General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

shes alive!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:12 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
shes alive!

Sorry to make another thread but I'm pumped. My replacement rr came in today and tonite I hooked it up. Drilled some holes and mounted her up. Also there was no ground wire on the wires going to the reg so as tweety suggested I made my own ground off the green wire going to the rr and bolted it with the reg into the frame. Fire the bike up. Voltage was just shy of 15. Turn on the headlight and it barely dropped. I have my headlight shut off during the day to conserve the hids life a bit. Went for a spin and everything seems to be working good. Let's hope this reg lasts more than a week. Lol. Thanks for all the help guys getting me sorted through these issues.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
damn that bike of yours sure has come a long way!! good work on the bike man.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually 15V isn't really good, it's not "bad", but certainly not optimal... It should be at or below 14.5V at almost all the time... Otherwise you are overcharging the battery, which makes for a short lifespan... Especially a GEL battery will die fast at that voltage... And I recall your battery already being somewhat bashed around?

Sorry Uchi, but that aftermarket R/R isn't as good as an R1 R/R... If and when it dies, don't have a replacement in there, do the R1 swap...
Old 04-24-2010, 04:13 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
+1 Tweety, Uchi - how did you measure the voltage, and did you use a good digital meter? Want to be sure of an accurate reading.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:26 AM
SuperBike

I charged the battery up pretty high with my charger after its last visit to low 12v land. So it could have been overcharged from that. Ill take another measurment today when I get home from work. Gonna ride into work. I think the exact numbers were something like 14.8x with the headlight off and around 14.65ish with it on. Maybe a bit higher. Regardless the drop was minimal. I used my truty digitl meter right at the battery. Ill give her another check when I get home let you know what she's at. I'm hoping for a bit of riding with no smokeg reg today. Lol.

Thanks cameron. Went from stock to all of that over the winter. Started out with a simple cct swap and brake upgrade. Lol

R1 rr is getting done if this one pukes again. I only went this route because of the warranty the company offers. It was the big selling point for me.

The battery took a bit of a beating when the last reg died but my buddy was able to revive her and she was holding up under load without any issues. Let's keep our fingers crossed things keep working. I'd love to finally have a day of riding. Lol.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
...I'd love to finally have a day of riding. Lol.
You are right - I rode 200+ miles yesterday, loved it.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:13 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by residentg
You are right - I rode 200+ miles yesterday, loved it.
Bastard. Lol. I've gone out 4 times this year. 2 were supposed to be good and long. Both were cut short due to electrical issues
Old 04-24-2010, 06:28 PM
SuperBike

14.68 with the hid on after I got home. Same as I measured before. And it was steady wasn't moving around at all. So far so good. I'm sure with a halogen bulb it would be closer to 14.5. all in all a successful 25 km ride today to work lunch and home. Lol
Old 04-24-2010, 06:46 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
turn that damn headlite on so some cager doesn't turn it out permanently. glad you're back in business.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
turn that damn headlite on so some cager doesn't turn it out permanently. glad you're back in business.
A Big +1!!!

And I've run with my high beam during daylight hours for the last 20+ years.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 04-24-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
Hey uchi did your RR get hot?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:31 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
14.68 is OK'ish... 14.8 something is not... Run it with the HID on at all times or swap it... Oh and hold it at 5000 rpm and measure, see if it drops... It shouldn't but could drop a little...
Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 AM
SuperBike

ok ill check it in the next day or so

i only ran it off cause the leds on the front are pretty bright, ill start running the hid at all times though, dont have a high beam but the hid is plenty bright and more than visible enough, although were doing a bi xenon setup shortly so i can have a lo and hi combo

as for getting hot, im not sure, i had it mounted in one spot that was off to the side but the tail was hitting it so i moved it in a bit more, where its sitting now theres enough opening in the tail and undertail to flow air to it still. i might cut open the tray behind the battery a little and let more air in but it should be fine. originally i was going to mount it just at the bottom of the gixxer frame right infront of where the tail starts but the thing would have been touching the tail and maybe even my leg and i wanted to avoid any chance of burning my clothes if they were to touch or damage to the body. its also bolted down this time around and i ran a ground from the green rr harness. i pulled the tape back a bit and there wasnt a ground wire coming from it so now it has a nice large guage ground, thicker than the wires that are in the harness
Old 04-25-2010, 05:11 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by doomcookie
Hey uchi did your RR get hot?
the old one did, to the point that it came out in 3 pieces

i think thats from not being bolted down to the frame as we figured out on here and between some of my friends
Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Superstock

I rode my bike for 3 hour to see if mine get hot.. it's not even warm.. Make me want to go check the charge.. hahahaha, everything seem to be fine though
Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Superstock

I want that rear end you got on your hawk. I was going to rc51 fairing, was going to order but i bought something else instead.. kinda regret the decision but hey superhawk still look good.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:44 PM
SuperBike

thanks man, i love the tail on the bike, the only downside is that its a solo setup now and i really have no plans of converting it back as much as id love to throw a passenger on there its just not happening