Newbie to be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Squid

leo4him is on a distinguished road
Newbie to be?

Hello gang...

Chad here in Northern Colorado.

So I'm back in the market for a new bike. If I am honest, which I am, I'm a loyal Kawi ZRX fan. It's all I've ever ridden except for my Ninja in high school and college.

I've been looking for a Rex the past couple of months and have found two that I really like. One of them happens to be at Motorado in the Denver metro area. While looking through their inventory, I happened upon a red 1998 Super Hawk with about 15k miles on it and an asking price of $3625. They say it's a "10".

I don't love red bikes but for some reason it caught and continues to catch my eye.

I know nothing about this bike and especially don't know anything about the v-twin. Both ZRXs I'm looking at are of the 1200R kind.

If I had a gun to my head right now, I'd have to pick the Rex. BUT, for some reason, that Super Hawk has me questioning my decision.

Is there anyone on the board that knows both bikes and can give me a little advice and/or encouragement? I know this is a loaded question, but it's worth a shot right?

I'm actually looking to purchase this weekend. I'll look at both of the Rexes as well as the Super Hawk. I'll give them all a test drive.

Again if anyone on here knows both bikes, let me know what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any information given.

Chad
Old 08-03-2016, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
The rex is the more comfortable of the 2, but it's porky in comparison (I only have 1100 experience). Take a ride on the Hawk and give her a wrist full. Be careful though, the front might come up. And in the curves... Hawk wins.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:57 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Be prepared for the mechanical noise of the engine as they make lots of funny noises.

Also get ready to hear a great soundtrack especially if it has pipes.

Coming from IL4s to a big V Twin for the first time will be an experience.

I have had all sorts of 4s but now only ride Vs as I find them so much more involving to ride and own.

Horses for courses as they say and I'm sure you will make the right decision.

One good thing about the VTR is that it just begs to be modded and has heaps of character.

It also helps if you know your way around bikes as far as maintenance goes if you choose the VTR. Don't be put off by that comment, they just take some time to set up correctly, especially the Carbs!
Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Well Leo, what gives??
Old 08-14-2016, 07:03 AM
Squid

leo4him is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the delayed response guys...

So, the day before I was sent to go look at a SH that I had picked out, a local ZRX popped up on Craigslist. It was a smoking deal that I couldn't resist. I went back to my roots and bought the Rex.

After doing as much research as I have on the SH, I can honestly say it will likely be my next (read second) bike.

Hopefully this isn't blasphemy but here is the ZRX I picked up:
Attached Thumbnails Newbie to be?-image4.jpg   Newbie to be?-image2.jpg