General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Noobie with Questions

Old 02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

cljackson99 is on a distinguished road
Noobie with Questions

Hello. This is my first post on SHF, though I have been lurking here for a while gathering intel on my upcoming motorcycle purchase. I was considering a Suzuki SV1000, as I really wanted fuel injection versus fiddling with carbs, but I'm a Honda man at heart. My greatest love was a 1989 Honda Hawk GT (NT 650) that I bought new in 1992 and just sold in 2005. Started out on a 1985 Nighthawk 650 and have also owned and then sold a Katana 750 and Bandit 1200 over the last nine years. Currently playing with a 1984 Interceptor 500 (VF500F).

But enough background. I'm looking real hard at a 2002 SuperHawk, bone stock with great mileage. Took it for a test ride today (unseasonably warm in central Ohio) and it did the SuperHawk backfire on start-up. From what I can tell, that's to be expected from these things, so that doesn't concern me.

But the PO dropped the bike on its left side and the left muffler sits closer to the rear tire than the right muffler. Nothing looks bent out of shape, so I'm wondering if it's possible the exhaust might have just twisted where the can meets the pipe? Will do aftermarket exhaust eventually, but not right away.

Anything else to watch for when buying a used SH? TIA. You guys are a treasure trove of knowledge and experience and I'm looking forward to joining your riding ranks.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Whats the mileage? Also, check the oil, clutch and brake fluids for discoloration. This will give you an idea how well the PO took care of their bike. Look at the chain, has it been lubed or is junk caked up on it. Ask a lot of questions about what kind of preventative maintenance has been done based on the mileage. What if any after market parts have been added.

Did the PO drop the bike, like in the driveway, or did they lay it down while riding? If it fell over, more than likely the exhaust system needs to be loosened and moved back into place.

Search the KB for the upgrades owners typically do to the SH for better performance. Front suspension, front calipers, s/s lines and carb upgrade are the biggies.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forums! How much is he asking for out of curiosity?

KG

I don't think i'd really worry about hte exahaust to much... as long as the headers are ok it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you plan on upgrading the cans.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

Mileage is under 5K. Fluids look good. Chain looks good. No aftermarket anything. The only thing bugging me is that left exhaust can.

PO claims he dropped the bike while loading it onto a trailer when he bought it last summer. Cracked the plastic and turn signal, which he replaced. Left can has short, shallow groove scratches that seem to confirm his story. Just wondering if the exhaust can be turned or twisted back into place, or if the left passenger peg mount was bent as well.

Looking forward to modding out my SuperHawk once I get one. I spent many hours of frustration/pleasure modding out my old Hawk GT over the years I had it. All part of the joy of ownership. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

The seller's asking price is $4800, though I hope to get it for a couple hundred less. I checked KBB, NADA, and MCN price guides and a fair price looks to be around $4500. Not a bad price for a liter sport bike! And the insurance is so much more digestible compared to the cost to insure the CBR600FI I was considering before rediscovering the SuperHawk.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
FWIW, a rule of thumb on drop damage: if the majority of the marks/scratches are vertical, it was a zero-ish/walk speed drop. If the majority are horizontal or angled, it was at speed. If the marks are heavy in either direction, it was at speed.

Besides the muffler hang tab being bent (easy fix), the aluminum hanger bracket could be knackered also (more expensive fix). VERY high speeds (i.e.; highsides) would bend the subframe and both sides would look off.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Superstock

mikecronis
There are 4 SHawks in Denver at Sun Honda, 2 of which have never been started. Two 2003s and two 2004s. There are 2 more SHawks at Fay Meyers in Denver, a 2003 and 2004 which have never been stared.

So, 4 Shawks with zero miles and 2 more with about 3000 miles. All are going for $4400 (plus or minus $500 amongst the bunch).

You're getting ripped off.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

Wow, wish I lived near Denver! Those are great prices. All the price guides I've checked show a 2002 SuperHawk at an average resale price of $4500. You've got me wondering if any Honda dealers in Central Ohio might be sitting on any leftovers. My old Hawk GT was a 1989 holdover that I bought new in '92. Would love to find another deal like that!

As far as the exhaust scratches, they're horizontal, which would indicate it went down at speed, although the PO claims the bike was dropped while loading it onto a trailer, which makes me wonder if it could have slid after it was dropped. Scratches are less than two inches long at the very back end of the can and not overly deep.

Haven't made an offer yet, as I'm not 100% convinced this is the one for me. So I think I'll contact a few local shops and see what I find. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I owned a 1988 Hawk GT from 1989 until 2005 when it went to a good home. Great bike.
One day when I was in a contemplative mood I spent some time staring at the derriere of my VTR. It had stock pipes and it had tipped over on the left side for reasons that are too embarrassing to mention. The left and right pipes were not symmetrical. I don't recall exactly but either the ends of the pipes were the same distance from the centre line of the tire or the centre line of the rear fender. I couldn't find anything that was bent.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
I bought my 98 hawk w/ 20,084 miles for $2,800. The price does seem to be a bit high... try and talk him down some!

KG
Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cljackson99
although the PO claims the bike was dropped while loading it onto a trailer,!
Err, that's what they all say...LOL
Seems a bit high to me...Whatever the book says, cut that price way down...sorry, don't mean to **** anyone off, but I hate to see ya get jacked...after all, they didn't list it here, and you are coming to the site for anwers...so there ya have it...I'd fly to Denver pick one of those brand new ones up and ride her home!!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

If you guys think $4800 for a 2002 is too much, I hate to tell you what a couple of dealers are asking for '03's around here. One local dealer and another a couple hours away are both asking $6K for 2003's with under 3K miles! One has an undertail upgrade, both both are mainly stock. Youch!

Thanks for the feedback on the pipes not being symmetrical, Comedo. That's really what's keeping me from making the guy an offer, as I suspect the bike went down at low speed and he replaced all the bodywork on the left side but didn't want to mess with the pipe. The seller bought the bike in June 2007, per our DMV website, and has been trying to sell it since October. That quick turnaround has me a little cautious. I've already fallen into the "have the fever, must buy a bike now!" trap once with a Katana 750 I bought in 2000 that wound up having slightly out-of-true forks. I swore I'd be more careful next time, so I am now.

I took the SuperHawk in question for a test ride, slow speed around the seller's neighborhood (got up to 35 MPH for a second). The bike tracked straight with no front end wobble (hands off the bars at about 25 MPH), though it was cold and I didn't get a chance to get the bike up to any reasonable riding speed to see how well she ran. I don't believe the bike has experienced any major trauma, and the title is clean (not salvage), but I just don't trust the seller's story about dropping her.

I like your idea, Kickinchicken996, about flying out to Colorado, buying a bike there, and riding it home. Would make for a great adventure! But I think I'll call this seller and offer him $3800 and see what he says. Will keep you posted.

Thanks all!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Certified Bad Ass
Squid

nw68868 is on a distinguished road
i bought my SH last fall in the southeast. 2001, 7000 miles, original factory condition, only mods a windscreen and baffle-ectomy and i got it for $3000 even.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
I bought my 99' with 2400 miles bone stock for $3500. It was a good find
Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Redtail Raptor
Squid

Heck, you guys are making me think that offering $3800 is too much!! Guess I'll start even lower! Thanks again for the info!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cljackson99
One local dealer and another a couple hours away are both asking $6K for 2003's with under 3K miles! One has an undertail upgrade, both both are mainly stock. Youch!
what a dealer asks and what he'll take is a different story...the SH has never been a real popular sportbike, hence there are many deals out there...