General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

"...the nicest bike that I ever rode."

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
"...the nicest bike that I ever rode."

I bought my 2005 the day after Valentine's Day, it was in great shape - basically stock, 9700 miles. The PO took good care of it, but did not do any of the mods such as TPS adjust, APEs...

I have spent the last 2+ months reading as much as I can about the bike, mostly from this most excellent forum, and wrenching it. You can see my mods in my signature, although I am sure that I have forgotten some of them.

Anyway, I let a friend of mine ride it for a couple of hours while I rode my VFR. This particular friend always has something to f'ing say - you know the guy, we all have a friend like that. When we stopped to get gas, he walked over to me, I thought to myself, here it comes...

All he said was, "This may be the nicest bike that I ever rode". Needless to say, I was speachless. JB
Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Your friend is right.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
That's why there are guys on this Forum who've had their VTR for 12 years.

A friend I ride with has 2 Ducati's, 851 and 998. No doubt his bikes handle better than mine with stock suspension, but they're not quicker. And he won't ride long distances (70+ miles) to get to a road, because he'd be worn out by the time we got there.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
I´m one of those guys, mine will be 13 years in the summer.
I´ve trade bikes with fiends for only 2 times in my life, i believe that things who are rideable don´t should be lent, and that´s for bikes, women, cars or even bicicles.
Anyway one of those times i let my friend ride it and i went in his ninja.
I forgot to warn him about the beast.
In result of that he came out with his legs shaking and his mouth dry.
I´ve tried to sell it for 2 times, the last one was last month, and at the moment of truth i just can´t do it and back off. Luckily i´d say.
It´s like the bike´s under my skin, i can´t explain.
If you´re thinking i´m one of those guys who buy a bike and stick with it for the rest of his life, you´re wrong. I´ve had my share of bikes, cars and boats, but with the VTR is diferent. Don´t ask me why.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Back Marker

luis saleiro is on a distinguished road
Forgot to tell you.
The second time I trade was with an RC 51´s friend, and he was quite impressed with it.
I remember he saying "man, what a mean beast this is, it´s the bike who is more like a tractor i ever rode". And when he took his helmet of the smile on his face tells all.
Has for the rc51, not quite what i expected, a very good bike, but too easy and clean torque.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
11 years and 57,000 miles later, this bike is as much fun to ride now as it was when I first got it.

Name:  VTR98.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  47.1 KB
Old 04-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
And?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:48 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Thirteen years now.

But then when I get something that works, I keep it forever. I'd rather rebuild a worn unit and trust it as opposed to trading 'up', out or over. I rode a '82 R100RS until Honda came forth with the VTR and I still kept the BMW for years after.

Same woman for 35 years, sure, she got a few tweaks and upgrades but she works better than any of them high maintenance twits available today. And no, you can't ride her. (She's dangerous in the corners if you don't know what you're doing.)

I could cut a check and ride what ever is available out there on the show room floor, but really now, what else is there that is light, narrow, smooth, quick, simple to wrench on and doesn't scare the insurance agent? Go ahead, call for a quote on a new RR or GSXR.

Long term drives the dollar cost average way low.

I'm looking forward to the day I qualify for the 'antique' designation on my plate.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Thirteen years now.

But then when I get something that works, I keep it forever. I'd rather rebuild a worn unit and trust it as opposed to trading 'up', out or over. I rode a '82 R100RS until Honda came forth with the VTR and I still kept the BMW for years after.
What a coincidence, I had an '83 R100RS for 15 years before buying my '05 VTR new. I sold the RS about 10 months later...it wasn't getting ridden.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:07 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Thirteen years now.

I could cut a check and ride what ever is available out there on the show room floor, but really now, what else is there that is light, narrow, smooth, quick, simple to wrench on and doesn't scare the insurance agent? Go ahead, call for a quote on a new RR or GSXR.

+1
Old 04-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
Thirteen years now.

Same woman for 35 years, sure, she got a few tweaks and upgrades but she works better than any of them high maintenance twits available today. And no, you can't ride her. (She's dangerous in the corners if you don't know what you're doing.)

I know this is uncalled for ,but when you say we can't ride her,you're refering to the bike, right? Just so we're clear