But if you do decide to... Bare frame is probably easiest... Droping the engine out isn't that hard...
Old 05-02-2010, 03:47 PM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
I would think that if insurance is involved that they would total this bike for that kind of repair alone not including the other damage that you reported.

Bummer.....

There are options.

You can take the money and buy another. Make sure you take the acc. off that you want to move to next bike.

You can buy the bike back with a now "branded" salvage title, fix it or make it a necked bike. Or you can even buy a different frame from ebay without the salvage title.

Best of luck and keep us posted. We'll be happy to help out.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
USAA ?

That was my next question. How will the insurance handle this? If they total it, and I take the money, will they allow me to remove the accessories. Thanks for the reply and info.
Originally Posted by VTS
I would think that if insurance is involved that they would total this bike for that kind of repair alone not including the other damage that you reported.

Bummer.....

There are options.

You can take the money and buy another. Make sure you take the acc. off that you want to move to next bike.

You can buy the bike back with a now "branded" salvage title, fix it or make it a necked bike. Or you can even buy a different frame from ebay without the salvage title.

Best of luck and keep us posted. We'll be happy to help out.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:57 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The total on my '05 was $3680. KBB is $5050, and they only repair up to 73%. I'd better check that frame lug on mine, since it's still in the shop.

+1 for the guy staying around. About 25 or so years ago, I witnessed a car knock over a bike in a mall parking lot. The guy drove off, so I got his license # and left a note on the bike with my name and phone #. It turned out the bike belonged to a security guard at Sears, and he ran the plate and called the owner. The owner said his car had been home all day. So the guy calls me, and I tell him it was a 16 or 18 year old kid driving. Turns out the a-hole was covering for his son. He fessed up after being told there was a witness.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
In Australia, no question, total write off. Frames are not safely repairable if cracked or marked. It's a question of ongoing legal liability I guess. The resale value of the bike will be seriously hurt too.
Check your insurance policy fine print for the accessory coverage. Most policies here do not cover accessories, so we can take them off and put back the std bits.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Your insurance co. (or the insurance of guy who knocked the bike over) will likely total the bike based on the cracked frame lug.
Bike Bandit shows frames (they list 2, I have no idea what the differences are) at $1700 to near $1900. By the time you add that to the other damaged bits and the labor to do the repairs you'll prolly be over their Total threshold.

As to welding, I would not hesitate to weld MY OWN frame. Aluminum welding is not really a big deal IF you have the proper equipment and skills. There is no way an insurance co. will allow your frame to be welded on their dime.

Rex
Old 05-04-2010, 12:15 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
If it were me I would check with a machine shop to see if they can do it and for how much. I happen to know one and have had a subframe tab welded back to the frame there.

A couple years ago my SH was totaled in a minor accident. It was still rideable and just needed the left fairing replaced. I bought the bike back from the insurance company for $1100, received a check for $3k, and kept on riding. The title was never changed to reflect the incident as far as I know. I sold it to a friend for a decent price. We both made out I'd say.

I also bought a wrecked RC51 whose title was still "clean" somehow. The bike was definitely totaled but was relatively easy to fix in 3 weeks. No title issue.

So it looks like you may be in a similar situation and could stand to have more money in your pocket after the repairs are made than you would lose selling the bike down the road with the accident on its record.